Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Having Surgery while having your "Monthly"?

Ok I know it probably won't matter, but not to be gross, I tend to have a "heavy" first few days and this is when I will be having surgery. I was wondering if this will be a problem? Anyone else had their "monthly" on surgery date?

Yeah I was at the end of mine. Shouldn't be a problem just let them know and they should put a pad under you for surgery. No tampons though.

Thank goodness I had mine the week before BUT my friend who had the surgery was on hers and they just put some pads under her during and after surgery.

I was on mine too for my last 2 surgeries. The first one I was mortified and actually crying pre-op because I had to have a catheter put in. The LapBand surgery I didn't need a catheter so they just give a monstrosity of a pad and these funky underwear to put on.

They've seen worse. wink.gif

I was on mine too for my last 2 surgeries. The first one I was mortified and actually crying pre-op because I had to have a catheter put in. The LapBand surgery I didn't need a catheter so they just give a monstrosity of a pad and these funky underwear to put on.

They've seen worse. wink.gif

I would have probably cried too! :( But I really hope they dont schedule mine around my monthly! Its going to be hard enough being naked in front of a room full of strangers!!!

I'm sure there's some sort of "No Tampon" rule, but I'd disobey it and just cross my fingers that there wasn't any urgent business being done in my girl hole while I'm under, lol. I'd also tuck that string in, lol.

Bad advice? I got plenty!

I would have probably cried too! :( But I really hope they dont schedule mine around my monthly! Its going to be hard enough being naked in front of a room full of strangers!!!

You'll never know it. They wait to uncover you until you're fully under. Don't stress. They do this every day.

I'm sure there's some sort of "No Tampon" rule, but I'd disobey it and just cross my fingers that there wasn't any urgent business being done in my girl hole while I'm under, lol. I'd also tuck that string in, lol.

Bad advice? I got plenty!

Hahahahahahahaha!!!

This cracked me up. I have 6 minutes left in my work day and what a way to end it. laugh.giflaugh.gif

lmao @ Spot!

I think I just pee'd myself! Spot that was so friggin funny! They are looking at me at work wondering why the heck my mascara is running down my face!

I too am hoping that I don't have "it" during surgery but my system is so screwed up now because they wanted me off the Pill for 30 days so I'm a week early and it has been a nightmare! I don't know when the next Monthly will show up....part of the reason I love being on the PIll!

I'm going just pray that it doesn't arrive and then take Spots advice...and laugh the whole time because I'll be reading that post over and over in my mind....so hilarious

Just a word to the wise, you can not 'sneak' a tampon. I read that the carbon fibers in tampons interfere with some surgical equipment or gas, I am not sure. The nurse, pre-op will give you a pad and some sort of mesh underwear. Also, I am not sure what a catheter has to do with your period? The place that gets a catheter is not the same place that bleeds during a period. So, the catheter would not have been used 'in stead' of a tampon or pad. Good luck and please check with the nurse, they have seen it all.

I was seriously going to post the same topic today. Unfortunately I have a very heavy period right now.....and tomorrow is my surgery day! Ugh. To make matters worse, when I had my upper endoscopy at the hospital, I had my period as well(about a month ago...ugh)...and well...I had a pad on and I totally left a quarter size blood mark on the stretcher. I was MORTIFIED, but the nurse was so sweet to me and gave me another pad and told me not to worry...things like this happen all the time. So I'm not thrilled about going into surgery tomorrow w/a heavy flow....but it is what it is I guess. Doesn't help that I'm bloated and drinking broth(even reduced sodium bloats me), I hope I don't gain like 2 lbs today! Ugh! At least surgery day is tomorrow! Woohoo! Gotta look at the positive side of things, lol.

Just a word to the wise, you can not 'sneak' a tampon. I read that the carbon fibers in tampons interfere with some surgical equipment or gas, I am not sure.

I'm not finding anything on the internet on the topic, other than what us non-doctors say and think. I have read a few posts on other boards while looking, and some people have said their surgeons are fine with it. If you're right though, by all means, everybody bleed all over the table, lol.

One can sneak a tampon though, unless there are vag searches. I'm reading about a lot of people who have worn one during short procedures.

I do think if one was to sneak a tampon, they should tell their significant other, or a family member, should things go bad and you're doped up in the hospital for the day. That way they can rat you out to the nurse and they can remove it.