Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm worried I'm eating too much!!

I am a week and a half post-op and I am on a mushy diet and have no restriction in my band. Currently I've been eating some mashed potatoes, but I feel like I'm eating soo much. I can eat about 2 cups until I am full. I guess my main concern is that I may be stretching my pouch. Did anybody experience this after their surgery or am I just being paranoid?

EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT MY NUTRIONIST TOLD ME THAT SOME PEOPLE HAVE VERY GOOD RESTRICTIONS B4 FILLS AND OTHERS CAN EAT THE SAME AS B4 SURGERY, MYSELF I EAT ALOT OF MASH POTATOES BUT ONLY A 1/2 CUP MAYBE A CUP BT NOT OFTEN, WHAT I DID WAS BUY 4OZ CONTAINERS AND FILL UP WITH WHAT I M EATING AND THATS ALL I ATE NO MORE!!:rolleyes:

I'd not advise eating 2 cups, especially of mashed potatoes...maybe try a cup at most.

You have to learn a new feeling of full. Think of it more as satisfied. It is hard. I am 4 wkd out and still learning. I have to think, am I still hungry? No? Ok then stop eating

At mushie stage my doctor said to have 3 oz of cottage cheese/ricotta. The next week I could add 3 oz of canned chicken. I would have a cup of puree Soup and follow that with the Protein. Potato's are'nt going to stick with you because they don't have any protein. This is the period they call bandster hell, because you can physically eat large portions but need to eat small meals so as not to stretch you new pouch. Buy a scale you will be needing it until you get restriction (and beyond).

I have to agree and say that eating that much of anything right now especially mashed potatoes is NOT good idea! haha. I was told by my lap band nutritionist to only consume freely with my fluids...when I was on an all liquid diet for 3 weeks after surgery. When I got to my mushy phase I was told to measure my portions and have only had 1 cup of food since then. I'm not a pro, but MY pro told me these things ha! Food for thought! I hope this helps! I would consider measuring and eating only the 1 cup of food...Good luck!

The hardest thing for me is portioning my food appropriately when I am not at home. I have to use the smaller plates. I grew up where I was told I had to clean my plate and its hard for me to leave food on my plate. So I start out very small portions and then IF I am still HUNGRY I eat a lil more. I was also concerned that I was eating too much. My doc said I can have about 1 cup to 1 1/2 cups per meal. I eat 3 of those a day and a snack bar or something like that in between if I get really hungy. I have not had a fill yet but I think I might go in for one next week. Its been almost 2 months since my surgery. It a whole new way of eating. I agree that you dont really feel FULL anymore. Its more of a satisfied feeling. Good Luck. :)

I am a week and a half post-op and I am on a mushy diet and have no restriction in my band. Currently I've been eating some mashed potatoes, but I feel like I'm eating soo much. I can eat about 2 cups until I am full. I guess my main concern is that I may be stretching my pouch. Did anybody experience this after their surgery or am I just being paranoid?

I try to stick to a cup of food. Sometimes a little more. It is hard to judge how much, when you're at a restaurant, but I do my best and if I ever feel like I've had a little too much and am paranoid about stretching my pouch, I do have something to drink. I don't then eat more, after I drink something. That would defeat the purpose.

I think you should definitely not do 2 cups of food all the time. I don't know, maybe once in awhile is okay, but not all the time. Good luck to you.

P.S. I have really started getting used to thinking 1 cup of food looks like enough, even though I do really still think about wanting to eat more alot.

Measure- Dont eat till ur full, it will help later!!! I had no restriction at first but didnt really want to eat either, I need to get back into measuring, because if you dont make it to a fill when needed due to travel or what not you get in the habit of eating as much as it takes and it ends up being too much

TaxasNurseMom is right. You don't want to eat until you're full. We, in general, don't have the correct conect of what full actually is, usually. Right now is going to be one of the hardest parts of your journey. You have yet to get restriction, and you're going to feel hungry. Portion out your food ahead of time. Take time when you eat your food. Stop when you don't feel hungry.

By full, what do you mean? Do you feel like you can't eat another bite or you'll burst?

1. Your in the mushy stage. In the mushy stage you need to focusing on your stomache healing.

2. Mushy food goes down really easy therefore you will be able to eat more.

3. Just wait until your get to real food. You won't be able to eat as much real food (i.e. steak, chicken, fish, etc)

4. Don't stress too much (yet) about eating too much. Spend this time focusing on your stomache and not your head. Try to stop eating when your are no longer hungry not when you get full. Waiting to stop eating until your full while still in your mushy stage, will cause you to eat alot more calories than necessary. This takes alot of practice, just try to stay focused.

5. Make sure to get in your protein! It will keep you from getting hungery so often, plus it will help you stay on the downward spiral of weight loss.

6. Consider the mushy stage as your training wheels on that spanking new 10 speed bike. Sure it sucks but you have to start somewhere!

that sounds like beginning of bandster hell. The band is not a magic wand it is a tool. If you dont follow the rules ( ie no more then one cup of food per meal) it wont work for you.

Until you get a fill you might be able to eat lots but it doesnt mean you should. Try to stick to the rules and dont worry your not alone. We've all been there.

You should not be eating 2 cups, especially 1.5 weeks post op. I wasn't even allowed to eat 1 cup until 5 weeks post op.

I am about 2 1/2 weeks post op and having mushy, pureed foods. I am having anxiety about eating, I am so afraid I am doing things wrong??? I find I keep going back to liquids b/c it feels safe. I did have 1 cup of a Protein Drink then 1/2 cup of sweet potatoes for supper tonight, was that ok to have had a Protein drink first? I just wanted to be satisfied for several hours. Any input would be so helpful.

thanks

i am in my 5th week i was like u but i was told u may be hungry don;t forget yr band is not filled yet