Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any words of wisdom or friends to share in adventure welcome

Hi! I am really new to posting. Just registered (10 minutes ago). I have been overweight since early childhood. Like most everyone, tried diets (some succeeded, some didn't). I am now at a point where the number can not go up anymore. I have had enough but know I need help. I'm married to a wonderfully supportive husband and have had two beautiful children 18 mos apart. The only piece not fitting quite so good is me - into pants, chairs. I've just become uncomfortable in my own skin.

I researched (maybe too much) and went to a surgeon a little over a year ago. It was there that I found out my insurance required 1 year of doctor supervised diet. I was angry! How can an insurance company tell me that I haven't tried long enough. But instead of giving up, I decided I wanted to show the insurance company and make them pay. I figure that part of the 1 year idea is to discourage people out of the surgery altogether (saving them $ (at least in their heads). So, I went to the doctor. Started on phentramine and lost almost 30 pounds in 6 months. Only to regain 43 pounds over the last 6 months.

I knew I was gaining weight back but was busy with life and had put surgery on the back burner. However, one day I got on the scale at work and saw the largest number I had ever seen. It was time to change. Everthing has moved quickly this year. I attended an informational meeting on 01/10/11, met with dietician and has psych eval on 01/24/11, met with surgeon on 02/04/11 and got my approval on 02/10/11. Surgery date is 03/08/11 and pre-op diet starts on Tuesday. I am lucky things have worked so well but now I would really like support from people who have been there or would like to go there with me.

Thanks for listening!

Good for you! It may have seemed like a long road but it will be worth it. You should be very educated about the band by now. This is a great site to learn lots. My band advice would be, get educated about the band and how it works, drink your Water and exercise. I started out so slow with the exercise and it has been 7 months since my surgery. I could barely walk a mile on the tread mill and could only do 6 minutes on the eliptical. Now I do a 45 minute 3.5 mph up hill walk or 35 minutes on the eliptical 7 days a week. When I'm done with that I do 30 minutes strenght training a day. I thought at first the little bit I could do could hardly make a difference. Now I know it makes all the difference in the world. Best of luck on your journey! We all love to hear how you are doing, so keep us posted!

Congrats to you I only hope my approval goes that fast, I submit the paper work March 14th. I'm so nervous, scared and excited all in one. We are all here to support you, Keep in touch my love:)

Hi! I am really new to posting. Just registered (10 minutes ago). I have been overweight since early childhood. Like most everyone, tried diets (some succeeded, some didn't). I am now at a point where the number can not go up anymore. I have had enough but know I need help. I'm married to a wonderfully supportive husband and have had two beautiful children 18 mos apart. The only piece not fitting quite so good is me - into pants, chairs. I've just become uncomfortable in my own skin.

I researched (maybe too much) and went to a surgeon a little over a year ago. It was there that I found out my insurance required 1 year of doctor supervised diet. I was angry! How can an insurance company tell me that I haven't tried long enough. But instead of giving up, I decided I wanted to show the insurance company and make them pay. I figure that part of the 1 year idea is to discourage people out of the surgery altogether (saving them $ (at least in their heads). So, I went to the doctor. Started on phentramine and lost almost 30 pounds in 6 months. Only to regain 43 pounds over the last 6 months.

I knew I was gaining weight back but was busy with life and had put surgery on the back burner. However, one day I got on the scale at work and saw the largest number I had ever seen. It was time to change. Everthing has moved quickly this year. I attended an informational meeting on 01/10/11, met with dietician and has psych eval on 01/24/11, met with surgeon on 02/04/11 and got my approval on 02/10/11. Surgery date is 03/08/11 and pre-op diet starts on Tuesday. I am lucky things have worked so well but now I would really like support from people who have been there or would like to go there with me.

Thanks for listening!

Thanks everyone! I am most stressed about going through all this and not getting results I want/expect. I am a grazer. My success will depend greatly on not eating those little bites all the time. i love the support I have received on here. I keep checking back to see if anyone else has responded. I talk to my husband quite a bit about it but feel like I am monopolizing the conversation about 1 topic all the time and really like to hear from people who have been there or are going through it at the same time.

Thanks everyone! I am most stressed about going through all this and not getting results I want/expect. I am a grazer. My success will depend greatly on not eating those little bites all the time. i love the support I have received on here. I keep checking back to see if anyone else has responded. I talk to my husband quite a bit about it but feel like I am monopolizing the conversation about 1 topic all the time and really like to hear from people who have been there or are going through it at the same time.

