Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can't believe some people that work for Doctors

So I had my stress test done last week and the cardiologist that was in while doing the test said I passed and that my heart did everything it was suppose to do. Last night I had my physical done with my family doctor and she had the results and said everything looked great. So with having both of these doctors tell me that I passed and everything looked great, I decided to call my cardiologist and ask if we could do the consult over the phone. When I called I told the receptionist what both doctors had said and asked if there was anyway of doing a consult over the phone, her response was "NO, its violation of privacy act and if you don't like it call the Federal government". I was lot WHAT? You mean I have to come in and pay my $30 co-pay then the balance of whatever my insurance doesn't pay, which will be around another $100 for him to tell me I passed? I just can't believe this, no wonder why so many people can't pay their medical bills!! I can't wait till I go in for my appointment, because I will address this with the doctor!

Unfortunately, their hands are tied by 'laws'. However, her response of 'contact the federal government if you don't like it' leaves a lot to be desired.

Actually, if you give permission to discuss this over the phone it's not in violation of the laws. You might have to sign somehting in the office, though. And doctors DO consult with patient daily via the phone. Shees....that receptionist sounds snarky

I was going to say I've gotten ok's over the phone (the doctor agreed why should I come in when he can give me the OK by phone). Some doctor's receptionist's need a real attidue check. Sorry that she was so nasty, be sure to let the doctor know!

Thanks all! Yes, I did sign something that said results could be discussed by phone or left on my answering machine. Just so happens my sister-in-law works at this office and needless to say, I plan to say something when I go in. Just another minor thing to do until I have my final surgery date Whoo Hoo!

That's total BS. Plus you don't call the "Federal Governement" about a HIPAA issue same as you wouldn't call the Federal Government about any other law or statute you wanted to clarify! You should call back and leave a message for the nurse or doctor to call you directly and give you the results. If you leave it up to the receptionist you'll just be jacked around forever......p.s. I hate medical office politics. I have more stories, and not good ones, I could pass along! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Well if you have to go just make sure that they give you a copy of the results. Telling you is one thing and then comes oh I lost your paper work. Its worth it to go just to get your own copy saying all is well.

That's BS. I talk with my Hemotologist and Neurologist by phone all the time. They know I live an hour plus away and to drive all the way there for a 10 minute conversation is stupid.

I would call back and leave a message for the nurse and ask to her to have the consult over the phone and see if they will do it. Simply because you have it scheduled, doesn't mean it can't be canceled. And if they won't at that point, then you have a scheduled appt and no harm done. That's just me :) Good luck!!

Hi, I am surprised that no one has told you why the cardiologist will not do a consult over the phone. He needs to see you in the office so he can bill your insurance company and you for his time. If you have never seen this doctor, of course he needs to examine you in person. If your cardio does the consult over the phone, don't be surprised if you get a bill in the mail for the usual co-pay. I guess they have a right to be paid for their time,but sometimes the staff people are cruel and mean to the public. Thank God my surgeon has a wonderful, kind and professional staff!

No matter what the answer is the receptionist had no right to be so pissy. I tend to respond in kind when I get someone like that so I probably would have made it worse. But make sure you tell the doctor and everyone else you can in that office about her offensive attitude. It makes me sick to know that people that act like that still have jobs when some of us who are actually nice to people are out of work.

Thanks everyone! Had my follow up visit yesterday with the cardiologist and everyone was so nice that I couldn't bring myself to say anything, I'm going to just say she was having a real bad day and hopefully she took all her frustrations out on me instead of someone that was really sick. Needless to say, I past and clearance has been given!! Woo hoo!! Now, just need to get clearance from the Lung doctor and I should be on my way to get my surgery date!