Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Needing support.

So I could really use some support with this band. Is anyone interested in maybe swapping emails and being like weightloss buddies? To check in on one another and seeing how each other is doing?

I'm feeling really discouraged at the moment. I'm 2 weeks post op this morning and the scales a little high. I know not to expect weightloss the first 6 weeks.. I'm just, conflicted. Yesterday I met 3 people who had the band and all were still severely overweight. I'm scared I wasted a lot of money and I just want to feel better about it. I'm especially worried because my Mom is the one that paid for my surgery and she's starting to get really frustrated... She just doesn't understand.

Plus I have people telling me different things. My doctors office is telling me to never count calories, never diet again...etc...because they said the band does it all. I can't see that happening!!

:(

As an encouragement, most people feel exactly how you feel at about 2 weeks post-op. I'm 5 weeks out now, and I remember feeling such huge regret for the first 2 weeks, and then almost lost it entirely when i saw that I was actually GAINING weight when I was nearly starving myself with less than 600 calories a day! But, be encouraged, after the 3rd week I started dropping weight steadily as I added more calories into my day. I hate to use this phrase, but the band is definitely a tool, not a solution. I've changed my habits so drastically, and most people don't lose a lot of weight until they get their first fill. I remember posting a message similar to yours around 2 weeks post-op, and MANY others do the same. You're going to do awesome! You're coming here for support, and you're not taking your decision lightly, which are GREAT indicators that you're going to be very successful. You are in charge of your future, not those others who haven't had much success! And your doctor is delusional if they thing the band will do it all! The band does a LOT, don't get me wrong, but I encourage you to flow with your band. It's going to help you, but why not compound the good effect by changing your lifestyle, making better food choices, and becoming educated about how to be more healthy. You're doctor should be encouraging lifestyle changes. I've started the process, but it's definitely going to be a work in progress for a long time. I'm learning as I go! Be encouraged, and post again in a couple of weeks to tell us how much different you feel since you've started seeing the scale go down!

You're just 2 weeks... chin up. :D

I have to count calories or I'd over eat. Not because I could eat more quantity but because counting calories makes me make better choices. On 1200 calories if I make the right choices I am full and satisfied and don't think about chocolate or Cookies. If I got that 1200 calories from a blizzard and an order of fries I'd be starving the rest of the day! I can honestly say... I eat as much as I want... I'm full and satisfied (except for the occasional craving)

Eat healthy, exercise and drink you Water, you'll lose the weight!

Hi.. I had my surgery in Sept 2009. I still weigh my meals. I honestly have no idea how much 4oz of a Protein is by comparing it to my hand, a deck of cards or any other analogy they throw at me. if I go out to dinner I either under eat or I ask the server to give me a 4oz portion of my protein and I take the rest home. The people that are still overweight with the band, are they following Dr's orders?? I have a co-worker that got her band 2 months before me in July 2009. She had way less weight to lose than I did and should probably be at her goal already. I've lost 153 pounds, in the same time period she's lost 40. Why?? because she picks between meals, she occasionally drinks with her meals, she under eats or over eats.. etc.. Another co-workers wife gained 40 pounds after getting the band. she didn't go for her follow-up appointments, ate what she wanted but didn't measure portions.. etc.. the LapBand is a tool to help us on our journey, it's not a guarantee or a magic wand that will make me thin overnight (although I wish it were). You get out of it what you put into it.. I still have about 80-90 pounds to go and yes, I'm still as worried as you are right this minute that this weight won't come off.. But, I go for my follow-ups, I weigh my food and I exercise so I know that maybe by this time next year or a little after I'll be close to my goal.. If you ever need, please feel free to private message me!!

I could not have done as well as I have (banded 12/2/10, 57 lbs lost) without counting calories. For me, if I don't eat enough I don't lose...plain and simple. I use an app on my phone (myfitnesspal) to track everything (including exercise and water) so I always know where I am. Some people can do it without tracking calories...at first it is a bit of trial and error to see what works for you.

[ hi.....dont worry....looks like ur body has gone into starvation mode....walk a lot...drink something every 2 hrs..and have lots of Water....im sure u'll loose weight...

all the best....

I hear u manic cookie! I'm one week out and I think I just messed myself up. I ate a bowl of Soup for dinner and I'm worried it was too much! I was simply starving - I had worked all day and had two Protein Shakes all day long and was out of my mind! Today was my first full day back to work! I'm so upset that I a. Hurt myself (don't wanna puke) b. Sabotaged myself ( I'm counting calories but it was broccoli cheddar mushy soup) ! Augh