Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Medically Supervised Diet Pre-Bandsters...

Can someone who was successfully approved after their 6 month diet tell me exactly what the doctor tracked during the diet? I am afraid my doctor is not documenting enough and I am going to go through the six months and find out I have to do it all over again. I know I am a worry wart but this is very important to me.

Thanks!

Can someone who was successfully approved after their 6 month diet tell me exactly what the doctor tracked during the diet? I am afraid my doctor is not documenting enough and I am going to go through the six months and find out I have to do it all over again. I know I am a worry wart but this is very important to me.

Thanks!

I think every insurance company is different. My 6 month diet was supervised by a nutritionist who only contacted me by phone. I had to lose 5% of my starting weight during the 6 months, and she had to assert that I had tried to eat right and excersize, but my Dr didn't do anything except weigh me at the beginning and end.

I am on month two of my medically supervised diet. This has been difficult for me mentally because I am teetering on the BMI of 40 ledge and don't want to lose weight and get disqualified. All of my overweight life I have been conscious of what I eat and now I feel like I am sabotaging myself by not focusing on losing weight. Weird huh?

Hi Jen

I was on a 6 month requirement too and I was afraid of being disqualified if I lost weight. My surgeons office told me that it's your beginning weight that counts and anything you lose is a bonus and a headstart to the rest of your life. Enjoy the ride!

Best wishes to you. Chris

Went to my 1st doctor appt on Thursday, so I have to do a 6 mos supervise diet, I have 3 out of 4 appt schedule so far!

post deleted

I am 5 mos in with bcbs of IL and also teetering the 40 bmi. My patient advocate told me I could not lose 1 lb or I would be disqualified. Any updates since this is an older post? Did they just go off your starting weight or did they look at the while 6mos?

I did not have to do the 6 months supervised diet I had to do a once a week appointment with a registered dietiation that was a really a total waste of time and effort I had to drive 200 miles round trip and a tank of gas to sit in her office for about 15 minutes while we just chit chatted about what I had done the week before and she never once offered any guidance or help in dietary changes and she just made a little note on a sheet each week and then on the last appointment she said they would submet to my insurance and let me know when they had a decision and as it turned out I had to call my insurance myself to get the answer it was funny how within an hour of my call to them I got a call from the surgeons office saying "Hey you have been approved for the surgery" .

Just put it down to the stupid hoops your insurance will make you jump through to get the band.

Hi, my Dr and Nurse said they use your weight from day one, when they submit the paper work for approval.So if you lose weight its a bonus and some people lose 10-20 lbs during their pre-op liquid diet.

I am 5 mos in with bcbs of IL and also teetering the 40 bmi. My patient advocate told me I could not lose 1 lb or I would be disqualified. Any updates since this is an older post? Did they just go off your starting weight or did they look at the while 6mos?

I'm pleased to announce my final doctor documented diet / weigh in will be this Thursday. After that, let the games begin :)

Congratulations!!! I know you must be thrilled. Were you able to lose any weight during your supervised diet?