Hi! Good luck to you as you embark on your journey! I am 1 month post op and have lost 30 lbs. so far. The operation itself is very easy. It's the afterpain from the gas the doc puts in your stomach to visualize the organs that hurts so much. It is usually in the left shoulder, but can be in the neck, stomach, chest. The only thing to do is take pain meds before it gets too bad and to walk walk walk. It eases up after about a wk. or two. Also, don't cheat on your pre op liquid diet. The Doc has to make sure you defat and shrink your liver so that the operation goes easier for you. Then after surgery, as you advance from liquids to mushy to soft and then reg diets, just make sure you chew chew and chew. Eat very slow, and take at least 20 min. to eat your meals. Only eat 3/4 cup per meal and wait 4 hrs. between each meal. Do not DRINK anything with your meals. Wait 1/2 hr. before and 1/2 hr after meals to drink. Otherwise the liquid pushed the food through your stomach too fast and you will not stay full. You want to keep the food in your stomach as long as possible. Try to eat mostly Protein then veggies. Example: baked fish, no more than 4 oz. with some brocolli or green bean or other veg. Do not eat hard or dry meats, or white bread, as they get caught in the pouch opening. No Pasta or rice. Go for low cal foods but high in Protein. You will know when you eat too fast or too much or something gets stuck, as it will hurt from the throat all the way down to stomach. You kinda just have to wait it out. It is horrible. You might even slime (throw up). Drink only cal. free drinks. Avoid carbonated drinks such as soda and also juices. I also avoid caffeine. Exercise as much as you are able to even if it is just walking. When you feel discouraged, get on this site and read others blogs as they are all so helpful and inspirational. Everyone on here is so willing to help and share with others. Good luck to you and keep us posted on your progress. :)

Hello Everybody. I am new also to this posting. I am almost 54 years old. I had a gastric bypass in 1984. I loss about 90 pounds within two years. I have gain about 50 pounds since then. I wonder If I can get the lap band surgery after having the bypass?

Thanks for listening!

Hi

Thanks for listening!

Hi, I am also fairly new to this. I too have been struggling with my weight for years and have hit my all time high. I have been on every diet imagineable, lose 20-30 lbs., get discouraged and gain it back. I had my first Lap band meeting December 7,2010. I had an endoscopy on December 15th and did the sleep study on January 4, 2011. I got the call 2 days ago that I am approved and scheduled my Lap band for March 31. I had to stall it because I just had foot surgery on February 11 and I am supposed to keep it iced and elevated for 2 weeks and no weight bearing for 6 weeks. So I am excited to follow you on your journey. I start my pre surgery diet on March 17th. You will have to keep me up to date on how its going. Take Care....Hope to hear from you soon.

Isn't that approval exciting! I asked the lady to repeat herself twice to make sure I hadn't heard her wrong. So sorry to hear about your foot! I hope the time flies by quickly for you. I am kind of anxious to start my pre-op diet. I don't have to think about what i'm going to eat although i think the weekends will be the worst. I have 2 young kids whos plates I always seem to be sneaking a bite off. A great time to make the husband do all the cooking! lol

Hi,

Yes, the approval is exciting and a little scary. I had talked to someone that told me that they had been dealing with the insurance and approval for like a year. So Tuesday is the start of your pre-op diet. What type of pre-op diet did your doctor put you on? It seems as though there are different variations of the same diet. My doctor put me on a 2 week pre op diet. I start mine on March 17th. I am a little nervous because I don't want to blow it. I am the same as you with 2 kids. Mine are 13 but I seem to have to grab a bite or taste of whatever they are eating. I have been trying to cut back so the pre op isn't too hard. I have a Protein Shake for Breakfast and dinner and 3oz. of chicken or fish and 2 cups of veggies for lunch. Not much food. I'll probablly lose 10 lbs on that. I need to lose 100 lbs. to get to my ideal weight. I swear this last 20 lbs just hopped on and I didn't even see it happen. Keep me informed on your pre-op program and I will be praying for our success. We can do this!!

I had convinced myself I wasn't going to be approved so it wouldn't be as much of a let down (or so I had told myself). Your pre-op diet sounds close to mine. I will be on Bariatric Advantage Meal Replacement shakes. I can have 3 shakes with a frozen meal (under 320 calories) or 4 shakes a day. I am going with the 3 shakes and a Healthy Choice meal. I'm pretty sure I would miss chewing! I can also have Snacks of veggies, sugar free Jello and lettuce with wishbone salad spritzers. A friend from work just had bypass surgery last week with the same surgeon as i will have and lost 19 pounds on the pre-op diet. Wouldn't that be a blessing?! I had those same sneaky lbs! I don't have an ideal weight for myself. On the height & weight scale 100 lbs would be about right but that is not my goal right now. I will let you know how the diet goes. My family & I went out to a favorite mexican resturant for one last hurray. It was delicious! Thank you for the support and prayers. We will do this!!