Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

"Slime"...

I am reading posts talking about when ppl get stuck and then they have the "slime".... can someone please explain what this is all about so I know what to expect...

I am reading posts talking about when ppl get stuck and then they have the "slime".... can someone please explain what this is all about so I know what to expect...

Not sure about others. I have been banded since 6/7/07. Trust me, I know all about stucks, and slime. My happens when i am not paying attention to how much I eat. And, that last bite causes me to know that i have overeat. I feel like i am gonna have to throw up and before i can get to the bathroom i start having saliva build up in my mouth and up comes the food that i overate. honestly, i have not made it to the bathroom alot of times and thrown up in the floor. Trust me I would not trade my band for nothing in the world, but I have done it all. Plz. listen to your body. start off with a small portion on your plate. do not push yourself to see how much you can eat. I have been doing this for the last year. Honestly gave up and started eating sliders (junk). washing it down with liquids. i can tell you it is not worth it. I have had to throw up in cups in the car, in the restaurant. and i keep saying to myself why do you do this. it is all in your mind. it is a matter of control. my family are use to me doing this. my husband is my best supporter he will look at me and say chew, chew, chew. he cooks all our meals and now he knows to fix me small portions.Since april of last year i had to have some cc taken out because i pushed the issue and got too tight, throwing up all the time, to the point that i had heart burn, acid reflus. i gained back up to 249. i got back on track as of the 15th of Jan. and i got down to 238.5. had a boo boo (too much salty cashews). Water gain big time. went back up to 242 as of sunday, but back down to 240 this moring. drink your Water, do not let head hunger play with you. i was at 304 now 240 so i am so happy. stay away from salty stuff. hope this helps.

I have been banded since 8/24/2010 and am down 51 pounds. I have never 'thrown up' or pb'd, but did slime last night. I ate three cooked, soft carrots way to fast and did not chew well enough. I knew they were 'stuck' had pain in mid chest and began to slime. This was mouthful after mouthful of thick saliva. I could not swallow and had to keep spitting it out. It lasted about 20 minutes. There was not way I could get it up or down. I walked around with my arms above my head until it passed.

Believe me, I am gonna chew chew chew.

I had a fill two weeks ago, bringing me to 7.5 in an 11cc Realize band and I finally have some restriction. I don't say that because of the slime episode, I say that because my portions have gotten much smaller and I get "full" sooner. Took 5 1/2 months and 6 fills to get here, but then again, 51 pounds in 5 months is pretty good.

I luv my band.

Bonnie

Oh man, it's happening to me right now! I read your post earlier and didn't have time to reply, but now that it's happening I figured I'd get on and try to explain.

I really didn't have a problem with sliming until after my 3rd fill. True, it happens when I eat too much or too fast, but it also happens for other reasons. I've found if I'm not hydrated and then try to eat, just about anything will get stuck. Sliming for me is when something is stuck and I start getting lots of Fluid in my mouth and a pain in my chest. Lately I've noticed that waiting it out will not work for me. No matter how long, it just doesn't get better and I have to go get it out. I go in the bathroom and try to force it up. Oddly enough, it's never the actual food item that comes up, but gobs of slime. Once the slime is out, I feel better.

I think it's the body's way of trying to attack the food object that is stuck there and get rid of it. I hope you don't have to go through it, some people never do, but chances are it will happen and at least you'll know what it feels like and what to do.

I have had a few stuck incidents, but only two slime incidents. If I take too big of a bite or eat to fast and get stuck, I can usually just go to the bath room and it will come right back up. However if I REALLY get stuck and it won't come up or go down.... then the slime starts. For me is a thick mucusy substance. I was told it was caused by the esophogues trying to create lubercation to pass the food thru. Worst instance was about a week ago..... go stuck on a flour tortilla and american cheese. As soon as a swallowed that last bite I felt it........ waited it out, nothing. After about an hour, realized it was gonna be a long wait and headed to the drug store to find some papaya enzyme tabs. They didn't have any.... went back home and was running to the sink about every 3 minutes. A friend and I left for a road trip, and for the next 3 hours I sat in the passenger seat, plastic bottle in hand., sliming the entire way. Finally when we stopped, for gas... a restroom trip and a good heave later it cleared. Neeless to say, tortillas and cheese don't have any appeal to me anymore.

I was so glad that I had spent time on these boards and knew what was happening the first time (and only time so far) that I got stuck and slimed! It would have been a much scarier experience - except I understood what was happening. A little bit of dry tuna, a whole lot of pain in my chest and the slime! It lasted about 10 minutes and I still think about it every time I take a bite!

Wow..... I think I need to print out this page and make it my morning read as a reminder each day what "NOT" to do.... All I can say is YUCK!!!! It sounds awful but at least now I won't be so scared if (and probably when) it ever happens. I guess you just get to a point you are so comfortable that you forget you have a band. Thank you all so much for sharing your experiences, they are forever imbedded in my mind...lol.

