Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sort of got my feelings hurt...

There's a girl in one of my classes that I have a lot in common with. We've hit it off great and the professor put us in a group together for a class project. We were talking the other day and she's like I've lost 100 pounds. I had gastric bypass. So I admitted that I've had Lap Band.

She basically rolled her eyes at me. She asked me how I ever weighed enough to have surgery, then she told me she started out at 350 pounds. She acted like it was only acceptable to do weight loss surgery if your 300 to 350 pounds to start with.

Now I don't feel like telling her anything else. I think she thinks I took the easy way out and I'm not sure why. She's obviously dealt with the same struggles that I have.

Why do I even let this stuff bother me?

I'm not sure why someone who had a bypass would think a band was the 'easy way out' since many would consider bypass far easier than the band. Bypass patients start losing from the day of surgery and are expected to lose about 2/3 of their excess weight just from the surgery. We all know the band does not work nearly that 'easily'. Sounds more like she takes some kind of personal pride in her accomplishment because she had so much to lose. I'd just ignore her.

I dont want to make anyone mad, but with the bypass you tend to lose automatically because they have taken away part of your stomach and you really cant eat that much. I know that it stretches eventually after a couple of years and then you will eat more. But you lose alot upfront.

With the band you have to work alot harder because all you have is restriction, but there are tons of foods that will go through that and make it to your other part of the stomach.

You have to work alot harder with the band as far as willpower.

If you are obese and have trouble getting the weight off then anything you can do to take care of it and KEEP it off is a good thing, no mater if you are 30 bmi or 80 bmi. That is why they created the band isnt it, as an alternative to bybass for people that need help that may not have a really high bmi. That is why they lowered the threshold to 30 bmi per the FDA.

Anyway, just ignore her. Either one that a person chooses is a choice that they make to make their life healthier. Keep up the good work.:)

me again :lol: I have a relatively low BMI. around 36. But I could care less what anyone says about me doing it or why I am doing it. My doctor said I would do well with it and it is my body and I am going to rock it (soon).

She's just jelous because your's was cheaper and less painful. LOL :lol:

JK if you are a bypass person. I really dont mean any harm.:rolleyes:

I've gotten a LOT of flack from bypass patients about my band choice...just ignore her snotty butt lol and tell her you have to work VERY hard because you went with the option that doesn't remove your gut to cheat the food you put in your mouth. (sorry)

Well - I'm not as nice as most of you. LOL

I'd say something like, "Well, at least I won't look like a deflated balloon when I'm finished losing weight."

OMG, toooo funny!

Well - I'm not as nice as most of you. LOL

I'd say something like, "Well, at least I won't look like a deflated balloon when I'm finished losing weight."

^^:rolleyes:^^ Nice!

Ah don't worry! The band isn't built to lose hundreds of pounds. You are in the proper weight range for it. (judging by your ticker)

What is she bragging she weighed more before she took control? That isn't an accomplishment... yea the band is an easier option, but cutting up your insides isn't an option or practical for everyone

So basically, you were not "fat" enogh in her opinoin?! Would she rather you waited until you had 200# to lose like her? She is entitled to her views as are you. Some things are best not discussed with some people and I'd stay away from the weight loss/surgery topic with her!

As my mother used to say, "to each his own."

You are doing great and don't let her spoil your mood!

Joan

People are unbelievable! A girl in my office (no one in my office knows I had the surgery) made a comment that the band doesn't work and that if she were to have WLS, that she would get Gastric Bypass because "that's the one that really works".

Jealousy.....jealousy. We women are interesting aren't we? Now we compete to see who was fatter? Who was more deserving? I would call her on it.

On a similar note, I wrote on my blog yesterday about a women at my gym who came up to me and asked me how the heck I was losing so much weight, and I wrote that I was tempted to say, I eat very little and work out a lot. But I couldn't bring myself to not tell her the whole story. ONLY BECAUSE I DIDN'T WANT HER TO FEEL LIKE SHE SUCKED at dieting. I wanted her to know that I had some ADDITIONAL help - and not to feel discouraged.

We are supposed to support and cheerlead eachother. It's not a competition.

I tell everyone about my surgery if it comes up about my losing weight. I also thought about hiding it but I don't want anyone to find out I was banded and then think I was a liar or "took the easy way out". Like it's been sooooo easy. I just say to them I've been dieting really hard, lots of liquid dieting but I haven't been that hungry because I got banded. I'm proud of it. Proud of the fact that I realized I was headed for 300lbs if I didn't do something now. If someone brings me down like that I consider them toxic in my life and move on.

I tell everyone about my surgery if it comes up about my losing weight. I also thought about hiding it but I don't want anyone to find out I was banded and then think I was a liar or "took the easy way out". Like it's been sooooo easy. I just say to them I've been dieting really hard, lots of liquid dieting but I haven't been that hungry because I got banded. I'm proud of it. Proud of the fact that I realized I was headed for 300lbs if I didn't do something now. If someone brings me down like that I consider them toxic in my life and move on.

Before I got banded, I was like NO WAY am I telling anyone. Once I did it, I was like WAIT, this is not the easy way out - WE ARE BRAVE PEOPLE. And I like how you put it.... we do the eating, the band controls the hunger. Nice.

i'm finding that there are those (not everyone) who have had WLS are defenders that their way is the only way and all other types of WLS is wrong! Heatherinca stated it best....to each his/her own.... What is right for one is not right for another. We as advocates for our own bodies and psyches choose which WLS is best for us as individuals and it really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. Whether you are 80 lbs or 280lbs over weight it matters how you feel about yourself and as long as it is appropriate and the method that you participate in is your choice is the only thing that counts. imho....

Sometimes people cannot focus on the bigger picture that what should be celebrated is that both of you are doing something that is positive and will be rewarding in the long run. Don't let her get you down, it is sad that she is in school to further her education, perhaps learn that the world is not as black and white as she has previously been led to believe only to be trapped in her own narrow minded world....With that I am almost done with my own snarkiness!

Mrs Cabes " look like a deflated balloon" too funny! LOL you have made my day!

I am now done with being snarky!