Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you weigh-in daily? weekly? monthly?

I was banded almost 4 weeks ago, but I need some help from more "experienced" bandsters. I only weigh in when I go to my doctor's office (which is once per month). I notice that if I weigh every day, I becaome obsessed with a number. I can gain and lose 5 or more pounds of Water weight in a day and seeing a higher number on the scale can discourage me and push me into my old ways of depressed, emotional eating.

On the other hand, staying more accountable and weighing more often may be better, so if there is a problem with my loss, I can catch it earlier? Is weekly the optimum weigh-in amount?

Opinions and input welcome!

(next WI is 3/30/11....according to endo, I've lost at least 20 lbs!)

i weigh myself everyday. it's not necessarily the optimal situation, but i've been doing it for 6 months; so it's just become habit. i think the optimal would be to weigh in weekly. since i started noting my weekly number, that has helped me a lot more than looking at the daily number.

I weigh myself every Sunday morning as soon as I wake up. Weekly weighing, in my opinion, is optimal. Weighing on a daily basis is too much of a head game as the scale can, will, and does fluctuate so much. I became a "scale slave" and slowly broke the habit. It was hard but as long as I tracked my calories and exercised, I knew I wasn't gaining.

I'm not opposed to weighing once a month however. I think with such a long time period you'd actually start to focus on other successes outside of the scale, including your clothes fitting smaller, compliments, feeling better physically/emotionally, etc.

I believe those looking to maintain their weight-loss should weigh in daily, if not every 2 days, just to ensure they are still on track.

I weigh weekly because the daily fluctuations would drive me crazy & I only see my doctor every 6 weeks which seems like too long to wait. Down 41 lbs in 3.5 months.

I weigh daily but only record my weight weekly...it works for me but is not necessarily for everyone...but I don't let myself obsess with the day to day fluctuations but I feel like, for now at least, I need it to keep me accountable.

I weigh daily but only record my weight weekly...it works for me but is not necessarily for everyone...but I don't let myself obsess with the day to day fluctuations but I feel like, for now at least, I need it to keep me accountable.

I'm the same way, Vicky; I weigh in daily just to see how my weight is doing and make adjustments accordingly, but only record my weight once a week. I know a lot of people think daily weigh ins are a bit obsessive but sometimes I need that reminder, especially if I ate something the day before I know I shouldn't have...

I weigh myself daily, but I only record it weekly. I weigh daily knowing the ups and downs but do it mainly to start my day knowing I have to keep my head in the game to get the most out of my band. My weekly weight I record in my journal where I also record my excersice and my blood pressure also. Every other week, I record my waist measurement too. I don't record my weight from my surgeons office as my appointments are not always on the same day nor at the same time of the day. This is what I do.

I agree with others that a once a week weigh in is probably ideal. That's what I did while I was loosing. I think it's just often enough. I also agree with the poster who said a daily weigh in when maintaining is probably good. Now that I am maintaining, I weigh myself every day. I try not to let the daily flucuations get to me, trying to stay within a 3-4 pound range.

I was banded almost 4 weeks ago, but I need some help from more "experienced" bandsters. I only weigh in when I go to my doctor's office (which is once per month). I notice that if I weigh every day, I becaome obsessed with a number. I can gain and lose 5 or more pounds of Water weight in a day and seeing a higher number on the scale can discourage me and push me into my old ways of depressed, emotional eating.

On the other hand, staying more accountable and weighing more often may be better, so if there is a problem with my loss, I can catch it earlier? Is weekly the optimum weigh-in amount?

Opinions and input welcome!

(next WI is 3/30/11....according to endo, I've lost at least 20 lbs!)

The bariatric nurse in my doc's practice suggested only weighing in once a month at the doctor's office. This worked for me, especially since the scales I could get for home couldn't weigh me. It was difficult but it was a good hting because rather than seeing 1/2 pound at a time I got to see bigger nmbers which were very motivating and I used my clothes and how I felt the rest of the time. I must say for a while at 3 months or so out I did weigh once a week at the doctor's office, but that got old so I went to once a month. As you get down there - you may want to weigh a little more often if it helps "keep you honest" It really is a personal decision.

I'm with a lot of the others, I do weigh daily, but I only record weekly. The daily numbers you have to be careful with, because my numbers fluctuate greatly. I seem to go up in the middle of the week then go back down toasted the end. It is annouing

I am addicted to weighing myself daily!!!!!! I wish I could stop but I can't! I may have to give my scale to my neighbor and tell her to bring it over to me once a week or something lol! Congrats on your weight loss!

I am addicted to weighing myself daily!!!!!! I wish I could stop but I can't! I may have to give my scale to my neighbor and tell her to bring it over to me once a week or something lol! Congrats on your weight loss!

LOL Maybe you should give your scale away for a while. You are doing great!

I weigh daily, I was doing it weekly, but I like daily better.. yes it fluctuates, but if I'm totally off base with my diet, I like to know sooner than later.

I weigh daily, I was doing it weekly, but I like daily better.. yes it fluctuates, but if I'm totally off base with my diet, I like to know sooner than later.

Each of our journeys are so different and for some of us daily weighing will work best, others weekly weighing will work best, and others monthly weighing works best. That's what is so great., we can each find what works best for us and follow that pattern. For me, journaling works well when I want to be in weight loss mode or when I've fallen off the wagon along with weekly weighing. At the beginning, monthly weighing and journaling worked best, but then I had a huge amount of weight to lose. You can follow my journey at Sandi's Banded Living.