Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post surgery

I have to admit I'm a little jealous, I haven't lost any weight since the surgery. I plan to start exercising this week, maybe that will help.

you will, do not doubt yourself. We are all different and will take weight of at different paces. I have a lot of energy right now and only really rested for three days. I think going back to work and moving around as I am checking out customers all day makes a difference for me. I have been in bed by nine and up between 6 and 7 am, so I am getting a lot of sleep also. Do not give up, we are all in this together and you have taken the biggest step towards a slimmer you already.

I just found this page today....wish I had seen it this time last week! :rolleyes:

I had my surgery on Friday the 8th and I am feeling really good today. I had surgery at 9 in the morning and was home by around 2. I slept most of the day. I was in some pain, but nothing horrible, I just had a hard time sitting up from a laying down position. I needed my husband's help to hoist me up!

I spent the weekend laying around resting, not very hungry, but eating yogurt and applesauce when I could. I actually went back to work Monday. I worked a half day Monday, and then a full day the past two days. I sit at a desk most of the day, and I think getting up and making myself "be presentable" has helped. My belly is still a little sore and I walk slowly, but other that that, feeling pretty good. I did not tell anyone at work that I had surgery, so I am "faking it till I make it!"

I am on full liquids for the rest of the week, and I have found myself hungry the last two days. Looking forward to mushies this weekend!

I did find a Protein shake that I really like....Unjury. I bought a container of the chocolate and mixed it with skim milk--tastes just like chocolate milk. No thick texture or funky aftertaste. After choking down the Bariatric Advantage shakes for the week before surgery--this powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury stuff is a gift from God! The other was like cake batter, which doesn't sound too bad until you try to live on it for a week!

Looking forward to sharing our journeys together!!

Dianne

I just found this page today....wish I had seen it this time last week! :rolleyes:

I had my surgery on Friday the 8th and I am feeling really good today. I had surgery at 9 in the morning and was home by around 2. I slept most of the day. I was in some pain, but nothing horrible, I just had a hard time sitting up from a laying down position. I needed my husband's help to hoist me up!

I spent the weekend laying around resting, not very hungry, but eating yogurt and applesauce when I could. I actually went back to work Monday. I worked a half day Monday, and then a full day the past two days. I sit at a desk most of the day, and I think getting up and making myself "be presentable" has helped. My belly is still a little sore and I walk slowly, but other that that, feeling pretty good. I did not tell anyone at work that I had surgery, so I am "faking it till I make it!"

I am on full liquids for the rest of the week, and I have found myself hungry the last two days. Looking forward to mushies this weekend!

I did find a Protein shake that I really like....Unjury. I bought a container of the chocolate and mixed it with skim milk--tastes just like chocolate milk. No thick texture or funky aftertaste. After choking down the Bariatric Advantage shakes for the week before surgery--this unjury stuff is a gift from God! The other was like cake batter, which doesn't sound too bad until you try to live on it for a week!

Looking forward to sharing our journeys together!!

Dianne

Hi Dianne,

So you like the Unjury...... my nutritionist gave me a sample package to try but I'm on my pre-op liquids so I can't right now. Where did you get yours? I'm glad you are feeling better now, I too have an office job but my doctor told me to take the full 2 weeks off that he recommends so I told my work that I would work from home the 2nd week. I hope that my surgery goes well so that I can get back on my feet fairly quickly. I have a 6 year old and a 13 year old to keep up with!

Faith

I bought my unjury online from their website. I ordered it on Thursday night and it was delivered Monday morning!

My kids are 14 and 18 and very self sufficient. I have to give a hats off to my whole family through this....they have all been very supportive and helpful around the house. I may have gone back to work this week, but I haven't had to do any work around the house which sure makes things nice! Now, I doubt that will last through this weekend, but it was nice while it lasted!

Hi everyone

Ten roughly since band, slight gas pains

But really have no restrictions

Inquired no fill in yet until the 9 of may and basically can eat anything as long as I chew it

Anyone else this way? Only for the incisions you would think I hadnt a band in at all

Off all pain relief.

Clothes feel slightly looser probably Fluid though

No sickness or anything

Is this normal!!!!

