Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Words of Wisdom...Please?!

Hello everyone!

I am new to this forum...I have not had Lap Band surgery done yet, I am going for my initial consultation next week and would like some words of wisdom from those of you who have already started your journey! I am so excited I have decided to do this but I'm finding myself very nervous. I have only had one surgery in my life, (gallbladder removed last year), and I think the actual SURGERY part scares me more than the recovery and new way of life that follows....and I am a nurse! lol. Just wanted to hear from some of you, what was your surgery like? Were there any complications? How was your immediate recovery? Thanks in advance! -- Lacy

Hello everyone!

I am new to this forum...I have not had Lap Band surgery done yet, I am going for my initial consultation next week and would like some words of wisdom from those of you who have already started your journey! I am so excited I have decided to do this but I'm finding myself very nervous. I have only had one surgery in my life, (gallbladder removed last year), and I think the actual SURGERY part scares me more than the recovery and new way of life that follows....and I am a nurse! lol. Just wanted to hear from some of you, what was your surgery like? Were there any complications? How was your immediate recovery? Thanks in advance! -- Lacy

Hello Lacy,

I had my lap band surgery in Nov. 2008. Since then I've lost 95 lbs. Gone from a size 22 to between a size 6 and an 8!!! I am 61 yrs. old. It was the easiest surgery I've ever had. Of course all i had had prior to that was a hysterectomy and a tonsillectomy. I was feeling great in about a week. I had no pain, even after the surgery! BUT in about 3 weeks out from the lap band procedure, i got pancreatitis. I felt pretty bad then. I ended up having my gallbladder removed which my doctor determined that it was the cause of the pancreatitis. After that surgery, I have been great. It took a while to recover from that since I was already sore from the banding and the gallbladder as you know, is in the same area as the band was put. Anyway the lap band has changed my life. I feel better and I know I have to look better, too. I am a teacher and I have more energy and can bend, stoop and do all the things that were always so uncomfortable for me before. Since I'd lost so much weight and had a lot of fat hanging from my stomach I decided to have a penniculectomy to remove the stomach fat. Now that was very uncomfortable for about 4 weeks. The 2 drains I had were really not fun!!! But believe it or not I had no pain even th ough I was cut from one side to the other! The plastic surgeon that did mine was fantastic. You can imagine the difference that surgery has made in my appearance! Hope this feedback has been a help to you! margie

My surgery was the best thing I ever did for myself. I am about 18 months out down 84 lbs. Surgery was easy and so was my healing time. I lost all of my hunger really early on. Now I just deal with head hunger

Cheri

I had my surgery in November 2010. It was my first surgery and I was a bit worried :o. I recovered quickly with minimal discomfort post-surgery. My incisions healed well and I experienced minimal gas pains and discomfort in the week following the surgery. I had a hiatal hernia repair at the same time. Both procedures went well. I was tired as expected but other than what I've mentioned, there were no complications. I had surgery on a Wednesday morning, stayed overnight because of sleep apnea, and returned to work on Tuesday.

I walked as much as I could at the hospital and continued to walk when I came home which I believe helped my recovery.

Best wishes on your journey.

I had surgery 7/17/07 at the age of 52 - weighed 250 lbs - Lost the weight with in 1 yr - Today 136 - will be 56 on Saturday - I can tell you I feel better at 56 than I did at 46 !!!

Words of wisdom - This isn't the magic cure all to your issue with food - the band doesn't do the work - it's only a tool. The real work is up to you. You gotta get that this isn't a diet - but a total change in your eating habits - I had heard this a million times in WW - but as you know once we go on a diet - we lose the weight and then go back to eating normal and quit exercising - I finally realized that my eat normal and not exercising is what got me fat in the 1st place

I suggest counting calories - keeping a food & exercise diary - I did this until I reached goal - it's a learning tool - I changed my eating habits - I use to eat very high fat - tons of starches/carbs & sugar - and sat on my butt 24/7 365 (what else can you do when you weight 250 lbs - hell vacuuming the house made me break out in a sweat)

Today I eat health (low fat - limited starches & carbs & sugar) 98% of the time - I allow (budget) for treats 2% of the time - I go to the gym 4 times a week - 2 x's weights - 2 x cardio..

I will do this for the rest of my life if I want to maintain my new healthy body.. I will never go back to eating normal ;0) cuz I know where that will get me (250 lbs)

The quality of my life has improved - I can go zip lining - I can para sail - I can scub dive - I can hike a mountain - I am no longer limited in what I can or can't do..

The band will never take away your head hunger and imho that's where most of hunger is - in our heads

I can be physically full from dinner - but my band doesn't stop my head from telling me I'm still hungry - I still crave more food - I want the taste - I love the taste of food..

