Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

when does band/chest pain go away?

i'm 2 weeks post op and i still have band pain in the middle of my chest. not all the time but often enough to bother me. also, i can feel that there's something there, especially when i'm laying on my side sleeping. when does the band pain and sensation of there being something there go away? or after you've had it for a long time, can you still sense that there's something in there? i hope not.

bumping because i'm in pain!! ahhhhh!!! i'm going to call my dr tomorrow. would appreciate comments from anyone if they had chest pain as long as 2 weeks after surgery though so i can sleep better tonight and not worry so much. thanks!

Do you have fill in your band which was put in at surgery? If so, have it removed.

You should call you surgeon. Chest pain should not be ignored.

Keep us posted.

no, no fill in band yet. still trying to get in to see one of the doctors who is filling in for mine while he's out of town. i'm just worried because i have intermittent pain in the middle of my chest about 80% of the time. and even when i don't have pain, i feel like i can feel something in side of me. that was one of my questions i asked because i didn't want to have the sensation of being able to feel that there was something inside of me. apparently no one else does, except me. and everyone else was feeling pretty good after about a week. but here i am 2 and a half weeks later and having pain and fatigue.

Hi, I dont want to worry you, but did they give you a barium swallow test before you went home? I am just wondering because maybe the band slipped or is not in the proper place. I hear that they do the test to make sure it is in the correct position before you go home. Good luck and please be assertive with the doctor, sometimes they act like pain is all in our heads, Make sure they know that you are serious. Post again to let us know what happened.

ugh, 4 hours in the ER. had a cat scan and band is in right place. my dr is out of town and the dr on call for him was in surgery all day so my dr's nurse came over. she said that even if the band is empty when put in they test it some air may have been left in it. so she stuck a huge needle in me (not a good time! not looking forward to fills!) and extracted a lot of air that was in the band and i immediately felt a ton better. i had chest pain like 80% of the time and felt like i had made a huge mistake by getting this surgery. feeling a lot better and back home :-)

Glad to hear your feeling better :) I have chest pains but I just barely had my surgery yesterday :) Best of luck to you!

update about my nightmare. i woke up yesterday after having some excess air taken out of my band to loosen it (there is no Fluid in it) the day before and finally felt normal for the first time in 2.5 weeks since the surgery. was so happy and thought everything was going to be fine and the chest pain was gone. i stayed on liquids yesterday and then mid day the chest pain started again and lasted the rest of the day and thru the night. so painful. had to take the codeine and tylenol that was given post op.

my dr gets back tomorrow after being out of town for a week and i will see him tomorrow or tuesday. i just really, really hope he has a solution but i'm not feeling very hopeful. there is nothing in my band yet it's causing extreme pain (ER dr said it's not slipped, based on the cat scan). i'm just really afraid i'm going to have to get it removed. i'm self pay so i will have to go through surgery again and pay another $16k. $32k down the drain for weeks of pain. i feel like i made the worst decision of my life by doing this. i knew going in that some people do great and have no problems and that others experiences issues, so i felt like it was kind of a crapshoot and i just had to roll the dice. losing weight was worth the risk to me, but now i really wish i wouldn't have done it. very sad.

We are going to remain optimistic. Your doctor is going to figure out the cause of the pain and it is going to be something minor that can be corrected without have the band removed. :rolleyes:

Hi - I just wanted to let you know that about 4 weeks after surgery, I too had shocking pain in my chest (right in the centre) and also in my back between my shoulder blades. I went to my doctor who sent me to the hospital as he was concerned I had a blood clot. CT scans showed that I didn't. I was told that i had viral pleurisy that had absolutely nothing to do with the band. I was on really strong pain killers as well and after about 2 weeks the pain has subsided. The pain was excruciating but I was glad it had nothing to do with the band.