Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What are you eating?

I have been flawless since day 1 (am now Day 5 if you count the day of surgery since I had it at 8AM!), but I have to admit, I am getting itchy for SOMETHING else besides broth, Jello, and popsicles.

We went with my in-laws today to Olive Garden, and although it didn't bother me in the least that I wasn't getting salad or Tour of Italy or dessert--truly--what I REALLY wanted was to have a nibble of a bean in my minestrone. Alas no, I was a good girl and only had the broth which was quite tasty. It was the first time I'd been out to eat and it was nice to know I really didn't care about the other stuff.

I really hope that my doctor will allow me to have something different after my appointment with him. I asked hubby if I could have Tomato Soup and he patently refused (but with a kiss and smile), so I am afraid I am stuck. My doc's appt isn't until Thursday! Ugh!

What are you eating? Have you diverted at all? It is really much harder when you get off the opiates...LOL

I diverted and had some chicken in a sauce. The chicken was soft and pulled apart with a fork but the sauce was a bit too much & I got really sick in the bathroom every hour (sorry so graphic!) luckily I didn't throw up but I felt horrible. My system isn't ready for regular foods yet, I still need no chunks and not a lot of seasonings. So take it easy. Trust it's not a good feeling to test the limits of your stomach!

Ive been a good patient and pureeing a lot of things. Last night I took a bite of my daughter's crock pot chicken left over and either I didn't chew it enough, or ate it too fast or whatever but it wasn't fun!

To describe the pain...did you ever drink Water too fast and you get that big air bubble in your chest? That was almost exactly how I felt but it dragged on until I barfed...twice.

Well, I couldn't stand it anymore. I had a half of a cup of Campbell's Tomato Soup made with skim milk. It was heavenly. I did so well with it that I called my doctor's office to ask them if I could have eggs for dinner. They said if I could tolerate it, I could have ONE scrambled egg. JOY OF JOYS! I had a bite of hubby's grits, too. I tell you, if they are gonna make you have liquids for so long they need to keep you on a morphine drip. LOL!!

The pain feels like I have a stomach virus or if you've ever had food poisoning. When I'm trying new things it just doesn't work out & I'm a very picky eater so Im definitely eating less than I should be, but it's working and I feel better.

I'm 1 day post-op and the only things I've tried so far are: chicken broth (low sodium), Gatorade G2 mixed with Water, water, and hot Decaf tea. The warmer liquids seem to help me more with all of the left over gas in my abdomen. I'm not hungry right now, so getting things down takes awhile. I may try sugar-free Jell-o later, but I'm trying to stick with warm or room temperature for now (tough, since I'm a girl who loves drinks with ice). :D

I'm almost 3 weeks post op. I've been a bad girl for about a week now...I'm supposed to be on liquids only for 4 weeks. My Dr. is VERY conservative and very cautious. I have been having 1 mushy "meal' a day and have the rest of my "meals" as liquids. Mostly I'm doing slim-fast. But I have eaten chili, baked potato, and some shredded chicken. So far everything goes down really well.

Chatted with my doctor today about why we have to do liquids and mushies so long. He said the liquid portion of the diet is the MOST important. The longer you are on liquids, the less chance you have of your band slipping down the road. Reducing the amount of motion on that portion of the stomach (by just allowing liquids) will help the band sort of "cement" into place. When solids start, the constriction and movement of the stomach in digestion messes that "cementing" process up...so there you go, folks...something to think about!

Post op day, oh, 1,900 and something. Currently eating coffee and a shortbread biscuit (freshly made from the oven), lol, kids are about to walk in the door from school, so it'll all be gone before I have a chance to do any real damage with it.

I am post-op day 4. My doctor allows any liquids the first week (not just clear liquids). The day of surgery I just did tea because my stomach was upset from the anesthesia and I did NOT want to vomit. Since surgery I have done slim-fast smoothies with a tablespoon of pumpkin (for the extra Fiber and Vitamin A) for Breakfast, and Soups for lunch and dinner. I also had a scoop of sorbet for a treat last night. I am still staying well under a 1,000 calories a day - I have no idea how I could do more calories without drinking olive oil!