Hi everyone

Ten roughly since band, slight gas pains

But really have no restrictions

Inquired no fill in yet until the 9 of may and basically can eat anything as long as I chew it

Anyone else this way? Only for the incisions you would think I hadnt a band in at all

Off all pain relief.

Clothes feel slightly looser probably Fluid though

No sickness or anything

Is this normal!!!!

Yep, I'm exactly the same way, so you're normal :) We're in what is called Bandster Hell - we have the band but it's not filled and we can still eat the way we used to.

Just try to keep things to a minimum. Still take small bites, don't drink with meals (that's my biggest problem), don't go crazy and eat sugar and carbs. Try to be healthy, let your stomach keep healing and drink lots and lots of Water.

I get my first fill on the 5th, so we're in this together.

Yep, I'm exactly the same way, so you're normal :) We're in what is called Bandster Hell - we have the band but it's not filled and we can still eat the way we used to.

Just try to keep things to a minimum. Still take small bites, don't drink with meals (that's my biggest problem), don't go crazy and eat sugar and carbs. Try to be healthy, let your stomach keep healing and drink lots and lots of Water.

I get my first fill on the 5th, so we're in this together.

I can't wait to get to where you are> this 2nd day (really 3rd) of Clear Liquids is killing me. I have been taking in probably around 400 calories a day. I can't tell if this sick feeling that just started is hunger or something else...

So its been over a week and I'm back to normal (new normal) - working and hiking and walking and life as usual. Except for one thing. ... I'm not hungry ...have been forgetting to eat (I'm still on liquids) and am having a hard time getting all my Protein and calories in because I'm just not hungry.

It must be the band working! I cant believe it. Still looking forward to mushies - two weeks of post op liquids ends on Wednesday! Hallelujer!! But this new normal is so wierd...I'm just not focused on food anymore....I feel free. I hope it keeps going in this direction!

So its been over a week and I'm back to normal (new normal) - working and hiking and walking and life as usual. Except for one thing. ... I'm not hungry ...have been forgetting to eat (I'm still on liquids) and am having a hard time getting all my Protein and calories in because I'm just not hungry.

It must be the band working! I cant believe it. Still looking forward to mushies - two weeks of post op liquids ends on Wednesday! Hallelujer!! But this new normal is so wierd...I'm just not focused on food anymore....I feel free. I hope it keeps going in this direction!

Once the swelling goes down you may get hungry, I have. When it comes to eating soft food though my band does tell me when I am full and it happens quite quickly. But like you I returned to my normal self within a week. I have been walking two miles a day and working since day four. Never had any trouble and go in for my first fill on May 3rd. I am at 24 loss and hoping it keeps comming off. Glad you are doing well

I'm on day 3 and feeling much better each day, but did any of you have trouble taking a deep breath after? Dr fixed a hiatal hernia while placing the band, so I assume its from the stitches in my diaphram. Its getting better each day, but that was something I didn't expect. All in all though, a very easy surgery. Much easier than my hysterectomy.

I'm on day 3 and feeling much better each day, but did any of you have trouble taking a deep breath after? Dr fixed a hiatal hernia while placing the band, so I assume its from the stitches in my diaphram. Its getting better each day, but that was something I didn't expect. All in all though, a very easy surgery. Much easier than my hysterectomy.

I'm on post op day 2, but really thinking it should be 3 since i had my surgery early friday morning lol, and today with pain i noticed a significant difference. Yesterday it hurt to get up out of bed, and today everything seems alot easier to me too. I too also feel as if I am not taking in enough deep breahths, even though i did not have a hernia repair. I am using my ics( the toy they sometimes give you at the hospital where you have to inhale to watch the ball go up) to try to inflate my lungs as much as possible. When I do it on my own, they dont feel like they are opening as much., like i am cutting off taking a deep breath....I know sometimes it takes a few days , especially after the tube/general anesthesia for those aveoli in the lower parts of our lungs to open back up and too start doing there thing, so I am just going to keep deep breathing. Glad to hear your surgery went well! I did have my incision open uo, but I have been taking it easy and guess what? It is healing on it's own! I will still go into the doc n monday to verify. But I guess you and I will be on the same page most days... I will be looking for your posts to see if that is how I feel too :rolleyes:

