Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

This is ridiculous and I'm pissed.

So I'm 3 weeks out from surgery. I lost 21lbs between the pre-op diet and the first 10 days post-op, but ever since then I've been gaining weight back. I'm pissed. I've been hungry, and still on full liquid diet until next week. I've counted my calories, and I average around 600 calories a day. And yes, I've cheated, I eat pre-packaged oatmeal when I can't stand my own hunger (160 calories) , but only a couple of times. Yesterday I ate less than 500 calories and I gained 2 lbs. HOW!?!? How on earth am I nearly starving myself and GAINING weight. Had an appt for a check up with the surgeon yesterday and he said it's obvious that I'm eating much more than I'm telling them. But I'm NOT. I've started to journal my food intake just to show them that I'm NOT eating more than I am telling them. I'm about to start my period (probably why I'm so pissed about everything) and I have only had 2 bowel movements since the surgery. I feel like my body is just retaining every ounce that I eat. I feel guilty when I eat ANY food, and I just took a laxative to help get out of my anything that's still in there. I feel like I'm doomed to fail. Someone tell me HOW you can possibly gain weight when eating so little!!! Please, I'm so discouraged and pissed.

Normally when one eats so little, their bodies go into starvation mode and take everything that goes into their stomach and turns it into a fat. Eating little will make you gain weight in the long run. Also, the first 6 weeks after surgery is all about healing, not loosing weight. You really wont be loosing weight till after adjustments. You are not doing anything wrong, keep following your doctor's orders. Also, remember you will be hungry because you havnt had any adjustments. I couldnt understand why I wanted to eat everything I saw a week after surgery. Your stomach is the same as being surgery.

Yea, it's just healing!! You don't lose weight till you are back steady on solids. Not to mention, normal weight loss is 1-2lbs a week, you've lost 21 in 3 weeks, you are fine, don't freak out.

You won't have bowel movements because you aren't eating. But in the long run it's hard to have them.. I have to take something.

Are you have 60g of Protein, from shakes a day?

4 weeks of full liquids? That's usually for bypass. That's a bit crazy, but every doctor is different... probably retaining Water maybe? Any reason you aren't on mushies or pureed food yet?

My surgeon doesn't have a nutritionist on staff, so I don't entirely trust everything he has to say about what to eat. It was Clear Liquids for the first 2 weeks, then full liquids the 2nd 2 week period. During the first 2 weeks they wouldn't allow Protein shakes at all. They said that I would be getting plenty of Protein from broth (1 gram per serving). I followed what they had to say until my hair started falling out in clumps. Hahaha. I started Protein Shakes the second week out, but I never told them because they didn't approve of anything that wasn't clear.

Yea, it's just healing!! You don't lose weight till you are back steady on solids. Not to mention, normal weight loss is 1-2lbs a week, you've lost 21 in 3 weeks, you are fine, don't freak out.

You won't have bowel movements because you aren't eating. But in the long run it's hard to have them.. I have to take something.

Are you have 60g of protein, from shakes a day?

4 weeks of full liquids? That's usually for bypass. That's a bit crazy, but every doctor is different... probably retaining Water maybe? Any reason you aren't on mushies or pureed food yet?

When I first had surgery in 06. The rule was 50G of Protein a day for LIFE ! About 9 months later it was moved to 60G of Protein.< /p>

I'm no Dr., but I am a patient, and I know if you don't start getting in the Protein, you could lose your hair, and have a very low Vitamin level,

which can make you tired. Sometimes v e r y tired !

If your going to retain fluids, you might as well get your protein too. I would.

Also ,, it's not unusual to gain some weight, because the body will hold the Fluid.

With the protein. Say 25G of protein to a 8 once glass.... o.k.,,, you know you are having a problem with the Water. So,,, cut the amount of Water in 1/2 and put the mixture in a desert bowl, and freeze it. You now have 4oz. of pudding.

FLINTSTONES chewables COMPLETE WITH CHOLINE is what everyone takes at Henry Ford Bariatric Center. I do about 4 a day, keeps me peppy.

Buy some flavors that you would like, and the people on this sit will help you out, with nutrition since you don't have a nutritionist..

