Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Should I be concerned?

Hi, My surgery is scheduled in May. Everything went very smoothly for me. I have BC/BS insurance and I only had to do a psych eval. Once that was done, I received a call that my paperwork went through and I was given a surgery date. Now I have to see the physician;s assistant to review my information and then go over to the hospital for pre admission testing three weeks before surgery. The only time I see the surgeon is the iniital appt? Also, there were no pre surgery tests or procedures that everyone else talks about. No post surgery barium test? I am getting very worried. My surgeon has the designation "bariatric surgery of excellence" but from what I read on these forums, he does not do anything like all of you have been through. I am getting cold feet from all this worry. He does not even suggest support groups or getting any other assistance to help with all the changes comming up. I am so worried I dont know what to do.

Mine has been kinda like that also. You can see all of my stuff that I have done down below and I have done this all the month of march. It will be a little over a month when all is said and done. It might be that you are fairly healthy and are not a high risk for surgery is why you havent had as many tests as everyone. That is the way I am. I dont really have any problems other than my joints.

I would talk to them more about support though. That seems to be a big help during the weight loss phase. You will want to get all the support you can. I would check with the doctor or nurse and see if they have someone available that will mentor you. I am going to be working with a friend of mine that went through this a year ago.

I am not a big worrier, so I am just going with the flow. My doctor's success rate (as far as fatalities) is very very good. Make sure that you have researched the doctor and check his stats for his surgeries.

Good Luck,.

I guess every surgeon is different. Mine made me have every test under the sun...I have never been so well acquainted with my insides!

Honestly, if you are really concerned with the way the surgeon is handling things, go somewhere else. You are the master of your own health and if you aren't comfortable, shop around until you are. This is a big step in your life and you should feel confident that your surgeon and the rest of the team will do everything in their power to help you through. I'm not sure what area you are in but if you are in the Long Island area my surgeon was Dr. Geiss and I've been pretty happy with him and his team so far. Otherwise contact your insurance company to see what other surgeons are covered and make an appointment. Good luck!

Hi, My surgery is scheduled in May. Everything went very smoothly for me. I have BC/BS insurance and I only had to do a psych eval. Once that was done, I received a call that my paperwork went through and I was given a surgery date. Now I have to see the physician;s assistant to review my information and then go over to the hospital for pre admission testing three weeks before surgery. The only time I see the surgeon is the iniital appt? Also, there were no pre surgery tests or procedures that everyone else talks about. No post surgery barium test? I am getting very worried. My surgeon has the designation "bariatric surgery of excellence" but from what I read on these forums, he does not do anything like all of you have been through. I am getting cold feet from all this worry. He does not even suggest support groups or getting any other assistance to help with all the changes comming up. I am so worried I dont know what to do.

I think a lot depends on what your height and weight plus health is at the time of your first visit. I have only had one appointment with the surgeon and my date for surgery is the 20th of April. So far I have seen the nurse (who weighed me), the Dr, the money guy (lol), had a psych eval and seen the nutritionist today.....that's it. He doesn't have me on liquids for 2 weeks before surgery, no Atkins or that type of pre diet. I am going to do it anyway as the nutritionist said it gives you a great jump start.

All I had to do in advance was blood work, an EKG and a chest xray (because I used to smoke). I had no pre-op diet and no post-op barium swallow. My surgeon is also in a center of excellence.

I have had no problems. In fact, I believe the skill of my surgeon greatly reduced my post-op recovery time and I believe she was very knowledgeable about band placement. Hey, I'm down 53 pounds since December 9 - haven't had a fill yet - and I'm feeling like it has been a pretty easy road for me.

I wonder if the surgeons that do only WLS are so familiar with the procedure that they just don't make you go through any unnecessary stuff.

Most people get pre-surgery jitters - I did too but haven't regretted my decision.

Thanks everyone, maybe I won't worry so much, I have read so many bad things here that I expected to have problems like everyone else. I guess maybe the center of excellence surgeons dont make us jump through hoops like some doctors., Anyway, thanks for all the replies, I am starting to relax and try not to be so worried.:lol:

Yea I did blood work and EKG, but same, I only saw my surgeon at the consolation.

I wouldn't worry, it's a simple surgery.

I had no pre-op testing, nothing, no seminar and no psych eval. I had a long consult and spoke with the NUT, then had surgery 3 weeks later. I did an Atkins pre-op diet for 2 weeks. I have not really had problems and my surgery went well.

Wow. I only wish I didn't have to go through all these hoops! But in my case most of it if for insurance reasons. They are the ones that require the supervised diet, EKG, blood work, and psych eval. My dr. asks for the sleep study because the anesthesiologist wants to know if I have apnea before he puts me to sleep. And my dr. suggests the support meetings because studies show that those who have more support do better. So I guess there's a reason for everything, but it sure is a pain to be going to so darn many appts. right now. But you know what? There are those who go to Mexico and self-pay and don't have to do any of this stuff and most of the time they do OK too.

From the time I called Slimband to the time I had surgery was a total of three weeks. I never met a doctor until moments before surgery. In fact - I didn't meet anyone from Slimband at all until I arrived at their medical centre in Toronto an hour before my surgery!

I did talk to one of their representatives over the phone, and had a medical questionaire to send them back (after which time, their nurse called to discuss everything). They also sent me a form to get blood tests and an EEG done, as well as instructions for their one-week pre-op diet.

So - no psych evaluation, no face-to-face consults, no lengthy waits...it was a very simple process.

That said - I'm self-pay (goodbye $16,000!) so maybe that's why it's slightly different.

But hey - the surgery went well, and I feel like I'm on the road to a new me, so it's all good :)

Good luck!

I've seen my surgeon twice...at the initial consult and last week at my pre-op appointment. I've had blood work (twice), EKG, chest x-ray, upper gi and montly visits to the PCP. These are requirements by the surgeon and not necessarily by the insurance company. I also have to have an upper gi again before I can leave the hospital because they want to make sure everything is in place and there are no problems before I go home.

My surgeon belongs to a center of excellence as well. I had no waiting period, no pre-op diet, I left the hospital on full liquids, I was on normal foods 2 weeks post-op. I met the surgeon 1 time to discuss whether I wanted a Realize band or the LapBand, then saw him again before I went into the OR.

All our experiences are different, please don't start out by comparing yourself to others on the board here. biggrin.gif You'll be fine!

I only have met my surgeon once at the pre-op appt. He is real easy about the pre-op diet. He said to lose a couple of pounds. I did have blood work, EKG, and nutrionist also but all very easy. My BC/BS approved in 3 days! I am so excite (and nervous). Good Luck!

I went to the seminar as my first step, but it was required by my surgeon anyway (and my surgeon is the one whpo present, that's how I picked him). I had a sleep study to prove a comorbidity to insurance. No other testing. Just my initial consultation where they did my height, weight, blood pressure, and the surgeon looked at my belly and listened to my heart and lungs. No EKG, barium, ect. I saw the surgeon at that consult, then not again until the day of surgery. (a psych eval was also required)

The clinic I'm at does have a big support system. I think that is key, but can be found outside of the surgeon's office.

do you have a point person at your dr's office you could talk to about your concerns? i only saw my surgeon once at my initial eval. had pre-surgery tests for heart, lungs, upper GI (i'm self pay so these were surgeon requirements not by an insurance co). did not have a post surgery barium test nor any support group info. so, besides the pre surgery tests, my experience has been similar. but if it makes you uncomfortable, definitely listen to your intuition and talk to someone at the office. or see if there's another good surgeon in your city that might have different procedures.