Hunger has mostly not been an issue (although yesterday morning the leftover pizza in the fridge and brownies in the cookie jar were calling me! I ignored them...), and I have not had any issues with vomiting or regurgitation.My husband made me potato Soup, pumpkin soup and Tomato Soup to have on hand so I have easy stuff on hand.

I have lost another 4# since surgery, so I am really pleased.

My first recheck is on Monday. I can hardly wait!

Let's see... so far today I have had two Protein drinks (vanilla, dymatize), and one dannon vanilla greek yogurt. I was actually staring at a salad in the cafeteria and decided to be GOOD. I knew I'd only eat a few bites anyway so what a waste.

I've had chili so far. Basically, if it is mushy or can be made mushy, I'm okay at this stage per my doc. I'm making very good choices and I'm quite proud of myself.

HOWEVER, anyone else having ummmm, Constipation issues? I don't seem to go. I think I'm on day four right now. Ugh...

Constipation was driving me nuts! You could check out my blog for today but I'll jut copy it here. I'd check with your doc if you can try the meds I used - both were liquid and did the trick in about 12 hours...

It has been five days since surgery and I finally pooped! I realize that's a little gross, but it is such a relief (literally)! I had started to get concerned Wednesday night and yesterday afternoon I was wise enough to express my concerns to my nurse husband. Next thing I know he has talked to a pharmacy and run out to the same and came back with two innocent looking amber bottles. The first one, liquid Senna Leaf Syrup, is stimulant type of laxative. It has a super thick, sweet almost licorice-like flavor. After the bitterness of the Lortab, this is almost tasty. Then he gives me 2 teaspoons of DSS liquid, a stool softener. This stuff is completely nasty! It tastes like cherry flavored soap. And the soap tastes grabs your mouth and hangs on - lasted for over an hour! Luckily it worked, or I don't think I could have taken another dose of that stuff this morning! Now he suggests I take 1 teaspoon of each twice a day unless I develop diarrhea. I did have some cramping this morning so he suggested I decrease the dose of the Senna.

On the positive side, my weight this morning (after the blessed poop!) was 245.2 - hooray!! Hopefully the cramping from the Senna Leaf will decrease with this smaller dose. Here's to only three more days of liquid diet!

no pooping issues for me so far. Justplaintired, if you're having issues, the absolute best thing to help is Miralax. You can get it at any pharmacy. The small bottle should be fine. I only had to use it twice after my last c-section. It was very gentle and extremely effective! ;)

Chatted with my doctor today about why we have to do liquids and mushies so long. He said the liquid portion of the diet is the MOST important. The longer you are on liquids, the less chance you have of your band slipping down the road. Reducing the amount of motion on that portion of the stomach (by just allowing liquids) will help the band sort of "cement" into place. When solids start, the constriction and movement of the stomach in digestion messes that "cementing" process up...so there you go, folks...something to think about!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!! I have wondered why we are on liquids again for so long. This makes total sense to me and also helps me not want to "cheat".

I am 3 days post op. Day of surgery and the day after I had broth, tea, juice, Jello and popsicles.

Now I am on to a full liquid diet. This includes the addition of pudding, yogurt, and cream of wheat!

I did cheat last night. I had a small bite of pork chop, chewed until it practically melted in my mouth. I think it was the moistest pork I had ever made. Also a small bite of rice, talking few grains here, and a teeny tiny bite of croissant. It all went down just fine but then had some minor pain, and decided that there was a reason why the doctors say to wait. So I am going to have to deal with it. lol

I just wish that I could have some cream Soup. I love tomotoe Soup, slit pea, etc... If it was pureed very well with no lumps and very runny can I please, please, please have it?! lol

Wendy

I will be 3 weeks post op on Monday. Saw my Dr on Wed and he moved me to soft foods...that goodness. I have been doing ok. Fish, masked sweet potato, mashed veggies and fruit...No MAJOR cheating...just a few minor slips. He said the next few weeks will be tough before I get my first fill b/c the swelling has gone down and I could eat totally normally (or not normally in my case) should I be so inclined. I need to keep control these next two weeks.

But OMG the Constipation is brutal. I will try the mirilax and see if that helps. I think I've pooped 3 times in the past 2.5 weeks...uuuggghhh!!! So glad someone else brought that up...:blink:

Keep it up fellow bandsters! We can do this!!!