Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Don't Feel Much Different at all......

Week one was 1/18/11 - 1/25/11 and I dropped about 18 pounds in a week - i had (as instructed by the doc) nothing but Protein Shakes and fluids. Week 2 I could eat mushies and didn't drop another pound. Week 3 - i felt ZERO restriction - i'd get fuller faster and I didn't try to eat a Hoagie or anything but I'm not having any problems getting just about anything down and I debated posting this cause I kinda feel like a failure ----

I know these first 6 weeks are about "healing" - I realize that I'm supposed to following the instructions religiously and I know that I'm hurting myself by not doing that --- but what I want to know is........ Has anyone else done anything like this? Ate the wrong foods so soon? ate whole foods so soon? Is there any permanent damage that I could do or could have done? I feel FINE --- feel healthy --- just hungry a LOT

So I lost about 20 total and keep gaining and losing 3-5 pounds - I PUT THE scale AWAY cause I have scale issues --- and I'm not really crazy about the weight loss right now - My first fill is 3/1 and I so need it!!!!!

I'm just more concerned about why I'm not "able" to follow post op instructions.

Honestly it all comes down to willpower. While I doubt you did any permanent damage, you've probably slowed down the healing process. If you're hungry, are you sure it's real hunger? Is your stomach growling? If so, eat something; that's normal hungry. Eat something within your post-op rules. Focus on getting Protein in. On mushies I was eating a lot of Beans, cottage cheese, etc. Try to find foods that at least hold you over for a bit. Also focus on your Water. I was surprised at how well Water can fill me up for a bit.

Good luck!

Go back to the doctors order regarding food choices since you are so close to surgery. It stinks but thems the facts. Until you have restriction you will be hungry eating small portions. Until you get to solids I would spread you food out through the course of the day. Once you hit solids measure out your food and when it's gone stop eating. It is about will power. I did not get any restriction for 6 months.

I don't consider myself low carb but I had to take a good look at what my food triggers are. I don't keep bread in my house or crackers, or really anything crunchy that are'nt veggies. I have never really eaten red meat or pork so I mostly have poultry Protein.

This is at least 50% mental. I ask myself "If my doctor saw that in my grocery carriage or saw me order it at a restaurant would I be embarrased?" If so I can't have it.

I'm betting we've all been through this. After the first few weeks of exactly what you're describing...I realized I was able to eat less ....now I've had fill #1, only 2 cc's and have amazing restriction so far. Everyone is unique but once you get a fill things I bet things will start to change for you :)

I feel exactly the same, no difference. Its hard to not want to eat when your hungry. Its great reading everyone's post. It makes me feel like there is light at the end of the tunnel. Thanks!

Dont get discouraged! I was banded on 01/21/11 and when I went in for my 2 week check up the Dr. told me all of this is to be expected. He even said, dont get discouraged. He said once you start to heal you will be able to eat just about the way you did before being banded. This is normal until your start getting fills. Im glad he forewarned me or else I would have been worried too...Im just holding out and looking forward to that stage :D

So GLAD I'm not the only one! I can eat normally and I am so discouraged by it. I just pulled out my post-op diet and decided to go back to square one for two days of clear and day 3-9 of liquids and so on...

I wasn't told, like itsjoyjoy, that this might happen. I too am beginning to think what did I do wrong and how could have failed two weeks into this.

Whew..what a relief, great advice and great tips. Thanks for asking Renee1003

Dont get discouraged! I was banded on 01/21/11 and when I went in for my 2 week check up the Dr. told me all of this is to be expected. He even said, dont get discouraged. He said once you start to heal you will be able to eat just about the way you did before being banded. This is normal until your start getting fills. Im glad he forewarned me or else I would have been worried too...Im just holding out and looking forward to that stage :D

THanks, you comment helped me feel better!!

I feel exactly the same, no difference. Its hard to not want to eat when your hungry. Its great reading everyone's post. It makes me feel like there is light at the end of the tunnel. Thanks!

I'm right there with you! So glad to know I'm not the only one.

Thank you everyone for the great advice and thank you to those that are in my boat that posted and made me feel like I'm not crazy and/or alone.

The last two days I felt like I was really BANDED and i couldn't eat much - today things are a little different and much hungrier again -

But again, thank you for the words of encouragement. My first fill is in 12 days

WHOO hooOO!!!

Thank you everyone for the great advice and thank you to those that are in my boat that posted and made me feel like I'm not crazy and/or alone.

The last two days I felt like I was really BANDED and i couldn't eat much - today things are a little different and much hungrier again -

But again, thank you for the words of encouragement. My first fill is in 12 days

WHOO hooOO!!!

You just reminded me that someone once said there are days she can't eat much of anything, and other days when she can tolerate a lot. I just remember that when you made your comment. I too haven't felt like I had any restrictions the last two days, but who knows...tomorrow might be different. I'm glad you got over your fear of posting this thread. It helped me and I feel better!

Renee,

What are you supposed to be eating now? During my pre-fill days after I'd healed I didn't really have an eating plan. Just to not worry a lot about my weight. I even went on a 10 day Panama Canal cruise during that time. My doctor said to enjoy myself. I postponed my first fill until after the trip so that I did not have to worry about complications.

You are nearly a month out. Many people are back on solids by then. I am not saying to not follow your doctor's orders, but some doctors let their patients back on a full diet by that time. Mine did. Please don't beat yourself up over it.

You will also find as the days go on that the band is a fickle thing. Some days food doesn't want to go down, others NO PROBLEMO!!

You are down 20 lbs! That is awesome! Accept that and let your body adjust to being banded. Glad you put the scale away.