Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When does the "losing" start?

Hi All, I am day 10 post op and have since returned to my presurgery weight of 195. Hoewever, reading through many of the threads I've noticed that many others do not experience hunger early on and have dropped several lbs by week 2. Just wondering if anyone else noticed a stall on the scale early on? I'm starting to wonder if something may be wrong with my band. Im trying to stay encouaraged with this process but just need a little feedback. By the way, I've been hungry with loud growling but haven't strayed from my full liquid diet. Although I am having trouble getting in all the Water along with Protein. Any suggestions? Thanks.

First 6 weeks = healing, which may mean no weightloss. Stay off the scale and stop comparing your loss to others.

i have defenately nitced i lost 5kgs on pre op diet n then an extra 3kgs 2wks post op but now i am bout 4 wks post op n noticed ive gained 3kgs bak on some people say the weight doesnt start droppin off till after first fill

Yea 6 weeks or so once your body is back to normal :).

Okay, thx for the tips. I know I need to stay off of the scale but that too is another habit I'm working to break. I will continue to await progress once my healing is totally complete. I guess the bottom line is in time everything will align. Thx again.

It is very hard those first 6 weeks, but you HAVE to let your body heal...not lose weight! If you were to starve yourself now (or not get the proper nutrients in) then your body will not be strong enough to start this weight loss journey...you want everything to heal properly so you can be sucessful in the long run - so be patient and don't stress. I actually gained a pound or two post op ---- but truly I didn't stress over it. After you get your fill you can start feeling restriction...but it may take a couple fills, so be patient! It is hard as we want to see results now....but it isn't the gastric bypass so it will be slow and hopefully steady!

Hang in there - you'll do great! B)

Kim

It is very hard those first 6 weeks, but you HAVE to let your body heal...not lose weight! If you were to starve yourself now (or not get the proper nutrients in) then your body will not be strong enough to start this weight loss journey...you want everything to heal properly so you can be sucessful in the long run - so be patient and don't stress. I actually gained a pound or two post op ---- but truly I didn't stress over it. After you get your fill you can start feeling restriction...but it may take a couple fills, so be patient! It is hard as we want to see results now....but it isn't the gastric bypass so it will be slow and hopefully steady!

Hang in there - you'll do great! B)

Kim

I agree, the first six weeks are just for healing up. I lost 20 pounds prior to surgery, and when I went in for my first fill last week I saw that two of them had come back. Once you start healing you start feeling hungry again - and that's normal. Once I had my first fill I felt a little odd about eating, but I've lost those two pounds back off and I'm working toward losing more. I'm not entirely sure what it means to feel "resticted" by your band...I do however eat very slowly and feel full wth much less.

I'm so confused. I lost 18 pounds the first 5 days after surgery. Now, I've gained a pound a day for two days now. What the heck??? I was hoping to lose about 30 pounds while I'm on this crappy liquid diet. I just started eating cream of wheat yesterday. I don't want to put that 18 back on!! I guess I need to heed the advice of staying off the scales huh?? lol. I'm just really frustrated at this point. I'm starving, but I'm so worried about gaining the weight back!!!

You may or may not lose after surgery - everyone is different, but most people that I know don't lose much in those first 6 weeks....part of that is b/c you are healing and adjusting to the new diet and your body is going "WHAT?!?!?" - part is b/c you ARE hungry and fighting against the natural urge to eat/snack more when your stomach is growling at you.

I tended to not worry so much about calories during those 6 weeks and just stick to eating Protein as much as I could - Soups, chili, that sort of thing that I knew wouldn't get stuck (I was scared to death of that) and string cheese, nuts, pudding, Jello....obviously you wouldn't wanna go crazy and eat tons....but I didn't hyperfocus on my daily calories as I wanted to give my body time to heal. So I guess that is why I gained a few lbs...but it didn't bother me as I think letting my body heal and giving it plenty of fuel to do so was more important than dropping more weight early in the game, you know? Be patient - we are in this for the long haul, it isn't a quick fix.

You are in bandster hell - the starving part is the worst!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hang in there....ignore the scales as they will definately do nothing but guide your moods depending on whether or not they are up or down....we can't let them rule us. You can do it!!!:)

Kim

I'm 7 days post op and have dipped half a pound below my day of surgery wt, then back up 1-2 pounds above...remember daily variation happens too. I know my doc told me the 1st 2 weeks in particular ar enot meant to LOSE. Your body went thru major trauma and needs to heal. Oh and I was UP about 8 pounds this past week, likely from surgery IV fluids etc. Hang in there!!!

This post was extremely helpful. Thank you! I am 3 weeks post op (surgery Feb 28) and I have noticed a huge stall in weightloss this past week. The pounds were just falling off the first 2 weeks, but now nothing. I haven't gained weight, just maintaining. It can be very frustrating, especially when hubby is following your low carb diet and losing like crazy without the band LOL. I am going for my first fill next week, and I'm hoping that will help things move along in the right direction....down!

Good Luck!

I was just banded yesterday and when I got back from the hospital I put on 4 lbs?? All I have had is broth, Water, Proteinex, Jello, popsicle, that's it. I don't understand this whole 6 weeks of healing I see on this post, how can we not lose weight when all we are on is liquids?

Can someone explain to me why this happens??

Thanks, Newbie

I was banded on 1/11/11 and had lost about 14 lbs pre-op. I only lost 1 lb before my first fill on 2/22 and only lost 3 lbs from there until 3/16. I lose slow anyway but it is very easy to get discouraged. I'm told it's perfectly normal to stay the same or only lose a couple in a month at the start of this process. My dr's office is tickled pink with me going from 232 on my very first appointment to 213 as of last week. Your doc will need to do some fills over time to get you going in the right direction. everyone is different in the amount of Fluid they need in their band so don't get worked up over the number of cc's you or someone else has. My dr's office said the first few months are designed to heal, get used to making different food choices and portions and letting you mind catch up with your body. I'd love to have a total of 40 lbs off by my birthday on June 7th but I don't think that will happen but that's ok because I feel sooooo much better. I'm not as tired, my blood pressure is lower, my measurements have really improved, my size 16w pants are big in the crotch & hips so it's all good. Hang in there!

I was just banded yesterday and when I got back from the hospital I put on 4 lbs?? All I have had is broth, Water, Proteinex, Jello, popsicle, that's it. I don't understand this whole 6 weeks of healing I see on this post, how can we not lose weight when all we are on is liquids?

Can someone explain to me why this happens??

Thanks, Newbie

Your body is pumped full of gas and fluids during surgery; how can you not expect to gain weight? Also your body just went through major trauma and change; it's going to absorb all the calories and nutrients it can to HEAL. Honestly, stay off the scale for awhile, it's not going to do you any good.