Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Reputable Lap Band Surgeon In Socal

I have contacted three surgeons so far in my search for a surgeon.

The first office charges a $210 program fee that has to be paid upfront before they do their group meeting and get you started. They were unable to tell me exactly how much the surgery would cost with my insruace. They also said that I won't get to meet the surgeon until I have been approved for the surgey through my insurance.

The second office has taken over a month to contact me. They charge a $2500 program fee. This is supposedly one of the most reputable surgeons in the area. This fee is on top of the surgery cost. They did not say when I could meet the surgeon.

The third office wasn't covered by my insurance. So my out of pocket maximum is $10k. That is almost the same as self-pay. I guess I figure if I am going to spend that much I may as well have purchased the surgery yesterday, kwim?

My questions are:

1) Is it normal to not meet the doctor before you start the program? I feel my decision to go to a certain surgeon is going to be based upon my MEETING them and seeing who and what they are.

2) Is it normal for such a range of program fees? $2500 on top of the costs of surgery seems excessive to me.

I am getting really disappointed because I want the surgery but I feel as though I am viewed as a fattie with a fattie wallet and it just reeks of fatsploitation. I want to feel as though I am actually a person and not just chattel in the money farm.

And I DO NOT WANT to go to that scam 1-800-get-thin. Any surgeon associated with that is off my list automatically.

The only fees I paid were insurance co-pays. I also had to pay for my pre-op diet foods (I did not get those through my surgeon, although he did have some available).

Ask your primary care doctor for a referral or name of a good surgeon. There are probably some very good surgeons out there who charge a program fee. But there are plenty who do not. If they do charge a fee, find out what you are getting for your money. My surgeon does a free information seminar that includes a question and answer period. It gave me a chance to see him in action before investing my time and effort.

I am in San Diego. My surgeon's site is www.thinnertimes.com He was great!

I refused to pay a program fee also. The office my primary referred me to charged a 4,500 program fee that included cooking classes. I chose Dr. Nien T. Nguyen at UC Irvine in

Orange. He partners with Dr. Kevin Reavis. I was banded on 1/12/11 and have had one fill. I am very happy with the surgeon and his office, staff, etc. The Hospital is 2 years old and very nice. Each appointment, I see the surgeon, the dietitian and the social worker. They cover all the bases without all the fees. They offer monthly support groups and presentations for free. Heres' the website: http://www.healthcare.uci.edu/bariatrics/index.asp

I actually started with the 1-800-get-thin, but for some reason my insurance wouldn't cover me through them. I was refered out to a surgeon though. He used to be affiliated with them, but before my surgery disassociated himself from them. He has his own practice, and has offices all over So Cal. I absolutely LOVE my Dr. His Name is Dr. Sharam Salimitari- he's listed on lapbandtalk actually under surgeons, so if you did a search he would pop up. He and his partner's website is www.lapbandvip.com. They are both great, but Dr. Sal is my favorite. I have heard nothing but rave reviews of him.

Like I said, I do not want to deal with anyone associated with 1-800-get-thin. There have been so many problems with that place and I have read they are associated with Beverly Hills surgeons too.

I am so frustrated right now. I will try some of those that have been suggested here and many thanks.

Dr. Leport's office wanted the $210 fee upfront before I even have the information session. I guess I don't get to see the surgeon until surgery is approved. Plus, they couldn't give me a surgery total other than "you out of pocket max" ($4k)

Dr. Owen's office wanted $2500 program fee and that was after waiting for over a month to hear from them.

Dr. Oliak's office wants $2500-$4500 "depending upon you insurance.

Ok, I can understand if all of the program fees cover seeing the dietician and psychologist, but I know a few visits is not going to add up to that. I don't want to sound like I am bad mouthing these doctors, but geez, I'm going to be close to self-pay prices with 90/10 insurance! Am I missing something here? These are all surgeons with excellent reputations too.

Like I said, I do not want to deal with anyone associated with 1-800-get-thin. There have been so many problems with that place and I have read they are associated with Beverly Hills surgeons too.

I am so frustrated right now. I will try some of those that have been suggested here and many thanks.

Dr. Leport's office wanted the $210 fee upfront before I even have the information session. I guess I don't get to see the surgeon until surgery is approved. Plus, they couldn't give me a surgery total other than "you out of pocket max" ($4k)

Dr. Owen's office wanted $2500 program fee and that was after waiting for over a month to hear from them.

Dr. Oliak's office wants $2500-$4500 "depending upon you insurance.

Ok, I can understand if all of the program fees cover seeing the dietician and psychologist, but I know a few visits is not going to add up to that. I don't want to sound like I am bad mouthing these doctors, but geez, I'm going to be close to self-pay prices with 90/10 insurance! Am I missing something here? These are all surgeons with excellent reputations too.

