Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

OMG! I Gained Weight!!!

Ok. I went for my 2 week post-op follow-up and weighed in 7 pounds heavier than on my surgery date. Before the "You-failed-your-lapband" folks start in on me, let me say that I know where I failed. I wasn't following my diet and I have not started exercising yet. But I will accept my responsibility. It's time to get serious and start working with my band instead of against it. It has been an uphill battle trying to deal with constant hunger. Has this post-op weight gain happened to anyone else?

You gain weight when you have the surgery, they pump you full of fluid.. I wouldn't be worried. You aren't even on solids yet are you?

Crap! :angry: I haven't gained. I lost last week. Tomorrow will be 2 weeks and it will be a very small loss. Don't know how that is possible, but whatever.:(

It takes like a month before your body is healed, you can exercise, and eat normally, and the weight comes off steadily, it's frustrating, but it's a process, don't worry about it.

Even so, regular weight loss is only 1-2lbs a week don't expect anything crazy!

You gain weight when you have the surgery, they pump you full of fluid.. I wouldn't be worried. You aren't even on solids yet are you?

No, I'm still on on mushies.

How can you go through all of this, actually let someone cut your body open and then the first two weeks not have the willpower to stick to your diet? Maybe you should have got RNY....

Not trying to be mean but you should have found the willpower before you got the surgery IMO...

Crap! :angry: I haven't gained. I lost last week. Tomorrow will be 2 weeks and it will be a very small loss. Don't know how that is possible, but whatever.:(

You should be glad you didn't gain. That IS the point isn't it? Or were you just being sarcastic about being upset because you lost weight? I would appreciate more optimism, not sarcasm. But if you weren't trying to be a smart a - - intentionally, then I apologize for my tone.

You should be glad you didn't gain. That IS the point isn't it? Or were you just being sarcastic about being upset because you lost weight? I would appreciate more optimism, not sarcasm. But if you weren't trying to be a smart a - - intentionally, then I apologize for my tone.

I wasn't being a smart ass at all, that's not my forte. I was being bummed out with you. :wub:

How can you go through all of this, actually let someone cut your body open and then the first two weeks not have the willpower to stick to your diet? Maybe you should have got RNY....

Not trying to be mean but you should have found the willpower before you got the surgery IMO...

I lost 20 pounds before the surgery on the liquid, I just spoke to my nutritionist who informed me that my weight gain was not out of the ordinary. But thanks for your kind words of wisdom. If you read my post I asked those who had a similar situation for their responses. I already knew where I went wrong. But I guess you're perfect.

Ok. I went for my 2 week post-op follow-up and weighed in 7 pounds heavier than on my surgery date. Before the "You-failed-your-lapband" folks start in on me, let me say that I know where I failed. I wasn't following my diet and I have not started exercising yet. But I will accept my responsibility. It's time to get serious and start working with my band instead of against it. It has been an uphill battle trying to deal with constant hunger. Has this post-op weight gain happened to anyone else?

Whoa, that, as many people have said before me, is very normal! I went into my 2 week follow-up and my nurse was amazed that I had lost, it isn't normal to lose yet because you have no Fluid, its just like having a normal stomach. For me, I was banded when I was in high school and the first day I could walk correctly (had it done Wednesday, could walk correctly/drive Monday) was the first day of swim season (I was a swimmer) so I had to start getting in shape. But seriously, you are NOT a failure, it is totally normal!

Dude, shes on liquids. You do NOT need to be putting someone down who is just getting started and is obviously already upset that it happened.

Give yourself some time to heal. You know where you made mistakes so just regroup and get going. I have to say one of the hardest things for me was the head hunger so i get that battle completely. It's tough but stick with it because you'll find what foods work/dont work for you and a exercise routine that works when you are ready. Go easy on yourself, it's a learning process for all of us.

A big ditto to those who said to give yourself time to heal. Don't stress too much about the weight right now. If you're having trouble sticking to your postop diet, just pick yourself back up and get back on that wagon. We're human and we're trying to change a lifetime of bad habits. :)

My nutritionist told me that it is quite common for people to gain before the fills start happening so don't beat yourself up. There are a number of things on the liquids/mushies diet that won't be allowed later and that contributes. She even said not to worry about keeping food records or anything until the post op consultation (which is right before the first fill at my center). I'm sure you will feel much better once you progress to solids. You can do it!

Hi! It's good that you are having this wake-up call. . . you can't eat like you did before (or close to it) and expect the band to work. However, it's totally not unusual for bandsters to put on a little weight during Bandster Hell, which is the period of time after you get on real food and before you have restriction. My concern for you is that -- if your post-op diet is anything like mine -- you shouldn't even be on solid food yet, so I am wondering how it is that you are gaining already. Also, are you cleared for exercise already? That did not happen for me until later than two weeks out.

I personally gained about 5 pounds during Bandster Hell, so don't take the gain as some sign that you aren't going to succeed. Heck. . I took off that 5 and many more (I've been at goal for a while now -- I am 2 1/4 years post-surgery and at 145.2. . I haven't updated my stats recently). But, I didn't do it by eating crazy all the time. You have to follow the bandster rules more often than not, and work to find an exercise routine that is fun enough for you that you'll be able to stick with it. I hope that helps!

Feel free to check out my blog if you like (link below). You can go back to the early days and see what my progress was like back then -- might give you an idea of what to expect and make you feel better about your pre-fill phase!

Wishing you lots of success,

Catherine