Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Been stuck about 30 min now .. won't come up, dosn't want to go down, liquids don't help and come right back up. Not comfortable but not in agony... How long do you wait this out? I have always been able to get it back up pretty quickly, never had this issue. Can I go to bed and it will be gone in the morning? Eventually it has to do something.

I wish I knew what to tell you. I have never been stuck that long. Use your best judgement. Hope it passes soon.

good luck, I have never been stuck that long either

I have been stuck like that before, but if it has been 30 min. or more, I do make it come up. It seems you are having trouble getting it to come up so I don't know. Sometimes at night after supper, I cannot drink anything for 1.5 to 2 hours because I have this uncomfortable feeling like if I drank anything I would be in pain. Sorry I couldn't help.

i have heard try hot liquids

good luck!

Been stuck about 30 min now .. won't come up, dosn't want to go down, liquids don't help and come right back up. Not comfortable but not in agony... How long do you wait this out? I have always been able to get it back up pretty quickly, never had this issue. Can I go to bed and it will be gone in the morning? Eventually it has to do something.

I got stuck like that once, and went for a run, spitting saliva along the way, lol. That helped it to go through. That was early on for me, nowadays, I would be able to make it come up, which is not really a skill to be boasting about, but its bandster reality I guess.

I haven't tried this before but I have heard that if you chew papaya enzyme ( you can get it at your drugstore), it will help disolve the food so it can pass.

Sounds to me that your swollen after a stuck episode...

That has happen to me before where i felt that I was stuck for a long time but was actually just swollen from throwing up...

Give it time it should relieve it self drink some warm or hot tea..

no relief,, go to a Hospital....

A thing to remember, is ACCENT meat tenderiser is used as DRANO for people with the band. Mix some Water with it about a shot glass full ,and pour it down and leve it be. It will eat threw it.

That's the best advice I can give.. Keep that in mind for the future.

no relief,, go to a Hospital....

A thing to remember, is ACCENT meat tenderiser is used as DRANO for the Band, mix some Water with it about a shot glass full ,and pour it down and leve it be. It will eat threw it.

That's the best advice I can give.. Keep that in mind for the future.

what does stuck even mean?

Not sure if you got your answer yet, but getting stuck is when you swallow something, and it seems to get caught in the band. I've only been stuck a few times, and to me, it feels like a hard painful knot right above the base of my sternum. Hurts like crazy, and no amount of swallowing seems to help.

Usually the food item passes through the band within a few minutes, with no further incident. But sometimes getting stuck can result in another event, known as "sliming." That's when the salivary glands go into overdrive trying to lubricate the esophagus to try and help pass the item. Your throat and mouth fill up with foamy, slimy mucous-like saliva. You spit it out, and more replaces it.

When the food item finally passes through the band, all the other symtoms stop, and life gets back to normal very quickly. None of it is pleasant, and if you can avoid it, you'll want to do so. When it happens to you, you'll know it, and you won't want to do it again.

Generally, if you eat slowly, take small bites, and chew thoroughly, you can avoid getting stuck. But for some, certain foods trigger a stuck episode. I'm learning that for me, it's broccoli. Cooked till it's mush or eaten raw, doesn't seem to matter. Those little green trees get stuck nearly every time I try them. Part of living with the band is learning what your body will tolerate, and what it won't.

Dave

I used to keep papaya enzymes in my purse but was never stuck long enough to really decide if they work. I've heard a sip of pineapple juice will help break food down too.

If you're one of us bandsters who doesn't drink soda, you could try a small swig of that. Someone recommended that to me to kind of churn the food. It's worked a few times.

Anytime I get stuck, especially if it ends upwards and not downwards, I do liquids and mushies for the next meal or two. It helps relieve any swelling I may have had or caused.

First post on this site, so please pardon me for any faux-pas. I've got a question about this stuck thing. I'm not sure I've ever experienced it (yet), but I've only had the band since 12/9/10 and have only had 1 fill, as I've been sick since Jan 25 and unable to get to the doctor. Anyway, what I have experienced is that if I eat too much, I get pain in my stomach when I breathe. The shallower breaths I can take, the less it hurts. Eventually it goes away, but it can take hours. But that's not the same thing as being stuck, right? I figure it's pressure from too much food above the band and in the esophagus. But I'm very new to this and do a great deal of guessing. Thanks for any insight you guys can offer.

First post on this site, so please pardon me for any faux-pas. I've got a question about this stuck thing. I'm not sure I've ever experienced it (yet), but I've only had the band since 12/9/10 and have only had 1 fill, as I've been sick since Jan 25 and unable to get to the doctor. Anyway, what I have experienced is that if I eat too much, I get pain in my stomach when I breathe. The shallower breaths I can take, the less it hurts. Eventually it goes away, but it can take hours. But that's not the same thing as being stuck, right? I figure it's pressure from too much food above the band and in the esophagus. But I'm very new to this and do a great deal of guessing. Thanks for any insight you guys can offer.

There may be dfferent kinds of "stuck," but if you're feeling the pressure right at the place where your band is located, it sounds like the same kind of stuck I described. If the pressure you're feeling is in your lower stomach, then it may be gas. Try Gas-X and see if it helps. In my case, the sensation of beng stuck is immediate after swallowing something that doesn't go all the way through. I get that knot right at the bottom of my sternum, but above my diaphragm. It's a very distinct sensation, and is quite uncomfortable. As the item moves through the band, I can feel it going.

Dave