Shirley

I'd make sure you're getting at least 60gm of Protein a day and increase your calories. Logic would seem that if we're eating 600 calories a day compared to the couple thousand we were before being banded, that we'd drop weight like crazy...but it just doesn't seem to work that way. Also, you might watch your carbs. If you're eating prepackaged oatmeal, your carbs are probably quite high. Some people can eat a lot of carbs and not gain weight. Some of us have a problem with them.

I'd start by recording everything you eat in something like fitday.com and then you might actually see a reason for why no weight loss.

As crazy as it sounds, I don't think you're getting enough calories. I too eat significantly less, but also figured out that if I don't eat ENOUGH, I won't lose. The only times the scale starts to move is if 1. I eat at least 1200-1500 calories and 2. It is spanned into 5-6 times over the day. Otherwise the scale stays exactly the same. It actually takes quite the discipline for me to be sure I'm eating all the time and not skipping any meals.

Sounds like your body is in starvation mode, and it's holding on to everything you eat. The only way I got away with eating that few of calories was when I was taking HCG. Like everyone else said, you need at least 1200 calories and need your Protein. Are you at least taking a Multi-Vitamin? I would also add me a chewable Fiber pill and some source of Calcium if you arent getting it from food.< /p>

Is there a nutritionist you could visit on your own? It's really hard to believe that they wouldn't want you to have Protein Shakes etc. I can't believe there is enough in broth. I wouldn't trust anyone except a real nutritionist to advise you on what to eat. Maybe they can refer to one that deals in bariatric surgery patients? It couldn't hurt to ask.

Well,,, at 600 calories a day,, you have joined THE STARVATION NATION...

You say you are on liquids wright? Take a gallon of Water, and out it on the scale, and see what it ways????

I believe your hungry, and Water doesn't do the trick with no restriction.

You need to have pudding, (IF YOUR DR. WILL LET YOU !) That helps the emptiness, also make your shakes with less water.

10 oz. becomes 8oz.. It

s getting a little more for your hunger, and less water.

The water weight will come off once you start eating

Hi,

Im going to say you are not getting enough calories. At rest your body will use around 1200 in a day. You said you on liquids. smoothies maybe? Hate the store bought mixes? Try this. its awesome and filling, and good for you! Its my Breakfast everyday. With variances on occasion, sometimes i put kale in, or add pineapple, sometimes blueberries or cherries,,anything I feel like at the time that I have in my fridge. It helps with my cravings too. If you use kale dont use as much, its very fibery and makes the smoothie thicker. It takes me the FULL half hour to get this in. then im good for about 3 hours.

4 or 5 or 6 strawberries

1/2 an orange, no seeds

1 banana

BIG handful of spinach, (you cant taste the spinach)

1 teaspoon coconut oil, or not of you dont have it.

1 packet stevia sweetner

1/2 cup Water and 4 or 5 ice cubes

BLEND this all together on high until creamy smooth, it is sweet and filling. and makes quite a bit. It will be green and not look very good but it tastes good. If you like fruit.< /p>

Either way, up your calories. You will probably see a difference. It gets better. Dont forget to stay hydrated, the more you drink the more your body will get rid of. By the way, this smoothie may make you pee quite often! Lotsa fruit, lotsa greens,,,and all filled with Water, very good for you, almost like a natural diuretic.

Not enough calories. I think it is rare for someone to thrive on less than 1000 calories a day. Everyone is different, but I shoot for 1200-1400 a day.

and Clear Liquids for 2 weeks!!!??? I would die! lol I have a strict doctor, and I was on FULL liquids for the first 2 weeks.

My Dr. recommended that I take Zinc and Biotin in case I noticed hair loss.

Might want to check that out with your Dr.

My surgeon doesn't have a nutritionist on staff, so I don't entirely trust everything he has to say about what to eat. It was clear liquids for the first 2 weeks, then full liquids the 2nd 2 week period. During the first 2 weeks they wouldn't allow Protein shakes at all. They said that I would be getting plenty of Protein from broth (1 gram per serving). I followed what they had to say until my hair started falling out in clumps. Hahaha. I started Protein Shakes the second week out, but I never told them because they didn't approve of anything that wasn't clear.