Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scared unsure, scheduled for Wed. 2/16

The 2 week liquid diet taught me discipline and I lost 13 lbs so that made me feel great! There is a video on you tube (several actually ) showing the surgery. It really helped me understand what was going to be done to me and helped me realize the importance of shrinking my liver. Also, I was really scared about going under but the nurses told me as long as I follow the doctors instructions I would be fine. They told me when a person has surgery your heart undergoes the same amount of exertion that it takes to carry 2 bags of groceries up 2 flights of stairs; So I opted to be in as good of shape as I could.

I couldn't have asked for better nurses, a better bariatric center, or a better recovery!

food is not your friend, food does not make you feel better, and food is not the key to a successful future so you can do this!

I might be stupid here but I'm going to ask.... because it seems like everyone here is talking about the pre-op diet. My surgeon never mentioned this to me and probably because I haven't been approved yet (I have one more month of weigh in before submitted). Anyhow I guess my question is...how much weight do you need to lose or do they want you to lose to be "safer?" I've lost about 22 pounds now and will hopefull lose a little more before the surgery. I'm down to 245 and my goal is to be at least 240 before surgery (hopefully lower). OR, is the "shrinking liver" diet something they do just before surgery to really get it smaller and that is what the liquid diet is about...no foods, no fat?

I might be stupid here but I'm going to ask.... because it seems like everyone here is talking about the pre-op diet. My surgeon never mentioned this to me and probably because I haven't been approved yet (I have one more month of weigh in before submitted). Anyhow I guess my question is...how much weight do you need to lose or do they want you to lose to be "safer?" I've lost about 22 pounds now and will hopefull lose a little more before the surgery. I'm down to 245 and my goal is to be at least 240 before surgery (hopefully lower). OR, is the "shrinking liver" diet something they do just before surgery to really get it smaller and that is what the liquid diet is about...no foods, no fat?

I've been told a million different things I was told I can eat up till about a day or two before then to go to liquids. I was also told I should do atleast 14 days of stage two. Since that's impossible because I was called last week and scheduled this week for surgery. We'll see what happens I slipped and had some drinks and a decent dinner on Sat. night. It was sort of a last hoorah out to watch the Dan Band and party. I go in on Wed. at 11:30 for surgery. I'm doing the Soups and drinks today and tomorrow.

Bruinfan your preop is the exact as mine and I go in the same time on wenesday.. I'm starting to get the jitters now.

Good luck to ya I'll be there in spirit !!!

there is no real standard of pre-op instructions other than what each individual surgeon and / or insurance company has taken to practice. I have found by speaking, reading and observing that there really is no one standardized way and yet all seemed to work just fine for the majority of us.

My surgeon had no pre-op diet, my insurance did not require pre-op diet....so I say go with your surgeon's instructions and know that the last 24 hours before surgery is where you need to be careful with your eating habits. And even with that said I am sure there are those out there that will have had a different experience!

Oh Man am I questioning this decision right now. I go in tomorrow morning I'm sipping on beef broth right now and just truly wondering if this is the right thing. I keep telling myself all you need to lose is 90-100 lbs you can do that by working out and staying disciplined this time. This seems like such a desperate step, no one other then my mother in my family is overweight. If you saw me you'd think I only needed to lose 20lbs but I'm at 290 and should be about 190 maybe even 180. I wish the demons in my head would shut up.

Oh Man am I questioning this decision right now. I go in tomorrow morning I'm sipping on beef broth right now and just truly wondering if this is the right thing. I keep telling myself all you need to lose is 90-100 lbs you can do that by working out and staying disciplined this time. This seems like such a desperate step, no one other then my mother in my family is overweight. If you saw me you'd think I only needed to lose 20lbs but I'm at 290 and should be about 190 maybe even 180. I wish the demons in my head would shut up.

Ok. . . .it's the 25th now.. . did you go through with it? How are you doing/feeling???????

quote name='Bruinfan' timestamp='1297356230' post='1572646']

This is my first post and hopefully not the last!

I just found out yesterday 2/9 I've been approved and scheduled for 2/16 wow!

I've been anywhere from 20lbs to 110 lbs over weight for the past 23 years, 50-110lbs over weight the past 15 years and it's created back problems on and off for a long long time. I've tried everything possible to lose the weight, I was successful yet repeatedly failed to maintain the weight loss. I just feel that the lapband is such a severe step and why do I need to take such a drastic step for weightloss? However, one of my major motivations is to not allow myself to end up like my mother who's been over weight the past 40 years and is now experiencing physical problems with her knees, feet and hip. I would also like to add that I have two young children who are very athletic and my goal is to be very active with them. With my current weight of 292 (5'8") it's extremely difficult to keep up. I was extremely active my entire life, I played college football and baseball I skied for 20 years, I used to jog 5 miles a day, but right now I can barely walk around the block without back spasms, very depressing. I hope this works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!