Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Possibly too tight, question

I know, we are supposed to be able to eat a 1/4 cup of food, blah blah blah, but after my last fill on thursday it's hard to eat anything, no matter how much I mash it. I actually had pain from eating egg salad. I am definitely not making the proper Protein so I drank a Protein shake and will probably have another one tonight. It is down right painful to eat right now. I get it down but it sure hurts. Even drinking Water can be a bummer at times.

Do you think the band is too tight. Today I had maybe two bites of some fish, way less then a 1/4 cup of food and I don't know if I had to stop eating because it hurt so much or because I was full. The last bite I took seemed to just hang out there, and it was good. How much do I need to chew? It was practiclly water.

Could it be food choices as much as the tightness in the band. I have literally had the fill thursday and my weight was 195 amd I am now 190. Five pounds in three days seems a wee bit extreme no? I mean I was 193 the day before the weigh in and had water weight from retaining fluids, but now I am wondering, could I have lost 3lbs in just water weight or is the band too tight?

Just looking for opinions.

Celeste

I'm actually having the same exact situation -- just got my second fill on Thursday and can hardly eat anything. I think I'm going to give it a week and if it still is this way maybe go back in and have a little removed -- i do think it is a little extreme at this point but will wait a few days to see if things start to ease up a bit. Good luck.

Deb

With the fill that ended up being my sweet spot I was very tight for 2 weeks. eggs have always been a problem for me. If you can drink a Protein Shake you are not too tight. I would give at least a week. I had that fill 09/29/09 and it took me to 5.3cc. I am still at that same fill level today, so I would consider that my sweet spot. My weightloss has been as close to perfect as any bandster can expect. It comes down to personal choice sometimes. If you insist on being able to eat specific foods that you can no longer eat after a week or so, then get a tiny unfill.

I find that I get stuck with the first meal of the day the most. YOu may want to eat a bite, chew well, and wait a minute for it to hit your stomach and see if it sticks. If it does then just sit for a minute and it will go through the band eventually. After a few bites it will go down easier and get less stuck. I have 8 cc's in my band and am just right.

When I had my first fil.. it seemed to take a day or so before I started filling any tightness.... I had a fill on a Thurday and by Saturday I felt tightness. Was that way thru tuesday with that Monday being the worst stuck episonde I have had so far, 5 hours of sliming!!!!!!!! By Tuesday I was feeling better!

Before making a decision to get an unfill, I'd give it at least a week...and be kind to your band during that time. It may be that you have some temporary swelling from the fill. So go back to Protein shakes for a day or two, if you have to, since every stuck episode will only compound the problem by irritating the band area, creating more swelling.

Then gradually start adding softer foods back in. Remember to take small bites and chew well. If a bite goes down hard, put your fork down and wait it out if you can. Generally, if something goes down hard and I know I took a small bite and chewed well, I push that item away and don't attempt more bites.

If you're still having problems a week after being kind to your band, then you might need a slight unfill.

I was going to ask the same thing. I got filled last Wednesday, and it seems everything I eat or drink hurts going down. I thought I may be too tight, but in my experience I have loosened up somewhat after a couple weeks so I think I will try to stick it out.

I agree with waiting a week or so. My restriction never kicks in until one week...sometimes I am so tight, that i gurgle with every sip of Water, however after a week , things loosen up. I think i am very close to my sweetspot, so I think i am going to stick where I am for a couple months or so.....I lost 8 lbs this last month, so i think i am right on target...and that was after plateauing for 4 months.......

Good luck to all of you and keep up the good work...

Onenuttynurse