Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What made you and your band successful

What made you and your band successful?

I'm not near goal but feel pleased with my success so far. For me, following my surgeons orders to the letter has been key. I have strictly adhered to the meal plan - never cheated once although I know it will happen at some pint. Another thing that has been key is intensive psychodynamic therapy. I have to get my head in this game along with my body. I wish you all the best.

The band did its part by keeping me from feeling hungry or overeating.

My part was to choose the right foods to avoid the head hunger and carb addiction and to stay healthy. I eat fresh unprocessed meats (avoid the sausages, deli meats, hot dogs and other meats with additives), fresh veggies and bakery fresh unprocessed whole grain bread. I try to avoid the foods that come in a box, jar or can because most have additives and chemicals that keep you craving. I kinow that is not entirely possible but less processed food the better not only for weightloss but also for better health. I watched my sugar and starches and went for leaner meats and colorful veggies.

I was never told to stick with the 1/2 cup per meal limit past the healing stage, thank goodness for that! I didn't do the intensive calorie tracking and diary keeping either. And yes I weighed myself every day; it did not cause any problems and it helped me to learn how what I ate and how active I was the day before affected what I weight today. I chose healthy foods, made sure I was getting my Protein and veggies and said no to junk food as often as I could. ( Avoiding processed foods makes you less hungry for the junk anyway.) I am told to eat when I am hungry and stop when I am full. I did just as my surgeon said and ate slowly, chewed well, stopped when I was full and ate 3 meals per day. When the weightloss would slow and I was eating more or hungry between meals it was and indication that I needed a fill and I would get one.

I kept active in the beginning but no real exercise then about 9 months in started going to Curves. Curves moved to the other side of town so I now do the gym 3 times a week and walk on the other days.

Like the poster above my band has helped keep me full; the rest was all me. I eat right, I track my calories, and I've taken the time to break down my true caloric needs, not some number I read or one a nutritionist has thrown out. I've taken a lot of time to read and learn about food, learning that it's okay to indulge, and learning that no food is off limits if it fits inside of your calorie range :)

I also exercise like a mad person; 1.5 hours a day. I've learned the exercise is a must do, no matter how bad you feel, or how busy you are, you just have to do it. I've also learned just how much weightlifting helps! I've toned amazingly but I'm still looking to have PS.

you have to learn to trust your band... and learn to know the signs that you should stop eating.

i've said this before, it's almost like having the devil (your brain) on one shoulder and an angel (your band) on the other shoulder. the devil will tell you to keep eating because the food tastes soooo good and the angel will tell you that your body is satisfied and not to eat another bite. if i listen to my brain and eat that one extra bite, i WILL throw up but if i listen to my band i'm left feeling depressed because i WANT to continue to eat.

which will you listen to... the devil or the angel?

I had/have a very similar attitude and experience to Jodie.

Moderation and exercise were the keys. I vowed never ever ever to "diet" again and I havent and I truly believe giving up dieting has been a major factor in my success. Like Jodie, I weigh every day and that guides me on how to approach the current day - weight up a bit, I am a bit more mindful of what I eat, make sure I eat no Snacks and dont allow myself to miss my exercise session if something comes up like I might on another day. Weight down and I'm encouraged to keep up the good work.

Not dieting but learning to listen to my body - eat appropriate amounts (and that's where the band does its job), choosing healthy foods (not necessarily low carb ones for me!) and really analysing when, where and why I might feel like a treat (and this guides whether I will indulge or not), simply making the best of non healthy menus and situations where I'm not in control, planning for really big indulgences and simply working very hard to not think about calories, fat, carbs or whatever. I know this has worked for me because I lost about 130lb (which has taken me to a BMI of 19 which may be a bit TOO skinny), but because my band is now totally unfilled and i am having absolutely no trouble maintaining my loss and have no plans to fill my band again. I eat absolutely normally, my mind has been retrained in how I think about food and what sort of portions I consider normal, I have relegated sugar, alchohol and fat to an appropriate part of my eating habits and vigorous high calorie buerning exercise is an everyday part of my life, no willpower required. I basically eat what I want when I want but what I truly WANT is 3 healthy meals a day with the occasional indulgence and what I really WANT is to run or go to the gym every day. That to me is success, and I would never want to pretend that my definition of success is the only right one, but to me, living on a plan, journalling, counting calories, avoiding carbs - that would not be success to me, it would be a life sentence. I have what I consider success - I maintain my weight without really thinking about it. I dont need fill to do that, but if someone does,well, that's what the band is for.

For me just knowing the band is there has required me to really be more mindful about what I put into my mouth . I am heading toward my sweet spot (only one fill so far), so restrction has not been a major factor for my weight loss...what has

EXERCISE : I have become obsessed with working out each day and have hired a personal trainer. I have also recently started the Couch to 5k regimen. Exercie is now vrey important to me !

I posted this on my blog: http://aleadsinger.blogspot.com/2011/01/how.html

I don't obsess about food. I don't even think about it anymore. Just that I need Protein. And, like others have said, I work out religiously. Check out my list.

MollyRN, I liked your blog. Very helpful! Im so excited to start this. I have my appt with pcp on tuesday and the appt with the surgeon in wednesday, so I am hopeful that he might give me a surgery date then. Thanks for the information!

MollyRN, I liked your blog. Very helpful! Im so excited to start this. I have my appt with pcp on tuesday and the appt with the surgeon in wednesday, so I am hopeful that he might give me a surgery date then. Thanks for the information!

Thank you ;) I love writing it. And I am excited for you too! This has been an amazing 7-8 months for me and I hope you get your date this week!! How exciting!