Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Reputable Lap Band Surgeon In Socal

LOVE Dr. Salimitari and Shbatian at www.lapbandvip.com Cannot say enough good things about that practice.

I was banding on 4/5/11 and went through www.westernbariatric.com Dr. Krahn is an amazing dr!!! There were no hidden fees or out of pocket expenses, the only thing I had to pay were my copays. I went through an HMO insurance and though it took me nearly 18 months to finally get banded, it was well worth the wait. From what I have heard and read, Dr. Krahn is the best dr. around. He actually fixes patients who were banded by other drs and needed to get their fixed :-) So I can honestly say he's the best!

Good Luck on your quest!

Jenn

Banded 4/5/11

weight.png

I have contacted three surgeons so far in my search for a surgeon.

The first office charges a $210 program fee that has to be paid upfront before they do their group meeting and get you started. They were unable to tell me exactly how much the surgery would cost with my insruace. They also said that I won't get to meet the surgeon until I have been approved for the surgey through my insurance.

The second office has taken over a month to contact me. They charge a $2500 program fee. This is supposedly one of the most reputable surgeons in the area. This fee is on top of the surgery cost. They did not say when I could meet the surgeon.

The third office wasn't covered by my insurance. So my out of pocket maximum is $10k. That is almost the same as self-pay. I guess I figure if I am going to spend that much I may as well have purchased the surgery yesterday, kwim?

My questions are:

1) Is it normal to not meet the doctor before you start the program? I feel my decision to go to a certain surgeon is going to be based upon my MEETING them and seeing who and what they are.

2) Is it normal for such a range of program fees? $2500 on top of the costs of surgery seems excessive to me.

I am getting really disappointed because I want the surgery but I feel as though I am viewed as a fattie with a fattie wallet and it just reeks of fatsploitation. I want to feel as though I am actually a person and not just chattel in the money farm.

And I DO NOT WANT to go to that scam 1-800-get-thin. Any surgeon associated with that is off my list automatically.

. Maybe you have already found a Dr, but I went to Dr. LePort in Orange County, Ca. (Fountain Valley). He has the Obesity Center @ Orange Coast Memorial Hospital. I have had great experiences. Surgery was good, recovery good, and I'm down 40 pounds now. Surgery was Feb. 7th, 2011. I'm grateful to live where good Doctors work. :)

Also, only co-pays for me and my PPO paid well. Thanks.

Hi! I am brand new to this blog. I had my very first consult yesterday & was going through the exact same concerns & questions as you. I couldnt sleep. I just found your original post & felt so NOT alone! You & I must live in the same area because I met with Dr. Oliak yesterday & my out of pocket fees will be $5500.00. They will charge me 3500 for the program fee. I have a PPO. Because of your post I was able to read others that have had the same experience so now I am going to contact UCI. I dont see any recent posts from you or I just dont know how to use this site. Did you find someone? Did you get it done yet?

Also, only co-pays for me and my PPO paid well. Thanks.

I refused to pay a program fee also. The office my primary referred me to charged a 4,500 program fee that included cooking classes. I chose Dr. Nien T. Nguyen at UC Irvine in

Orange. He partners with Dr. Kevin Reavis. I was banded on 1/12/11 and have had one fill. I am very happy with the surgeon and his office, staff, etc. The Hospital is 2 years old and very nice. Each appointment, I see the surgeon, the dietitian and the social worker. They cover all the bases without all the fees. They offer monthly support groups and presentations for free. Heres' the website: http://www.healthcar...trics/index.asp

Because of you I have called UCI. 5/17th is my appt. with Dr. Nguyen! THANK YOU!!!!!!! How are you doing so far?

I also saw Dr. Oliak and was hit with his $3500 "Program fee". Sound pretty outrageous since my PPO pays very well. Obviously whatever the "program fee" is for is not considerable medically necessary by my PPO, otherwise they would pay it. I am going to keep shopping.

Yep, I don't trust the whole thousands of dollars program fees, especially with PPO insurance. I haven't made my appointment at UCI but I think that is where I will end up as well. I am having a hard time deciding if I am going to go through with it.

Most PPO insurances pay $1000 for the band surgery and do not pay for fills during the first three months after surgery. If you choose a doctor who will accept this without a program fee, just remember when you have a bad experience, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR... just like everything else in life. Quality Healthcare is not free.

After surgery, how will your follow up visits be? How often can you go into the office to get a fill? How hard is it to get an appointment? What support system is in place to help me adjust with the band? What happens if I have a complication in the future? What are the chances the doctor will be around for me to find him? What is the doctor's reputation? What do previous patients say about the doctor? How long has the doctor been around? What is the success rate of the doctor's patients? What are the doctor's complication rates?