I'm on post op day 2, but really thinking it should be 3 since i had my surgery early friday morning lol, and today with pain i noticed a significant difference. Yesterday it hurt to get up out of bed, and today everything seems alot easier to me too. I too also feel as if I am not taking in enough deep breahths, even though i did not have a hernia repair. I am using my ics( the toy they sometimes give you at the hospital where you have to inhale to watch the ball go up) to try to inflate my lungs as much as possible. When I do it on my own, they dont feel like they are opening as much., like i am cutting off taking a deep breath....I know sometimes it takes a few days , especially after the tube/general anesthesia for those aveoli in the lower parts of our lungs to open back up and too start doing there thing, so I am just going to keep deep breathing. Glad to hear your surgery went well! I did have my incision open uo, but I have been taking it easy and guess what? It is healing on it's own! I will still go into the doc n monday to verify. But I guess you and I will be on the same page most days... I will be looking for your posts to see if that is how I feel too :rolleyes:

Maybe my issue is the aveoli thing--Anyway its getting better day by day. My husband had one of those toys from a surgery he had last winter, but after he came home and stopped using it I threw it away... oops

Today I achieved several firsts. 1. First shower -- really needed it ;) 2. First time I dressed in real clothes -- jeans. 3. First shopping trip - just to the grocery store to get some more carnation instant breakfasts, but I drove myself, so that's a biggie for me, and a definate advantage of being off the pain meds.

So, since you are 24 hours behind me (my surgery was 7:30 am on Thurs) you have a good day to look forward to tomorrow!

Maybe my issue is the aveoli thing--Anyway its getting better day by day. My husband had one of those toys from a surgery he had last winter, but after he came home and stopped using it I threw it away... oops

Today I achieved several firsts. 1. First shower -- really needed it ;) 2. First time I dressed in real clothes -- jeans. 3. First shopping trip - just to the grocery store to get some more carnation instant breakfasts, but I drove myself, so that's a biggie for me, and a definate advantage of being off the pain meds.

So, since you are 24 hours behind me (my surgery was 7:30 am on Thurs) you have a good day to look forward to tomorrow!

Thanks! I hope so!

Today I got great news! No stitches required for my incision because of how well it is healing. On antibiotics now for safety precautions, and was told to eat 1 yogurt a day to prevent yeast infections. So today, for the very first time since wednesday night, I got to eat something besides clears! It was the best yogurt ever! I also am going to take a shower today. Was too afraid to yesterday because of incision issue.

Also, EmptyNest, you were so right, day 3 is ALOT better! I went on a walk with my dog around the neighborhood. Pain is tolerable without pain meds. I can't wear regular clothes yet due to the swelling, but it still felt nice to be outside of the house! So I guess I am at 80% back to normal. Still tired today-had to take a nap earlier. Other than that, going in the right direction!:lol:

For those asking about the issues with taking a deep breathe: I had the exact same issue. I had my surgery on Friday the 8th, and on Monday I was still having trouble taking a deep breathe. No biggie ( I thought) but my husband insisted I call the doctor just in case. I have never had a surgery before, and he just wanted to verify with the doctor just to be on the safe side. I called my doctor Monday morning, but he was out of town so the nurse referred my issue to another doctor in town covering for him. That doctor's nurse said it sounded perfectly normal--probably just the excess gas still in my stomach causing a little less room for my lungs to expand. BUT she wanted to run it by the doctor just in case. By now it is 5:00 on Monday and the doctor's office called back and said they wanted me to go to the emergency room "just in case" there was a blood clot. That can be a side effect from surgery, so he wanted me to get checked out. Great....

So I spent 7 HOURS in the emergency room!! They did a CAT scan, a chest x-ray, EKG, gallons of blood tests, and Lord knows what else. All to be told, yep...nothing wrong. Probably just gas. Nice. Within two days I felt back to normal and all is well.

Then today, the bill for the emergency room came. $7904.50. For gas. Really. Chest pains of a different kind brought on by that damn bill!!! Thank God for insurance...no telling what my out of pocket costs will be on that gem. The good news, I am fine. At 10 days post-op I feel GREAT! Had my follow-up with the doctor yesterday, and I am scheduled for my fill on May 16th. Wish it was sooner because I am hungry, but managably so.