I went with 1-800-get-thin and just got banded on 3-11. I wasn't really pleased with some of the staff and the way they went about some of the pre-op stuff, but the end results have been fantastic. My surgeon, Dr. Atul Madan, is awesome. He is extremely competent and caring, and I don't think I could have had a better one. The surgery was done at Marina-Del-Rey Hospital, and the staff there was very attentive and wonderful.

i went to dr jeremy korman and he has offices in miracle mile and marina del rey. i had it done 3/15 and have been really happy with he and his staff. he met with me personally, no group mtg (i did it at the miracle mile office). here's the marina del rey info and the phone for miracle mile below that.

http://www.labariatriccenter.com/

Miracle Mile Outpatient Surgery Center

5757 Wilshire Blvd, Suite 6

Los Angeles, California 90036

PH 323.964.0866 Ask for Joseph Rubin

also, cedars sinai has a lap band program. i don't know anyone who's had it there, but i can't imagine it being bad since it's one of the best hospitals in the world.

http://www.cedars-si...eight-Loss.aspx

I refused to pay a program fee also. The office my primary referred me to charged a 4,500 program fee that included cooking classes. I chose Dr. Nien T. Nguyen at UC Irvine in

Orange. He partners with Dr. Kevin Reavis. I was banded on 1/12/11 and have had one fill. I am very happy with the surgeon and his office, staff, etc. The Hospital is 2 years old and very nice. Each appointment, I see the surgeon, the dietitian and the social worker. They cover all the bases without all the fees. They offer monthly support groups and presentations for free. Heres' the website: http://www.healthcar...trics/index.asp

My PCP suggested going to UC Irvine to because it is a research hospital and they can't mess around with hidden costs or extra costs, plus the high level of excellence. I am going to look into Dr. Nguyen. I have read several good online reviews with the main complaint being his bedside manner. Is it really bad or is he just not chatty? Also, where does he put the port or can you decide?

The only fees I paid were insurance co-pays. I also had to pay for my pre-op diet foods (I did not get those through my surgeon, although he did have some available).

Ask your primary care doctor for a referral or name of a good surgeon. There are probably some very good surgeons out there who charge a program fee. But there are plenty who do not. If they do charge a fee, find out what you are getting for your money. My surgeon does a free information seminar that includes a question and answer period. It gave me a chance to see him in action before investing my time and effort.

I am in San Diego. My surgeon's site is www.thinnertimes.com He was great!

I actually considered going to Dr Callery first but now I am going through Dr Takata at Scripps instead so I have been through two free informational seminars so far and all of the associated beginner stuff.

I actually considered going to Dr Callery first but now I am going through Dr Takata at Scripps instead so I have been through two free informational seminars so far and all of the associated beginner stuff.

I did info seminars with a couple of different doctors. I went with Dr. Callery based on my PCP's recommendation. Scripps has a fine reputation. Good wishes to you!!

I'm glad to see you all talking about "program fees". I went to a seminar today for Dr. Bobby (Bhasker-Rao) near Palm Springs, CA. He sounds great, but near the end of the seminar, he mentioned his "Program fee" which is $7,000, above what insurance pays. I nearly left the seminar. Has anybody here used Dr. Bobby? Do you know what the fee pays for? I can understand it being a good deal if you have insurance that makes you pay co-pays and for your own fills, but I have Tricare and it pays 100 per cent. This "fee" just doesn't feel right to me (Not that I can afford it, anyway.)

Does anyone know of a good surgeon in the Inland Empire? (I'm near Hemet, but don't mind traveling to Palm Springs, Riverside, etc.)

Thank you,

Ava

I'm always hesitant to recommend a doctor to anyone. Since everyone has their own opinions and problems, and every body is different. My surgeon was Dr. Paya, his office is in West Hills, CA (I think there are other offices he visits also). I was banded at UC Irvine (center of excellence). I was recommended by a friend.

http://www.surgithin.com/

I've had no problems. Surgery went off without a hitch. His office staff can be a bit dingy at times.. but they are helpful. The only thing I would say is he doesn't have much bedside manor. He just wants to get things done. But he was thorough at my consultation, and let me ask questions and everything. He's done over 1,000 surgeries. I've had one fill, he did it fluroscope, and I feel I'm full enough for now (5.5ccs, he's not one of those that is gonna give you .5ccs at a time, he wants you off and losing weight. asap). I think you do have to remember they do the surgery, the rest is up to you.

I didn't pay any sort of "program fees" I paid to see the Nutritionist and the Psych.. (I had been going with him before I switched insurances so I paid $300 for each, but I'm sure it would of just been a co-pay if I was using insurance). Then I had to pay my personal doctor to get EKG, Chest Xray, and blood work. Do keep in mind the co-pay for surgery with insurance is about $3,000 for everything with anyone you see.

My only advice is make sure you feel comfortable and it get it done at a HOSPITAL (my insurance required a Center of Excellence). I know I would not of felt comfortable at a surgery center. I know it's an easy surgery but you are still under full anesthesia and they are cutting into you! I want to make sure it's safe, and if there is an emergency they can do the best to fix you. This isn't like going to your doctor when you have a tummy ache. It felt more like plastic surgery to me.. yes they want your money, I think you would be hard pressed to find a surgeon that wasn't interested in that. It's ELECTIVE surgery, they are in the business of making money. Also if you don't lose weight, it's your own fault for not sticking to the plan. I think a lot of people are biased and bitter about the surgery and the money they spent.]

I had gone to I believe Beverly Hills Surgeons before I saw him (I live near BH and wanted a close surgeon) and I felt extremely uncomfortable, and the doctor was extremely weird and old. I had to fill out a 250 question from about if I wanted to kill myself or if I hate the military stupid things like that, everything about the appointment was awkward..