Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cake in soft foods phase?

My fiance's birthday is this Saturday and I was wondering if I would be able to have any cake while I'm in the soft foods phase? My guess would be no but I want to see what you guys think. Thanks!

Probably..but not sure why you'd want it. I mean I'm all for eating what you want but cake so early out? Eh..

Call your doctor and ask them. We shouldn't be giving you advice on what you can eat. That is for your health professionals to guide you on.

But I would say no. Your doctor may say ok .. but cake wasn't on my soft foods list.

I asked my surgeon about ice cream cake, because my birthday was a few weeks after surgery (soft food stage) and I have had ice cream cake on my birthday since I was old enough to tell my mom that's what I wanted. He said "if the only time you eat it is on your birthday once a year, enjoy - just don't overdo it".

It is depending on what your doctor says...I was still on full liquids at two weeks out so i am not sure if your doctor would say go ahead and eat cake.

My fiance's birthday is this Saturday and I was wondering if I would be able to have any cake while I'm in the soft foods phase? My guess would be no but I want to see what you guys think. Thanks!

I second that you should ask your doctor, but I can't see why you shouldn't eat some cake. The point of the soft-food phase is for you to eat things that take little work to move through the stomach. Cake is soft-textured. This phase has nothing to do staying away from "bad" foods. Even if it were, I don't see why having a slice of cake is a problem, unless you know that you wouldn't be able to handle it without going on a binge-fest. Some people feel that they mustn't eat a single bite of junk food, while others manage quite well indulging occasionally.

I don't think you need to call any food permanently off limits... just within reason. However, cake is something my band doesn't like to tolerate. After 2 or 3 bites I can fee I'm about to get stuck. So just eat very very slowly, cakey doughy things give me trouble. Everyone is different, so until you know your band just eat cautiously

I agree - you could probably eat a bite ot two and make sure to chew it good before you swallow...if it is dry you will have trouble, though. I tend to stay away from cake type things (mufins,donuts, etc) as they tend to be dry and will get stuck...which I have found isn't worth it! But a few bites probably wouldn't hurt ya.

Let your conscience be your guide.

Let your conscience be your guide.

Haha, what does this have to do with "conscience?" This isn't a moral decision. It's a decision about health--whether it is harmful to consume a slice of cake in the soft-foods stage, in particular.

Jenn,

I was back on solid foods at 2 weeks, as quite a few people are, so if you're that far along it's probably not a problem from that perspective. However, some people do have problems with things that clump (bread and yes, cake) even before they get a fill, so you may find that you do have difficulty...but might not find it out until you get stuck.

This is just my .02...but our inability to say 'no' and to find 'reasons' to eat got most of us in this position to begin with. There will always be some special event (birthday, holiday, weekend, groundhog day, yada yada) that becomes an 'excuse' to eat the foods that made us fat to start with. At some point you're going to have to decide which is more important...losing the weight...or continuing to find reasons to eat. Part of being successful on this journey is changing our mindset as well. Good luck with whatever decision you come to. :)

Haha, what does this have to do with "conscience?" This isn't a moral decision. It's a decision about health--whether it is harmful to consume a slice of cake in the soft-foods stage, in particular.

I think your conscience has a lot to do with it. You are right, it isn't a moral decision. Even so, I know that my conscience has kept me from eating things that I know are not good for me or the band.

Some people have trouble with bread.. so it might ball up on you, especially since you aren't fully healed. I'm sure a bite or two would be fine. Maybe do some ice cream instead get a low-cal or something?

I would think you'd be okay w/a very, small piece, but I agree that you could ask your doctor.