Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 days post op and hungry

:unsure: I'm sure there is already a topic about being hungry after the lapband surgery but one didn't catch my eye. I am feeling fustrated already and I'm 4 days into it (or out of it..how ever you look at it). I am hungry and find myself picking at things that I know that I should not have. Sometimes it makes me have an upset stomach and other times I'm ok (so then I want more) I took a laxative pill this morning thinking that it would help me with the gas pain since the Gas X Strips don't seem to be doing it for me. Thinking that that was a very big mistake. Cramping pretty bad. I eat the 2 -4 oz., how the heck is that suppose to last 40 min??? I am thinking about calling the docs office tomorrow to talk to them.

Has anyone else felt like this? Anyone have words of encouragement?

:unsure: I'm sure there is already a topic about being hungry after the lapband surgery but one didn't catch my eye. I am feeling fustrated already and I'm 4 days into it (or out of it..how ever you look at it). I am hungry and find myself picking at things that I know that I should not have. Sometimes it makes me have an upset stomach and other times I'm ok (so then I want more) I took a laxative pill this morning thinking that it would help me with the gas pain since the Gas X Strips don't seem to be doing it for me. Thinking that that was a very big mistake. Cramping pretty bad. I eat the 2 -4 oz., how the heck is that suppose to last 40 min??? I am thinking about calling the docs office tomorrow to talk to them.

Has anyone else felt like this? Anyone have words of encouragement?

I was on liquid diet for two weeks post op, I had surgery Oct. 1, 2010 and have not been hungry, I guess all docs are different, but I had to do one week clear liquid pre-op and post op, then two weeks of pureed food--I still do not get hungry I had my first adjustment today, I went two other times for and adjustment but was losing good amounts of weight, so no adjustment--Yes you need to call the doctors office.

Yes I'm starving and still have a week to go. I just got back from the mall where my blood sugar dropped so low that I almost blacked out. I also had a bad pain under my ribs an d after dry heaving it stopped so I'm wondering if my port moved and dry heaving moved it back into a comfy place?? I don't know... But I do know I'm hungry :(

The port should have been stitched to the stomach so it should not have moved. Maybe you just had some gas pains and that caused the pains under your ribs. I get them everytime I need to burp - sometimes I can and others times I can't.

I'm def going to call the doctors office tomorrow to see what they say. I do have a 10 day appointment on the 26th of Jan (I think).

Thanks for the repost!

Yes I'm starving and still have a week to go. I just got back from the mall where my blood sugar dropped so low that I almost blacked out. I also had a bad pain under my ribs an d after dry heaving it stopped so I'm wondering if my port moved and dry heaving moved it back into a comfy place?? I don't know... But I do know I'm hungry :(

I'm three days out and starving.

I'm on a liquid diet for 10 days then I can add some small things - my whole plan is in food and Nutrition under post plans.

I've been getting 40 grams of Protein guaranteed with Isopure, Jello made with Isopure 8 grams of Protein per serving, I've had broth, some ice cream for calories and sugar since everything is sugar free and I have naturally low blood sugar. Since I can't add any actual food for another seven days I imagine I'll stay hungry. I'm down 3 lbs since surgery and it's unlikely it's Water weight as I've been drinking over 60 oz a day.

Prior to surgery this was a main issue for me. I'm always hungry even just after eating. I'm hoping the band will help with some of that, though it's not known to depress hunger much despite applying pressure to the vagas nerve.

I'm 6 days post-op and starving as well. I'm on a full liquid diet for 12 days. I Too have been picking at little things my fiancé is eating and it's all going down fine. I recommend the cream of rice, it's filling and has some texture and I made it with beef broth for flavor. I made cous cous tonight and drank Water with each bite and im feeling just fine! I feel like it is really hard to eat healthy when your stuck on liquids. All I want is baked chicken and broccoli with lemon!! Good luck!

Are you allowed to have Protein Shakes? If so I would have broth and then an hour later have the shake. If you are still hungry I would have more broth/stock instead of eating other things. Are they solids? You really need to stay on liquids until you doctor approves moving on. "Eating" every few hours should help with both head and physical hunger.

The diet plan that I was given says: Clear Liquids for 1 - 3 days, full liquids for 2 weeks: including stage 1 baby food. then pureed foods for 2 wks. By this time, I will have had an appointment with the doc about the first fill. I have been eating Chobani Greek Yogurt and drinking Special K20 drink. I still feel as though I need more Protein. I did call the nurse today but she has not returned my phone call yet.

