Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

disappointed... did I make wrong choice?

Hi! I had the surgery on Dec. 8, 2010 and had 3 fills since then. I really haven't lost much and don't feel much of a restriction. I'm starting to wonder if I made the wrong choice about this. I'm so upset with this. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I watch what I eat and still can't figure this out. I think I'm at 8 cc's now if that means anything...

I just was banded last Thursday. They found a Hiatal Hernia, so they opted not to fill my band because of the swelling from fixing it. They told me during my one week post-op, that it takes 3-6 fills to feel the optimum benefit. For me, it may be closer to 6. Don't give up. I just read another post where someone suggested to change calorie intake a couple of times a week and changing your workout routine. I have herd that this works for some. Just some things to consider.

Thanks markwgi. I had hiatal hernia too that was fixed during the surgery. They didn't tell me that it could take that amount of fills. Going to work on meals and exercise to get through this hump. Thanks for the encouragement and good luck to you too!

I just was banded last Thursday. They found a Hiatal Hernia, so they opted not to fill my band because of the swelling from fixing it. They told me during my one week post-op, that it takes 3-6 fills to feel the optimum benefit. For me, it may be closer to 6. Don't give up. I just read another post where someone suggested to change calorie intake a couple of times a week and changing your workout routine. I have herd that this works for some. Just some things to consider.

I was banded in November. Have only lost 15 lbs..-/+ .

first fill 3 cc (7 weeks post op)

2nd fill 1 cc (6 weeks later) -I was very frustrated as I was hungry and wanted more Fluid

Tuesday 1.5 cc (6 weeks later) and had to have 1.1 removed this AM as nothing would go down (not even water).

FINALLY- today - tonight.... I'm not starving, 1/2 normal meal filled me up. Hubby eating in front of me and I was like "yuk"... tongue.gif

I think its just a long...slow process until you hit that "sweet" mark. I did not believe it and was soooo frustrated and ready to pull it out!

Regarding your 8cc~ I would ask the doc to verify.. that sounds like a lot with no restriction sad.gif

Hang in there smile.gif

Hi...You say you haven't lost much...how much is not that much? Also, you should add some exercise, a little goes a long way at first. That will get your weight loss moving.

The band is just a "tool", it is not a miracle cure...I have had my band for 4 yrs as of March 27th. It has been a journey and will continue to be. I have gone over a year without a fill and had it wide open...gained ten pounds and started over several times...It has only been 4 months for you...if you lost at least 15 lbs in 4 months, I would say it is not a mistake. If you know that you are really truely not eating the way you should (honestly) then rethink your stratagies...you will find out what works and what doesn't. I was drinking grande white choco mochas and when I wasn't losing, it was a sad realization of what I had to do...as soon as I quit drinking them I dropped 15lbs in a month....changing nothing else.

Watching what you eat is important, just as important if not more is WHAT you drink. Without knowing what you are in fact eating or drinking it is hard to tell...Lattes and Mochas super high calories and fat...carbonated drinks...and Protein drinks with xtra carbs or milk. Read the labels, on foods as if you didn't have the band...I stick with as much straight up protien foods as possible, low low carbs, low low sugar...Lots of Water...Green Tea...I kinda follow an Atkins type diet, and quit eating before you feel full.

You want to eat foods that can sit in your pouch a little longer. ...and you will stay fuller longer, so you don't want to snack between meals. You will find that your body will tell you when you are done, before your brain will tell you.. With the band you may have little hiccups or subtle little twinges...if you quit eating for 15minutes you will find you are full and don't need another bite. Do you have support groups in your area? Definitely go...you can address all your concerns and meet people with the same concerns and issues and get good ideas...

I think you made the right decision if you are in the same boat in a year...then I would worry..it is all trial and error right now...Good Luck!!

How much is "not much weight loss?" You should be losing 1-2lbs a week. Are you following your 900-1200 calorie a day diet and exercising? If not, you can't blame the band... gotta blame yourself. The band does it job, of making you less hungry, you have to do yours. You may not necessarily feel super full, and it will never stop what you put in your mouth, it is up to you to make those decisions.

