Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone have regrets early post surgery?

I had my surgery a week ago tomorrow and I can't keep from getting panic attacks. I am almost panicky because I am not allowed to eat and am afraid I will never be able to go out again and eat at all! I am wondering what I did to myself! Were any of you scared when you weren't allowed to eat anything?

Oh of course! I was scared I'd only eat like 3 bites of food... but that isn't true, I think the life after banding is much different than it is portrayed. My life is pretty normal. Yes, I eat less, and I have to watch my calories, but I still eat a pretty normal meal. none of this 3 bites of food business.

The first month just sucks. No better way to put it, but it gets easier... I went on vacation about 2 weeks after surgery to Vegas, we go every year and it was always just a big food fest, eating at all the amazing restaurants.. I did have a moment of panic at one of the dinners when my parents were eating something fantastic and I had something mushy and boring. But, I handled it, and I was strong! After I got on solid foods I was ok and that feeling went away. Now I feel totally normal. It's kind of weird to have to take note of what you are eating... but that is important! We were eating crazy calories before. It feels good to be responsible.

I think what you're experiencing is pretty normal. I was beating myself up for about 2 weeks after thinking "Why on earth would I do this to myself?" Having serious regret. But that feeling passes as soon as you're able to start eating normal foods again. I'm only 4 weeks out, and I'm slowly adding more solid foods into my diet, but I'm losing weight, not feeling deprived and I feel like I'm getting a fresh start. I don't think in terms of "I'll never be able to eat that again", because if I want it, I'll eat it... but I'm learning how not to want to eat everything that looks or smells good. Hang in there, It gets better and better each day!

Lizzy got it right. Many of us have that feeling. Oh my gosh, what have I done! It gets so much better. Just think, one year from now you will be posting that it has changed your life for the better! smile.gif

I was scared, too. But, everything turned out to be totally fine. Please don't worry. Take a deep breath and relax. This is going to be an amazing tool for you, you will be able to go out to eat and enjoy yourself, to eat the things you like (just less of them). And... the best part of all?! You won't have to feel like cr*p if you eat something you enjoy that isn't a "diet" food now and then.

Take a look at some of the bandster blogs if you want to know what it will be like for you! I promise, it's a whole new beginning for you, and you will love it! I have a link to my blog below, and there are a bunch of links to other bandster blogs on the right side of the page. You will see that everyone is doing fine, eating good food and living their lives and enjoying them.

Hang in there! It's going to be an amazing journey and you surely will be fine.

Best wishes,

Catherine

Your words help a lot. It just scares me to feel like I am in a prison right now and can't just eat because someone is telling me not to. Being on liquids is harder on the mind than I anticipated. I was telling my husband that I must have more anxiety than I realize because I must have been eating to cover it up. Now I have to face it. Weird. I think if I can get just get to the stage where I can eat mushies I will feel a ton better. Right now I am afraid. My doc told me "don't do it." That scared me thinking what the heck is going to happen the first time I try to eat pudding or something easy!

I am right there with you. I was banded 3/18/11 , just four days ago. I am not physically hungry, just mentally hungry if that makes sense. Didn't realize how much food consumed my day until I am only allowed liquids and only drinking about an ounce at a time. Best wishes and I know we can do this!

I had my surgery a week ago tomorrow and I can't keep from getting panic attacks. I am almost panicky because I am not allowed to eat and am afraid I will never be able to go out again and eat at all! I am wondering what I did to myself! Were any of you scared when you weren't allowed to eat anything?

That anxiety peaked in me about 1-2 weeks post op.....had the avatar of Homer burying his face in his palms.....the "what ifs" got me for a couple days. The GOOD news is....each day gets better and better. We are fully capable of finding new ways to convert social meal time to an event that DOESN'T mean an excuse to show how much we can eat!!!! And we all eventually find that being the largest person in the room will mean new ways to act and treat ourselves. It all comes a day at a time. cheers in your journey

Your words help a lot. It just scares me to feel like I am in a prison right now and can't just eat because someone is telling me not to. Being on liquids is harder on the mind than I anticipated. I was telling my husband that I must have more anxiety than I realize because I must have been eating to cover it up. Now I have to face it. Weird. I think if I can get just get to the stage where I can eat mushies I will feel a ton better. Right now I am afraid. My doc told me "don't do it." That scared me thinking what the heck is going to happen the first time I try to eat pudding or something easy!

I felt a lot better when I was on mushies :) don't cheat! follow the plan, it'll come soon enough :)

i had a ton of anxiety the first couple of days after surgery and kept thinking that i had made a huge mistake. it's been a week now though and i feel like i made the right decision. i had to so some relaxation exercises and get myself centered because the anxiety was driving me crazy and i felt totally off balance. once i started feeling better and got myself grounded, it went away. hope you feel better about your decision. i think how you feel is pretty normal.

I definitely had this feeling my first week out from surgery. I was a self-pay patient so I was sitting there asking myself why on Earth I would PAY for someone to do this to me! It does get better though. I just yesterday got permission to go back to eating - UNRESTRICTED. Everything up until now has been full liquid or mushy. I'm able to eat bread - in small amounts, and I'm able to have oatmeal and stuff. I feel much better about my decision now that the hard part is over with. It's a scary process, but my mother just keep telling me to remember the big picture. It will get better.

I'm a pre-bander but I've already said to my husband that I know I'm going to "regret" the first month so be prepared for a lot of whining and "what did I do to myself" moments. But, in the end, I think with the changes I've made so far this will help me succeed. I'm not looking to be skinny, I'm looking to be healthy. If I can get below 200, I will be thrilled...If I can get down to 160...look out!

I'm a pre-bander but I've already said to my husband that I know I'm going to "regret" the first month so be prepared for a lot of whining and "what did I do to myself" moments. But, in the end, I think with the changes I've made so far this will help me succeed. I'm not looking to be skinny, I'm looking to be healthy. If I can get below 200, I will be thrilled...If I can get down to 160...look out!

love the quote about church in your sig line! funny.

I live half way across the world from my family and getting the band freaked me out so much because I was afraid if something went wrong i'd be alone etc.

Eating was also an issue because in Korea it is hard to communicate that you cant eat certain things etc. You will be able to eat out, eat normally etc but in smaller portions. Don't worry this is a great thing your doing for your self :)

I've seen reports from Bandsters in Africa, the mid East, around the world in fact. They all find ways to accommodate their band. The biggest adjustment is getting our HEAD right. That takes some effort, which is fine, because then getting the Belly Beasts in line requires full attention for a while.