So just don't think that once you are banded that it's going to be the magic cure all - the real work is up to you..

Hi there indio girl,thank you for telling it like it is. I am struggling right now to use my tool the way it is intended to be used, I eat a lot at night and I was watching the show heavy today and got really depressed, I want to lose weight, i've only lost 20 lbs since my surgery on sept 13, 2010 i am bit discouraged, i went to see the surgeon this month and she said i didn't need a fill yet but i am wondering if maybe i did. well i am writing you to ask you what did you do to get on track or were you on track right after surgery? ....anyways thanks for any help you can give.

I had surgery 7/17/07 at the age of 52 - weighed 250 lbs - Lost the weight with in 1 yr - Today 136 - will be 56 on Saturday - I can tell you I feel better at 56 than I did at 46 !!!

Words of wisdom - This isn't the magic cure all to your issue with food - the band doesn't do the work - it's only a tool. The real work is up to you. You gotta get that this isn't a diet - but a total change in your eating habits - I had heard this a million times in WW - but as you know once we go on a diet - we lose the weight and then go back to eating normal and quit exercising - I finally realized that my eat normal and not exercising is what got me fat in the 1st place

I suggest counting calories - keeping a food & exercise diary - I did this until I reached goal - it's a learning tool - I changed my eating habits - I use to eat very high fat - tons of starches/carbs & sugar - and sat on my butt 24/7 365 (what else can you do when you weight 250 lbs - hell vacuuming the house made me break out in a sweat)

Today I eat health (low fat - limited starches & carbs & sugar) 98% of the time - I allow (budget) for treats 2% of the time - I go to the gym 4 times a week - 2 x's weights - 2 x cardio..

I will do this for the rest of my life if I want to maintain my new healthy body.. I will never go back to eating normal ;0) cuz I know where that will get me (250 lbs)

The quality of my life has improved - I can go zip lining - I can para sail - I can scub dive - I can hike a mountain - I am no longer limited in what I can or can't do..

The band will never take away your head hunger and imho that's where most of hunger is - in our heads

I can be physically full from dinner - but my band doesn't stop my head from telling me I'm still hungry - I still crave more food - I want the taste - I love the taste of food..

So just don't think that once you are banded that it's going to be the magic cure all - the real work is up to you..

Hi there indio girl,thank you for telling it like it is. I am struggling right now to use my tool the way it is intended to be used, I eat a lot at night and I was watching the show heavy today and got really depressed, I want to lose weight, i've only lost 20 lbs since my surgery on sept 13, 2010 i am bit discouraged, i went to see the surgeon this month and she said i didn't need a fill yet but i am wondering if maybe i did. well i am writing you to ask you what did you do to get on track or were you on track right after surgery? ....anyways thanks for any help you can give.

I gotta say I was on tract since surgery - but this was my ah ha moment - I came home from work one day while I was still on mushie stages and I was really tired (big food trigger) - so I was going to make white gravy (you know the kind that you have w/biscuits) over mashed potatoes.. It was a mushies ;o) I was frying the bacon in the pan - I looked at it - all that grease - and I said - Janet - did you just have freaking major surgery to continue to eat this way... I said NOPE - so I threw it away and ate something healthier -I don't remember what it was but I didn't eat greasy white gravy...

The test to see if you need a fill imho - is try and eat 4 oz of hard Protein like steak chicken etc then 1/4 c of veggie - put the food away - sit and contemplate your stomach does it feel full - it most likely does - but your head is telling you - that you are hungry not your stomach

Keep a food diary with the kinds of foods you eat and how much - then take this to your doctor..

I budgeted my calories to take into consideration that I too like to eat at night -

IndioGirl, your responses were very well put and full of wisdom; you are truly an inspiration to me! My name is Janet too! I could relate to everything you were saying. I am just now really getting into a good niche of discipline. I agree that many times our "hunger" is in our heads. If we eating properly and let it settle, our stomachs will tell us that we are satisfied. Many times I too have food struggles late at night. The first I do to combat this - since I know it occurs - is to keep healthy choices in the house. I don't live alone, so that's not always convenient, but I am using my best weapon... DISCIPLINE!

Yes, there are occasions where I have eaten what I shouldn't have, but like you, I got a wake up call and had to tell myself that I didn't come this far to fail now! It's an uphill battle for sure, and one of the hardest things I've had to do, yet I tell myself that I'm worth it!! My goal is to be healthy, and at 59 years old (60 in July) - if not now, when? I look forward to being active again and wearing form-fitting clothes and not cover ups. No more plus size and maybe at some point, I'll work up the nerve to get back into a bathing suit (that may be going a bit far)!