Hi and thanks for the input. I did lose about 10 lbs. since the surgery so I guess that's not "nothing". I just thought I would feel more restriction than I do abd the weight would melt off. As far as dieting, I really do watch what I eat as I have been for years now. I do know that I need to boost the exercise and I'm looking into different classes. The surgeon that I used is an hour away so I haven't made any trips to support groups since the fall. I hope to get there once this weather breaks. I know it's not the band's fault. I blame myself. The band is a tool. I just expected a quicker response to it. Any suggestions on any "filling" Breakfast ideas. I've been eating a serving of oatmeal with fruit for about 3 years now and I'm hungry after about 2 hours. So, I thought that's where I can make an adjustment. Thanks and have a good day!

Hi! We had surgery the same day!! I'm not at my sweet spot yet either, I only go about 2 to 3 hours after eating and start feeling hunger pains.

I have found however that eating straight up Protein keeps me full way longer. Scrambled eggs and turkey sausage. Or, tuna/chicken salad on a wheat pita. Things of that nature for breakfast or lunch really really keep me full.

Oatmeal doesn't keep me full at all. In fact, even after an hour or so of eating it I'm no longer satiated. Maybe if you step up the Protein consumption it will help until you get more restriction.

We are in bandster hell my dear until we get some restriction. I'm right there with ya at times.

Good luck! smile.gif

I was banded two days before you. I have also had three fills, and am currently at 8cc in a 14cc band. If I eat dense Protein, like grilled chicken or steak, i do feel restriction after a few ounces. Things can get stuck if I don't eat properly. If I eat slider foods, I can eat till the dish is empty and not feel anything. So what I eat makes a huge difference.

As for your weight loss and diet, I'd suggest you analyze what you're eating, how many carbs vs. how much Protein, and what those calories are made up of. Too many carbs means you're eating more sugar than you realize, and your body tuns that into fat. If you've been eating oatmeal with fruit every day for three years, how about giving your stomach something else to eat for a change? Change up your meal routine, and eat something else for breakfast for awhile. Have some protein-based meals first thing in the morning - it gives your system something else to work on. It also balances your blood sugars, which can cause peaks and valleys in your energy balances every day. If your blood sugars are more balanced, you won't have cravings, and are less likely to eat something you shouldn't. Evaluate your calories consumed every day. If things are too low, your body could be fighting a starvation mode thing, and you won't lose much weight because it's holding onto every calorie thinking you're starving it. Actually eating more calories can make you lose weight. Weird concept, but it works.

If you're exercising, are you doing the same thing every day? Do different things. Are you exercising long enough? It takes 20 to 30 minutes of aerobic activity just to get your system warmed up. Fat burning happens after that. So if you're riding a bike for fifteen minutes a day, for example, guess what? You aren't helping yourself much. And all that can result in slow weight loss, because all you're doing is maintaining your current weight. You've heard about exercise programs that are based on muscular confusion - the concept is to cause your body to not know what's coming next, so it reacts with muscle growth or toning, or whatever you're trying to achieve. Try new stuff, do different exercises, and listen to what your system is telling you.

All else being said, if you keep doing exactly what you've been doing, but you increase your activity level, you'll burn more calories, and that will eventually result in weight loss.

Good luck!

Dave

Glad i posted on here b/c now I know that I'm not the only one. Thank you so much for all of the great feedback. i do feel better now. I'm going to try a Protein shake and a piece of fruit OR hard boiled eggs for Breakfast tomorrow. Let's ee how that works!

Hi! We had surgery the same day!! I'm not at my sweet spot yet either, I only go about 2 to 3 hours after eating and start feeling hunger pains.

I have found however that eating straight up Protein keeps me full way longer. Scrambled eggs and turkey sausage. Or, tuna/chicken salad on a wheat pita. Things of that nature for breakfast or lunch really really keep me full.

oatmeal doesn't keep me full at all. In fact, even after an hour or so of eating it I'm no longer satiated. Maybe if you step up the Protein consumption it will help until you get more restriction.

We are in bandster hell my dear until we get some restriction. I'm right there with ya at times.

Good luck! smile.gif

Hi! I had the surgery on Dec. 8, 2010 and had 3 fills since then. I really haven't lost much and don't feel much of a restriction. I'm starting to wonder if I made the wrong choice about this. I'm so upset with this. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I watch what I eat and still can't figure this out. I think I'm at 8 cc's now if that means anything...