Well, 10 days in and it just happened. Ate my fish and potato to fast and probably too big a portion. It's amazing how descriptive the word "slime" actually is. I had no doubt about what happened. I'm still a little uncomfortable...feel over full. Will try to avoid that in the future for sure!

Honestly gave up and started eating sliders (junk). washing it down with liquids. i can tell you it is not worth it.

I always wondered what "sliders" were. Thanks.

re: slime. Is the food stuck in your esophagus or your band? I haven't experienced this, but I think I had a little stuck episode today. It was only for about 20 seconds, but it got my attention. My meat was too dry and I think the bite was too big.

The band sits at the top of your stomach (right in the middle of your chest.) You will know exactly where it is the second something gets stuck. It's not extremely painful but it is VERY uncomfortable, it's an intense pressure that makes it hard to catch your breath. The "slime" is a very thick saliva that your body produces to try and force the food through, which in effect causes more and more pressure to build up. If you try to drink something to make it go down, you will end up with even MORE pressure.

As soon as I realize that I am stuck, I try to wait it out for a few seconds to see if it will pass on its own. If it doesn't, I head to the bathroom and force it up. The "slime" always comes up first which looks like a ball of snot in the toilet. After I get all the slime up and force up the stuck food. You will know when it is clear because the pressure goes away.

I have never been stuck for longer than a few minutes. The "throw up" tastes exactly like the food you ate, it has not had time to mix with stomach acid so it doesn't have that sour taste.

Okay...ewwwwwwwwwwww, but I'm so glad I read this.

Another thing that will cause the slime is if you aren't drinking enough liquids. I have had the problem of having mucus blocking my band, thus blocking the food from going into my stomach(think clogged pipe). So be sure to drink plenty of Water and chew all of your food really good. Stay away from dry chicken or beef and bread because that is a recipe for getting stuck and dealing with the slime!!! Then if you try to drink something to push the food down, be prepared to taste that drink immediately!! The cold water will still be cold when it comes back up.

Not sure about others. I have been banded since 6/7/07. Trust me, I know all about stucks, and slime. My happens when i am not paying attention to how much I eat. And, that last bite causes me to know that i have overeat. I feel like i am gonna have to throw up and before i can get to the bathroom i start having saliva build up in my mouth and up comes the food that i overate. honestly, i have not made it to the bathroom alot of times and thrown up in the floor. Trust me I would not trade my band for nothing in the world, but I have done it all. Plz. listen to your body. start off with a small portion on your plate. do not push yourself to see how much you can eat. I have been doing this for the last year. Honestly gave up and started eating sliders (junk). washing it down with liquids. i can tell you it is not worth it. I have had to throw up in cups in the car, in the restaurant. and i keep saying to myself why do you do this. it is all in your mind. it is a matter of control. my family are use to me doing this. my husband is my best supporter he will look at me and say chew, chew, chew. he cooks all our meals and now he knows to fix me small portions.Since april of last year i had to have some cc taken out because i pushed the issue and got too tight, throwing up all the time, to the point that i had heart burn, acid reflus. i gained back up to 249. i got back on track as of the 15th of Jan. and i got down to 238.5. had a boo boo (too much salty cashews). Water gain big time. went back up to 242 as of sunday, but back down to 240 this moring. drink your Water, do not let head hunger play with you. i was at 304 now 240 so i am so happy. stay away from salty stuff. hope this helps.

Way to get back on track!!!

The band sits at the top of your stomach (right in the middle of your chest.) You will know exactly where it is the second something gets stuck. It's not extremely painful but it is VERY uncomfortable, it's an intense pressure that makes it hard to catch your breath. The "slime" is a very thick saliva that your body produces to try and force the food through, which in effect causes more and more pressure to build up. If you try to drink something to make it go down, you will end up with even MORE pressure.

As soon as I realize that I am stuck, I try to wait it out for a few seconds to see if it will pass on its own. If it doesn't, I head to the bathroom and force it up. The "slime" always comes up first which looks like a ball of snot in the toilet. After I get all the slime up and force up the stuck food. You will know when it is clear because the pressure goes away.

I was going to post a response but you were so ummm...eloquent and descriptive. :lol:

Wow! I am so glad someone asked this question! U all did a great job of explaining it to! I am only 11 days post op and am moving from mushies to "real food" next week. I am terrified of eating breads and other "bulky" stuff now! Sliming and stucks sound horrible! I've done great chewing so far but feel like eating is such hard work now. It took me an hour to eat supper last night-1 c. sesame chicken, 1/2 c. rice, 1 c. broccoli but it was such a treat from liquids the past 3 wks! I don't have filling yet, but feel a major decrease in my appetite! I'm almost worried I'm not eating enough but am enjoying not thinking about food all day long!