I had surgery with Dr. Oliak in 2010 as a PPO patient and paid the program fee. It was worth every penny. I lost 90% of my excess weight, I can get in usually the same week I call for an appointment, the clinical staff is first class and I receive the specialized support I need. I have spoken to many patients who started elsewhere to save a few dollars, only to switch to Dr. Oliak after the poor quality of service they received. I have the peace of mind that this doctor will be around for 20+ more years and if I ever have an issue with my surgery, he will take care of me.

This is your life, people. Place more value on the different types of healthcare available to you. This is the best investment you will ever make.

So you're saying a lack of program fee indicates a lack of quality? I am not so sure that UC Irvine would be putting their reputation at risk with crappy results?

I used S. Lyass. What can you tell by talking with your surgeon before hand? Good hygiene? A southern draw? His poker face? Really do some research on a doctors name, his reputation and go somewhere like this forum and research how the patients overall opinions vary. I have read a couple negative comments about Lyass, but to me he was fine, surgery went well, my incisions healed very well. So hmm... with my insurance I paid ZERO. ( a small amount to the anesthesiologist). Good Luck

I have a slightly different scenario because I was banded in Philadelphia 9/08, then opted for a partial unfill because I was in a divorce and decided to move back to Palm Springs, Ca where I was from. My original Surgeon wa Dr. Christopher Kowalski who was really great, and he did move somewhere in Kansas and is practicing there.

I had a crazy time wanting to get a fill and trying to find a doctor out here. I tried to see one a couple years ago and some turned me down. So when I finally started to really make calls locally, I did talk to the office of Dr. Bobby Rao here, and was floored with what information I got. In order to fill me being a cash pay client or insurance but to just get an appointment with him I would have to cash pay up front $3,250.00. That is not including a fill or a series of fills that is just to be graced with an appointment to walk into the office. I also called back to talk to someone to see if MAYBE i was given the wrong information. My information was correct and I also found out if I wanted him to do a surgery and get a band I would have to cough up $6,000.00 to $7,000.00 just to get an appointment! The lady I talked to in the office seemed pretty disgusted with the cost. Mind you those fees are payable in cash even before they will attempt to bill the insurance!

I found another doctor locally Dr. Awad that will do fills for I think it is $250.00 on a cash pay, however they will also do insurance and seem to not have the major fees.

I had my primary care doctor refer me to a bariatric group because of needing a fill and wanting to make sure everything was in place ok. I did request Dr Awad for this procedure but he is not my insurance plans choice for a Bariatric doctor. I am on Desert Oasis Group and they did refer me out to Dr Peter Leport's office in Fountain Valley, Ca. It is a bit of a hike but it is a large practice and you can see any of the Doctor's on staff. I really liked the staff and the PA that handled my fill was great, I saw Dr Kelly Francis there and she was very nice! I ended up paying a co pay of 35.00 for my fill plus gas and stuff to get there.

When I was in Philadelphia I think I had to pay 500.00 for the program fee's and I did not get to meet the surgeon up front. I did get to meet him when I physically went into the office for an appointment while he was explaining options. I think alot of places when they have the Seminar's at night you get to meet the Surgeons. Because I had gone to one at a weight loss surgical center that was not affilated with a hospital before I chose this Doctor. I would suggest getting a referral from your Primary Care Doctor and seeing who is affiliated with your particular medical group. My insurance plans seem to choose the ones that have alot of experience in a good reputation or so it seems. Then if it is a big practice, you can choose your Doctor or go with the flow according to when you need to go in for fills etc. I will add that prior to my appointment I did have to have an Upper GI to check movement and placement of the band. I believe that both Dr LePort's office and Dr Awad in Palm Springs will take patients banded out of the country, but you do need to get the Upper GI and if you have medical records they need to know the band size, etc. I had all my records.

LOVE Dr. Salimitari and Shbatian at www.lapbandvip.com Cannot say enough good things about that practice.

I'm so glad to hear this, because Dr. ShabatianHooman will be doing mine on the 27th. He and their staff have been fantastic!

I too am using Dr Sebastian Hooman & didn't pay any program fee an met with him during the seminar.... The staff is great with me & even helped me when my insurance didn't have him in network. I didn't know if they didn't cover it, i could request a out of network Dr if my insurance couldn't find me one within 50 miles. With my insurance I have to pay 300 for my surgery unless i have to be hospitalized then it'll be 600.... Now I'm just waiting for approval, it's been 3 days since i finished with the insurance requirements.... Keeping my fingers crossed :-)