Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What will I physically be able to eat

I am getting banded in 10 days. I realize that I am doing this to make a change in my life and will need to eat properly. That said, Ii was wondering, which foods I will not be physically able to eat again EVER. I know I shouldn't but will I be physically able to ever eat/drink:

- a piece of steak

- a slice of pizza

- a beer

- a few bites of cake

- a nacho

- a cashew

I am committed to eating a proper diet but I hate to think I will never taste these items again.

Any other foods I will never be able to physically digest again?

What is your experience?

Hi,

I think it depends on how 'filled' your band is. I was banded on Nov 23, have lost 31 Lbs and have had absolutely NO problems with ANY foods. That being said, I haven't had a fill yet though. My doctor has told me that if I keep losing weight I may not need to have a fill. I have read that if you eat slowly, take small bites and chew well you should be able to eat most foods. Everybody's experience is different so good luck to you and congratulations on your decision to get the lapband. You'll find that this is a great place to have your questions answered and to get great support. Keep us posted of your journey!

Cheers :)

You will probably be able to taste all of those things down the road. The only things I have had trouble with (not stuck food, but a great pressure above my band) are breads and Pasta. They are really hard to chew up so they break apart. I eat nuts for Snacks, mostly almonds, but I have had cashews. I have had nachos. I have tasted beer. I will eventually try a very soft center cut filet steak, but haven't yet. I'm afraid of pizza because of the crust, but as much as I love it, I don't really miss it. I will eat cake someday, but I haven't wanted to yet. Wow!

Don't confuse the fact that you CAN physically eat most of the foods you love, with the fact that you SHOULDN'T MOST OF THE TIME. Please take your time healing from surgery, and trying to stick to the foods that are "allowed", until you have a really good sense of how your body is going to react to different consistencies of food. Hopefully, you will be so pleased with your weight loss that you will want to forego most of the goodies, most of the time. Good luck!

El Diva, we were banded on the same day and have lost the same amount...Weird!

You should be able to physically eat any of those things in moderation. I am 6 wks out and the only thing I wouldn't attempt right now would be steak. I have had pizza but only ate the toppings and it satisfied my craving I was having at the moment. I have had a nacho dip but it was only a few chips with it. I am not a beer drinker and have avoided carbonated beverages so far so I can't really say on that. I have seen that there are a few banded people who do still drink beer on occasion on here so that shouldn't be out completely either.

But remember everyone's different and can tolerate different foods and different levels of fill. Some people have problems with lots of foods and some can eat almost anything in moderation.

I understand your concern because I felt like I was giving up so much because food was sort of a priority in my life. Now it's just my fuel to get through the day and I don't have near the cravings for foods like I used to.

One thing that really stuck with me at my nutrition class was to change "can't" to "don't want/choose to". I was having a really hard time thinking I was going to have to give so much up. I was in last meal mode. Just that small change in thinking has really helped me. Yes, I can have a piece of cake but I choose not to because it won't make me feel good physically. Yes, I can have a nacho, but I choose not too because it doesn't give me the Protein I need and I really don't want to loose my hair. At my daughter's birthday she had a giant cinnamon roll, and I just had one bite, on a plate, with a fork and I took the tiniest bites and savored each one. It made me feel like I still got to participate, and I really enjoyed that one bite. Try to look at what you are gaining, instead of giving up. I haven't heard anything about nuts, but as long as you chew them good, I can't see why not. Hang in there!

El Diva, we were banded on the same day and have lost the same amount...Weird!

WOW! That's really neat! We're 'bandster twins'!! LOL! I have often wondered how my progress is doing compared to others banded around the same time, so that was great to hear! Congrats to you......and to me... Hee Hee!

I'm 3 months out and have lost 48 pounds. I have had 2 fills & haven't hit the sweet spot yet but not sure i need to right now. I'm controlling my diet by counting my calories (1200 daily) and exercising. If i want pizza, i make a salad first & then have a sliver of pizza and i do that with any food that might not be the best choice. That way i get my craving taken care of but in moderation. That said, i stay away from chips, pretzels and candy type things, but if the boys have something, i might sneak a nibble. For now, this works for me & i'm reaching my own personal goals. If for some reason that the weight loss slows down, then i'll readjust & keep moving forward.

Good luck with your journey!

not a whole heck of a lot of anything!

honestly... this is the most difficult thing i've ever done!

think about that steak you eat... or even a chicken breast.

once you're banded and at a decent restriction, you'll only be able to eat less than half of that piece of meat.... even though it tastes so good. you have to train your brain to stop eating. and it's hard stopping.