Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is/was your pre-op diet?

It seems these pre op diets range from all liquids to full Atkins. Let me know what yours is. Mine is one to two weeks (depending on your BMI) of two shakes a day (20-30g Protein, less than 5g sugar, and 3 g fat), then a salad with no oils or dressings just lemon or plain plus plain chicken no skin.

I wish I could do the Atkins instead but I know some people are on full liquids for two weeks prior.

Would love to hear what your pre op prescription is!

seems like every surgeon has their own pre-op requirements. mine (surgery is wednesday) was two-weeks long. four Protein Shakes a day; six servings of any of the following: SF pudding, plain cream of wheat, 1% cottage cheese, 8 oz nonfat yogurt, plain oatmeal, vegetable juice; and unlimited broth, SF Jello, popsicles and beverages. definitely not the best two weeks of my life, but certainly two of the most challenging/rewarding. i feel so strong mentally. good luck with your pre-op and surgery!

Hi Momnear40!

Good Luck with your pre-op diet! Mine is a 2 week diet that begins Wednesday! I am on 4 Chike shakes daily. www.chikenutrition.com I haven't seen anyone yet on it but I have the bottles here ready to go for Wednesday morning. Other then my 4 shakes daily, I am supposed to drink tons of Water, but am allowed tea or coffee as well (without creamer). I'm allowed sugar substitutes which will be helpful. I can drink chicken or beef broth, I can eat no sugar Jello, and no sugar ice pops.

Every surgeon is different. Be sure to stick to YOUR pre-op and post-op diet. As for me I believe I had 2 weeks of liquids pre-op, one week liquids, mushy, and then solids post-op.

All docs have different pre and post diets.

Mine pre - op was 2 weeks of 50+protein; under 35 fat and carbs; under 1000cal.

Liquids, sugar free Jello, pudding, and if very very hungry 1 cup of veggies. I was loving my veggies cup every day :-)

I started mine today. I did try a shake made with Water yesterday and about gagged. So, this is my prescription from my doc...

Lose 10 pounds over 7 days preop

BRIATRIC ADVANTAGE shakes ( chose banana)

3-4 shakes a day and depending on how many you do and if you use Water or nonfat milk, one frozen diet meal (Lean Cuisine/WW/Healthy Choice) a day ranging from 140-330 calories). Limit of 870 calories a day. 64 ounces of water a day.

I already have WW frozen meals waiting, all are around 230-290 cals each. I'm opting to use nonfat milk for the shakes cause the water one sucked so bad. I had my shake at 8am. It's 9am and I'm freaking hungry. I plan to drink a lot of hot tea w/ splenda to keep my mind and mouth occupied for the next week! and house cleaning like crazy! I also want to start an exercise program this week.

...the milk is going to take me over diet about 100 calories, so I may try to adjust and split one shake into 2 servings or just go with it, or make 1 shake with Water, or maybe half water half milk.

I am on week 2 of my liquid pre-op diet. My surgeon makes us use the Optifast products. So I have Optifast shakes 4 times a day, one Optifast bar and one Optifast Soup (powder soup mix - chicken and tomato). The shakes are tiny, only 8 oz and the soup isn't much either. The one thing that has kept me somewhat full though is constantly drinking Water and if I'm super hungry I'll have some coffee with splenda.

My doctor asked me to lose 10lb before she would even request for the surgery, that was pretty easy because I hda already changed my eating habits and was making very very slow weight loss. I restricted what I was eating down to like 500 calories for a couple of weeks and made that. But then I had no preop diet until the day before surgery. The day before surgery I was to eat a reguarl Breakfast and then at noon take a bowel cleaner, which honestly didnt nothing to me. (TMI) I spend the next four hours not wanting to get out of site of the bathroom but it wasnt until like 10pm that I even pooped and it wasnt anything special just a normal trip to the restroom. No Water after midnight, except for a small sip to take a pill that was unrelated to the surgery. I was told to stop taking all other vitimans and pills that were not that one a week before surgery. That was it.

It seems these pre op diets range from all liquids to full Atkins. Let me

Would love to hear what your pre op prescription is!

Mine was 2 weeks of Optifast which is a protien shake povided by the doctor. Each shake is 160 and I was allowed 5 per day. It wasnt bad and I could have sugar free popsicles and low sodium broth if I was still hungry. I lost 22 lbs.:)

Mine is 5 days of liquids. i get to use Protein Shakes for the first three days and I have to ask about the last two days. I start the diet on Sunday.

Mine is a full 14 days (even though I got permission to do 11 so I can have my surgery on the 15th) Medi-fast liquid diet.

I have to drink 4 Medi fast shakes a day with skim milk (if I did it with Water I would of had to do 7 a day) plus 64 oz's of liquid on top of it. I'm allowed Water, broth, sugar free kool aid, sugar free Jello, & sugar free popsciles (sp).

Night before surgery I can't drink after midnight besides a small sip of water to take a pill. I had to stop my Vitamins and Calcium pills also.

my diet was two weeks pre-op and consisted of 800 calories/day of Protein Shakes as well as 64 ounces of Water. that normally got me 5-6 shakes because of what I was drinking.

While going under for my upper endoscopy (midway though diet) apparently i was muttering something about craving salt that my dr then allowed me to add in a cup of broth a day

I didnt have a pre op diet other than soft foods the day before surgery. I really feel for those who have long restrictive pre op diets.

I had to do 2 weeks pre op diet which consisted of 3 Protein Shakes a day and 1 WW/Smart Ones frozen meal under 300 calories.