Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much fat to eat??

I know how many calories and how much Protein I need. But can anyone tell me how much fat is too much?

Yesterday I had 1125 calories, 63 Proteins and 35 fat.

Today 960 calories, 52 protein and 27 fat. (I know not enough cals and pros)

35 and 27 sound like a lot. Do you count your fat grams??

There are different divisions depending on which diet or Dr. you ask. I personally try to stay at less than 30 percent fat and that fat is supposed to be low cholesterol and low in trans fat, High in Omega 3 and polyunsaturates. This is a recommendation from my cardiologist, He would like me to stay at or about 25 percent. Its hard to stay on track so I use fitday.com to track everything. check it out it is pretty good.

I try to stay under 20g a day, but it doesn't always work. Most of the Protein I like comes with fat as well. I don't watch it as closely as I probably should, but as long as my weight continues to move, I don't complain much :P

25-30% of your total caloric intake should be from fat calories. On a 1200 calorie diet that equals 300-360 calories or (divided by 9) 33-40 grams of fat per day. 10% or less (120 calories or 13 grams) of your total caloric intake should be from saturated fat, the bad news is that animal fat is saturated fat, so it can make getting your Protein difficult.

I am amazed at how much I know about all this stuff, but boy is it hard to live it!

Hey, I went to the link to check out my stats!

I am 68 inches, 245 pounds, and barely 35 (hehe)

Your basal metabolic rate (basically couch potato weight maintenance amount - I think), aerobic metabolic rate (must take in more than this to gain weight), and a guideline for safe weight loss is given!!

Mine (for my personal stats) is posted below!

No less than 1354.0 calories per day recommended for safe consistent weight loss. Mo more than 45.136g (30%) of fat, 50.778g (15%) of Protein, 186.18g (55%) of carbohydrate. At this safe consistent Weight Loss Caloric rate, you will lose 1 pound every 7 days.

That is what the site suggests. Personally, I believe that carb number is way high! I also try to stay below 1200 calories, but now I know I can play with my numbers a little!

This really helped with my questions, thanks again!

I found this FREE site for fitness tracking, has a great calorie counter (and you can add your own foods to it!!) I like it so far, give it a try!!!

www.sparkpeople.com

~cheri

I dont want to get scientific about it this time. I'm never going to diet again and to me counting fat grams is dieting, it makes me obsessed and it makes me feel deprived. I know that if I base my diet around wholegrains and fruit and vegetables it's going to be reasonably low in the undesirable fats. I might eat a lot of fat one day in a meal and very little the next.

I make sure to include plenty of good fats - most westerner's are deficient in Omega 3's and the benefits they have to your body include improved fat burning metabolism. So not only do I never restrict foods like oily fish and avocados, and even eat unsalted nuts occasionally, I actually take a few teaspoons of flax seed oil every day. So overall I probably have a higher fat diet than many but the benefits we've seen in our health over the last year (the effects on Fraser's eczema have been amazing) and my cholesterol has dropped by half, Dougs is down also, make it worthwhile. And it doesnt seem to be affecting my weight loss at all.

Maybe later I'll have to keep a closer eye on it though.

I have been to room 42 before and forgot about it. Thanks Kathy.

40g just sounds like tooooooo much. But who knows.

I really just wanted to find out how much everyone else was eating.

Cheri--WOW I love that site sparkpeople.com I am going to sign up there today!! Thanks.

Thank you everyone for your replys. It's a big help!!!

Here are my results from room42....

No less then 1200 calories per day recommended for safe consistent Weight Loss. This is:

no more then 40 grams of fat (30%) for your Weight Loss Caloric Rate

45 grams of Protein (15%) for your Weight Loss Caloric Rate

165 grams of carbohydrate (55%) for your Weight Loss Caloric Rate

At this safe consistent Weight Loss Caloric Rate,

you will lose 1 pound every 8.3553 Days

from Room42

Input Weight is: 315 in U.S. Pounds

Input Height is: 76 in U.S. Inches

Input Age is : 26

Input Gender is: male

--------------------

No less then 1971 calories per day recommended for safe consistent Weight Loss. This is no more than;

65 grams of fat (30%) for your Weight Loss Caloric Rate

74 grams of Protein (15%) for your Weight Loss Caloric Rate

271 grams of carbohydrate (55%) for your Weight Loss Caloric Rate

At this safe consistent Weight Loss Caloric Rate, you will lose 1 pound every 7 Days

-------------------

I am currently running at about 1300 cal/day (only had 1 fill so far), doing horrible on Protein (maybe 40g/day) and carbs are around 50-70g/day

im down 50 lb since 10/20/05 and am going in for a fill next week!

I've been doing fitday.com and it looks like about 1/2 of what I eat is fat! I'm only eating 1200 calories per day though. I guess I will try to cut down on the fat some too.