To all of us who are on this journey...struggling or not... CONGRATULATIONS AND KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK - IT WILL PAY OFF SOON ENOUGH!! :)

IndioGirl, your responses were very well put and full of wisdom; you are truly an inspiration to me! My name is Janet too! I could relate to everything you were saying. I am just now really getting into a good niche of discipline. I agree that many times our "hunger" is in our heads. If we eating properly and let it settle, our stomachs will tell us that we are satisfied. Many times I too have food struggles late at night. The first I do to combat this - since I know it occurs - is to keep healthy choices in the house. I don't live alone, so that's not always convenient, but I am using my best weapon... DISCIPLINE!

Yes, there are occasions where I have eaten what I shouldn't have, but like you, I got a wake up call and had to tell myself that I didn't come this far to fail now! It's an uphill battle for sure, and one of the hardest things I've had to do, yet I tell myself that I'm worth it!! My goal is to be healthy, and at 59 years old (60 in July) - if not now, when? I look forward to being active again and wearing form-fitting clothes and not cover ups. No more plus size and maybe at some point, I'll work up the nerve to get back into a bathing suit (that may be going a bit far)!

To all of us who are on this journey...struggling or not... CONGRATULATIONS AND KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK - IT WILL PAY OFF SOON ENOUGH!! :)

Janet - WTG on your 30 lbs - Yep this is a journey - both physically & mentally.. I had bday cake this weekend but as of this morning it's in the trash - better in thee than in me :0) - Hugs Janet

Janet - WTG on your 30 lbs - Yep this is a journey - both physically & mentally.. I had bday cake this weekend but as of this morning it's in the trash - better in thee than in me :0) - Hugs Janet

Janet, I have tossed foods as well. Quick way to get it out of the house! You are an inspiration and a proven success story that being focused pays off. Thanks for sharing your positive experiences that this thing works. I'm getting there.

So how do you deal with the head hunger then? I agree, as I can get up from dinner feeling full and then an hour later want more food...

So how do you deal with the head hunger then? I agree, as I can get up from dinner feeling full and then an hour later want more food...

I distract myself - I come to lbt and post - or play games on Facebook - and I budget my calories (yes I still think about them - I don't keep a food diary anymore - did for the 1st yr) and I save about 300 cal for nite time Snacks - I eat those 100 cal snack pack popcorn I eat one piece at a time - not handfuls ;0) and I usually have a sf fudgesicle or sf pudding

I must confess,occassionally I have given in to my hunger at night and added unexpectedly to my planned food intake. The good news is that I keep healthy choices in the house that are low carb so the damage to my calorie budget is minimal. If I get in enough Protein, veggies, and fruits during the day, I stand a better chance of not going overboard at nite too much. If and when I do go over the limits that I've set for myself based on my doctor's recommendations, then I'm that much more careful immediately the next morning. Every day is full of challenges and the opportunity to exercise discipline - which many times takes practice...and as they say, practice makes perfect! I'm learning to be kind and patient with myself and trust that the weight will come off. Since I didn't pack it on all at once, I cannot be in an unrealistic state of mind to think that this weight will melt off all at once. To quote: "Let patience have her perfect work." Be encouraged; we all need it!

I'm a pre-bander and I'm stalking a lot of postings here....I came across this one and had to put in my two cents of my journey to getting banded. I have really kicked things into high gear the past two months and have decided "IT IS TIME" and I've worked really hard at finding new "yummies" because I know there will be times I give into my head...sometimes you just have to, right?

I was a Mt. Dew addict...literally. Nope, now it is Crystal Light Honey Lemon Green Tea. I used to have a Jethro Bodine lunch (meaning huge), now it is a Lean Cuisine or Smart One and fresh cut veggies or a yogurt. Greek Honey vanilla Yogurt with a package of Splenda..Yummy. I've also learned to like the taste of sugar free pudding and Jell-o. I think if you change these simple things, you can still treat yourself once in a while. The sugar free chocolate pudding really satisfied my sweet tooth and the craving was gone. Before I would have had a Snickers.....I'm good now. Also Fiber One oats & chocolate bar...yummy but probably not so good for you (but I'm really need Fiber with these changes).

Can you suggest some really good Protein shakes and powders? I've tried them before in the past on my many diet adventures and cannot find one that I can even try to pretend is a glass of chocolate milk, or a Wendy's Frosty. I know they aren't going to be the same, but there has to be something out there that tastes good and can be semi-enjoyable.

Great work everyone...I am so excited (and terrified at the same time) of my new life ahead. No more ugly fat lady clothes for me. I want to shop in the normal section again....I'm not even looking to be skinny. Healthy is my goal...I will be thrilled to reach 165, anything extra is a bonus.