Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Reappearing period?

I haven't had a period in years but now that I've lost 10% of my starting weight Aunt Flo is back!

I'm 38yo & a few years ago I saw my gyno for a complete work-up. After all the testing, nothing explained the missing period. In the back of my mind I always wondered if weight was a factor. Guess so, eh?

Anybody else experienced this?? When your period returned, did it hang out for a while? did you ever get back to regular periods? How about cramps?

thanks, ladies!

chloe

When I was 18 I lost about 100 pounds and stopped having my period for months. Looking back I had an eating disorder but even then I still only got down to a size 14! After sugery my issue has been very irregular periods. I was on like a rolling 24 day schedule. Then last month I had 2 periods. I have to schedule my yearly Gyn. appointment this month. The weigh loss office does'nt think the period issues are weight loss related because I am not a fast looser. Shrug

Weight loss is a huge reason for irregular periods. I have an IUD, I am only supposed to spot every once in a while. Since, I have had surgery I have had a full period for about 10 days at a time. I went to my gyn 2 weeks ago and she said it is due to rapid weight loss. I did not think I was having rapid weight loss then I thought, I have lost over 30 pounds since 11/23! That explains why my hormones are going a little crazy! She said when weight loss slows things should go back to normal. We shall see!

I know when I was younger and ate like total crap (ie mcdonalds most days and other crap food). I only got my period every other month. When I started dieting and trying to lose weight it went back to every month. I kind of miss every other month, though not due to the way I ate

I am 15 months out and I have had my period for every day of every one of those months! Yes, it is only spotting (for the most part) but it is there. I am on the seasonal pill, so I get a "full" period 4 times a year. However, the daily spotting and bleeding has NEVER stopped. I went for my yearly GYN visit last week and my doctor says that due to my weight loss, my hormones are in flux and that's why I am continue to spot/bleed. Doesn't matter if you are a fast loser, the fact is that female horomones are in constant change and that can cause someone to bleed. Doc also points out I am eating differently and that alone can change my body. According to my GYN I am healthy, my PAP came back fine but he warned me that I am VERY fertile. Make sure you use birth control ladies because as my surgeon and now GYN points out, my hormones are in flux and that can make one very fertile. We are done having kids (I am 42 and too old in my opinion) so we are always careful.

I lost weight and my twice a year period started coming every month with spotting in between...(before banded) now that i am banded, the tighter i get the more regular and normal my period is becoming....also my bowl movements (yeah gross)are getting more regular and the gas i used to have is getting less and less.....I am in HEAVEN....

I went without a period for months at a time up to a year at one point. Once I lost about 30lbs it has been coming on it's own without birth control pills. It's not on time sometimes but at least its coming for a change. I have never had cramps and I still don't.

I haven't had a period in 5 years (I am on Depo-provera shots) and since getting back on track and dropping 26 pounds I have had 2 periods in 3 weeks one of them was over 8 days long. I spoke to both my surgeons office and my ob/gyn doctor and they both made me feel like a total wackjob.:wacko: Both of them said that losing weight has nothing to do with having or not having a period. I say HOGWASH!!!! The only thing that has changed in the recent past is my renewed committment to losing weight and exercising. I hate how they both acted like I was speaking a foreign language when I asked them about it, obviously it has some kind of connection or I wouldn't be reading all of your stories above. Guess I'll just keep track of my good old aunt Flo and see how often she comes around for a visit.

I've been pretty regular on the birth control for years but since the preop diet and surgery I had 3 periods in the month of jan. NOT happy. Normally with the pill they're really light and I have a 'normal' period like every 4 months as someone else mentioned. I guess it just seems weird to me that everything's going bonkers when I was about 75lbs lighter when I started the pill and they've worked just fine all this time; why get wonky now? My dr didn't seem to worried about it, but I definately am not trying to get pregnant anytime soon so I'm sticking with the pills.< /p>

Thanks, ladies! I really appreciate all your stories ....and especially glad to know I'm not alone in this.

Just like tanqueray, I'm done having kids & will stick with the IUD.

cheers!

chloe