My husband came up with one that really satisfied me and tasted great. He mixed the unflavored Protein powder in with some Tomato Soup and it was really good. I also like to put something spicy in my broth (which also has the Protein Powder in it), like curry, just to give it some more bite. I only had to be on liquids for 3 days and now I am on soft solids until the 31st. Today wasn't so bad. I was really hungry yesterday. I don't go back to the doctor until Feb 5th and then they will determine if I get a fill or not yet. I hope so because I am getting my 90 grams of Protein a day and I am hungry about two hours after my meal. I find I do better if I wait at least 1/2 after I eat before I drink anything, but it is hard. I tried gum and that was NOT the right thing. It pumped me full of air! I got some vegetable charcoal stuff for the gas and it seemed to work.

About the laxative, have you tried the chia seeds for Fiber and whatnot? I guess not, since you are on liquids, but I made a chia gel and I take a swig of it and it seems to quell some of the hunger pangs between meals.

I also have been trying this accupressure point thing I read about where you pinch that little tab above your earlobs with your thumbs and forefingers and hold it for one minute. I have also been sniffing peppermint oil, and rubbing some "Appetite Control" oil from Natures Inventory. I don't know if any of it works, but at least it is keeping my hands busy! I also just keep telling myself, hunger is only temporary. The next nourishment is just around the corner.

Hi

I have complete sympathy.

The two weeks post op were the hardest for me but I am very glad I stayed with the clear liquids. It seems there are lots of differing opinions from doctors about what types of foods you can have and when you can have them.

My doctor said clear liquids only -- for two weeks post op. (the nutritionist, however, said clear liquids for 2 days, full liquids the rest of the week, then move on to mushies, etc).

I did what the doctor said and was extremely hungry. Scary hungry. The hunger pangs seemed to course thru my whole body at times. I drank a lot of Water. I thought of the time as a kind of purifying and cleaning out period.

It was the worst time for me and luckily I was off work (I took 3 weeks).

When I got to the full liquid stage, it was heavenly. Mixing unflavored Protein Powder into different foods was very helpful. I have heard some people mix a little bit of sugar free pudding mix into their Protein Drink to make it thicker -- though I have not tried that yet.

The best I can say is hang in there. It is wise to stay with what your doctor ordered and anything else that gives you the best foundation to be successful with the band. Do everything you can to help your body to heal before adding or experimenting with different foods.

I was miserable for two weeks after being banded, but have never regretted sticking to clear liquids during that time.

I believe the new drink muscle milk makes, Protein H2O, would be considered a clear liquid. It has 10 grams of protein. It helps with hydration as well.

Hang in there!!!!

This too shall pass.

~hiddn

I drank a Protein shake last night - all I could get down was 3oz. I added Peanut Butter (1 tablespoon) to it which made it sooooooo much better! I jumped on the scale this morning to see how I have been doing and much to my surprise I am down a total 21.6 lbs since Jan 2!!! I am so freaking happy!!!!! I am now 6 days post op. I spoke with the nurse yesterday and told her about my weight loss, she orginally told me that she didn't even think I would be done 23 lbs. by June. She was very surprised. I go back to see the doc in a few days and see what he says.

those 2 weeks post op... for me 4 weeks until solid food... were the WORST. after about 5 days I was hungry all of the time, liquids just went right through and nothing was satisfying. Up until last week with my 3rd fill I've been hungry. I'm finally feeling what I hope is restriction, but the hunger is something I wasn't expecting!!!

What does your doctor classify as 'full liquids'? Anything that can be 'poured'? If so, make up a Protein drink and add things to it to 'bulk' it up. I was lucky, my doctor went through the various stages in days so at 2 weeks post op I was back on solid foods. My doctor defined 'liquid' as 'pourable'. If I need a spoon to scoop it out of the blender, then it's 'mushy'.

Every 3 hours I'd make up a Protein shake. For my 'meal' shakes (Breakfast, lunch dinner), I'd put half a banana, a tablespoon of Peanut Butter in my Protein Shakes. I'd use EAS chocolate powder from costco along with unsweetened almond milk (to help control the carbs). For my mid-meal shakes, I'd leave out the Peanut Butter and banana. I don't think I was ever hungry.