Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why do some people not need a fill?

cheechtrish
Sign in to follow this  

I see a few people who have not ever needed a fill and are still losing successfully... how is this? how do you know if you wont need a fill?

at this point, i am one week post op and loosing successfully!

i am not really 'hungry' but im only on liquids.< /p>

just curiuos how this works!

THanks

I've had two fills since surgery in October. I can tell you that i'm not at restriction but must be close because if i over fill my plate, which i did at new years & one other time with a salad, i get all teary-eyed & a weird feeling in my stomach. I had to reschedule my last appt with the doc so i don't go til next Weds, but i'm highly considering not getting a fill. I'm watching my calories & exercising faithfully and as long as that is working, i think i'm good with that. I can eat just about anything, except raw broccoli & carrots, with no issues.

I treat myself as if I have restriction, exercise everyday (I hate exercising and if I don't discipline myself, I will never do it). Keeping low carb, low fat, high Protein. I don't feel hunger as of yet and there for only have to fight cravings time to time. It is just my anatomy working with the band. AS my weight slows down, I experiment to see what works to assist me losing some more and being realistic that I may at some point start to feel hunger or the weight loss will slow down and I will have to work it even more.

I don't know how or why it happens. I am 2 weeks out and I definitely have restriction. My band is totally empty. Could be swollen still????

I can only speak for myself, but I felt restriction from the beginning. I thought it was just swelling but it has remained (even though my surgeon confirmed there is nothing in my band). Every time I go in for a "fill" appointment they have me fill out a questionnaire indicating what foods I am eating, how often I eat, portion sizes, if I ever get stuck, how long I can go between meals, etc. The PA looks at my responses, along with my weight loss and makes a suggestion on whether or not I need a fill. So far, I haven't had one.

When I eat, I weigh out 3-4 oz Protein, measure out 1/2 cup veggies and put it on my plate. When it is finished, I stop eating (or I stop eating before the food is gone if I start to feel full). I don't feel full the way I used to define it (not being able to take another bite) but rather I feel satisfied (not hungry) and can go several hours without eating again.

I don't know why my band is working for me without fills...maybe it is the placement...who knows. I have found that everyone's journey with the band is different...

I had my band in January of 2010 and my last fill was July 2010. I never felt hungry and I was losing about 2-3lbs a month. My doctor told me this was normal weight loss. (I guess so) But then January of 2011, I started noticing that I was able to eat more and I was getting hungry alot faster so I went to get another fill and when my doctor looked at my band, she said that there was no way to put any more saline in. My band is still tight! It's amazing but I guess it just depends on the person as to whether you need a fill or not. I'm pretty amazed that my band has lasted all this time and no fill is needed.

Good luck!

We've all got different anatomy - larger stomachs with more fat around them will get more restriction from an unfilled band. The scar tissue that forms around the band can also provide some restriction. Post op swelling can last an awfully long time too - I didnt have my first fill until 12 weeks out from surgery, I had the best restriction I've ever had with my band in that time.

It depends on the band too - at least five years ago when I was banded there was a 9.75cm and a 10 I think, put a 9.75 on a larger stomach and you're going to get a different result than a 10 on a small stomach. Placement might matter, but you'd hope all surgeons were getting it right.

For some people, just the huge decision, mental commitment is enough to keep them on the straight and narrow for a long time, for the desperate obese person who's made a rushed, emotional decision and is hoping for a miracle with the band, disappointment is probably looming.

Its really just the same as how we all tolerate different levels of fill.

For myself, I have only had one fill since I was banded, my band is currently filled at 3 & 1/2 cc.... I have never from the beginning felt any huge sense of restriction, although the times when I HAVE strayed and overeaten (twice that I can remember), I sure did know it and got pretty ill almost immediately. I think even the Doc thinks I am one of those rare patients who not only doesn't feel a sense of restriction, but also no hunger and no problems to speak of with foods (other than potatoes which give me stomach pains). I think that thinking about my health keeps me on track at this point because before my surgery and current weight loss, I was not doing so well health wise. I still have alot of problems but they have vastly improved.

But the Doctor did say that some patients just don't need those fills as much as others, but at some point, likely soon, I WILL end up needing one. So far he trusts me to let him know when I feel like that time is here and he doesn't like to rush filling bands in his patients.

For now, I am another person as the poster above that lives a way of life as if I am restricted and watch my portion sizes and get my Protein and Water intake in. Still working on building up exercise wise as my health allows.

The band works by putting pressure on the vagus nerves which then tell the stomach to quit producing ghrelin, the hunger hormone. Some people get enough pressure with just the band. Most need some type of fill and that varies with the individual.