Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm a total moron, amd i think i messed up

Uhm, if I had wilpower I would not of gotten surgery.

I thought this band was more like the stomach stappling where

You had no choice...if you ate something wrong, it would come right back up!

I'm freaking out about the possibility of a slip

Maybe you should have had more facts before you did the surgery, your lucky you did not vomit the vomiting in early stages after surgery is what can

cause slippage.If your that freaked call your drs. Office and explain your concerns and be honest with them on what you ate. I am sure your fine just get back on your drs. food plan.

Unfortunately, the band doesn't do all the work, you have to work the band. The good news is that once you start getting enough Fluid in the band, your appetite is dimmed enough that whatever amount of will power you have, it becomes stronger. And each time you resist something, that little bit of will power grows.

Some thoughts about Will Power by Jessie Ahroni (posted on Smartbandsters ~ a yahoo group~ on 1-9-2011

Re: Willpower

People usually have core beliefs about their own "willpower." Some feel that

their willpower is strong; others blame a lifetime struggle with obesity on

lack of willpower. Regardless of what your belief is about willpower, we

invite you to rethink the concept altogether. What if willpower is not some

special gift that you either have or don't have? What if willpower is simply

the following:

* A trigger (an internal or external experience that leads to an impulse)

* An impulse (in this case, a desire to eat or stuff down feelings with food)

* A decision (in this case, a decision to eat or not to eat)

* An action (in this case, acting on the decision to eat or not to eat)

What if willpower is simply a trigger, followed by an impulse, followed by a

decision, followed by an action? You already possess every power needed to

make good choices about your health and what you eat. Learn to break down

this sequence and make a decision to eat only if you are physically hungry.

Make a list of alternative activities to fill up 10-15 minutes the next time

you are tempted to eat when you are not physically hungry.

Love this Mel. I wanted to post so I could bookmark it. Thanks for posting it!

Love this Mel. I wanted to post so I could bookmark it. Thanks for posting it!

You're very welcome. I find many/most of Jessie's advice to be helpful. I give her a lot of credit for helping me understand how to work my band long term. :)

TanksMama,

Its sounds like you're gonna be just fine. I certainly would heed the warnings of all the good folks responding to your original post and get back to Drs. orders. If you are unsure of your dietary requirements, I'm positive your doctors office will be happy to go over them with you again. I am a little curious as to your pre-surgical requirements. Were you required to go through nutrition courses as it related to your LapBand? Did you have a Q & A meeting with your doctor about how the LapBand works, what it looks like using a model of the stomach with the band attached, risks, benefits, etc......? Did they even explain to you the differences between RnY and gastric banding? I'm just curious as to the extent of the Drs. pre and post surgical instruction and care. And one last question if I may.....I am interested to know if your surgery was covered under a health plan, or whether you were "self-pay".

Once again- I'm sure you'll be just fine, best of luck with your journey!

TanksMama,

Its sounds like you're gonna be just fine. I certainly would heed the warnings of all the good folks responding to your original post and get back to Drs. orders. If you are unsure of your dietary requirements, I'm positive your doctors office will be happy to go over them with you again. I am a little curious as to your pre-surgical requirements. Were you required to go through nutrition courses as it related to your LapBand? Did you have a Q & A meeting with your doctor about how the LapBand works, what it looks like using a model of the stomach with the band attached, risks, benefits, etc......? Did they even explain to you the differences between RnY and gastric banding? I'm just curious as to the extent of the Drs. pre and post surgical instruction and care. And one last question if I may.....I am interested to know if your surgery was covered under a health plan, or whether you were "self-pay".

Once again- I'm sure you'll be just fine, best of luck with your journey!

My doctor DID go over the diet with me to a certain extent. He didn't really go into full detail. The way I basically took it was 'eat what you can, with A LOT of protein' which was what my mother and husband gathered to at the same meeting. I went in to get the stomach stapling... but because I am so young (only 21) he thought it would be better for me to get the Lap Band because pregnancy goes better along with that. My insurance paid 100%. Thank you for your reply!

Okay, so I am a moron

Uh.....Ok. YOU said it.

Let me see if I understand this. You went into surgery NOT KNOWING what you were having done?

Huh? How does THAT work?

In MOST "quality" surgical operations, the procedure being performed is verified with the patient in several steps. In my case, it was at the check in, and in the prep room by both the Surgeon and the Anesthesiologist . This to avoid a situation that you hear about every once in a while where a surgeon amputates the WRONG leg, for example. And he didn't EXPLAIN the differences between a Gastric Bypass and a Lap Band?

So, I'm gonna have to suppose that your surgeon is one of these guys who works out of a dune buggy at the foot of the Santa Monica Pier…or maybe shares space with a massage parlor in a strip mall, perhaps?

And...a Big Mac?.....Seriously....you Didn't. You Did? Ugh.:blink:

Unfortunately, this situation speaks to a LOT of issues. First, it points to the sometimes amazing lack of information provided to the patient by the Surgeon's Staff. There are some Bariatric groups that do an amazing job of preparing the patient for this process. Lots of pre-op information, coaching and classes, and spectacular post-surgical support, followup, and "cheerleading". This is CRUCIAL for the success of most WLS procedures.

BUT….there are many Surgeons who jump into this field for the quick and easy insurance money, and are not going to part with the time OR the money to set up such a program.

The other side of this coin is the patient. I am quite often astounded by what I read on this forum (and other forums) by patients who have had various types of weight loss surgery. The kinds of things they eat, their mindsets, the stuff they believe about their WLS, is often mind-boggling. It is no wonder that the Lap Band has such a low rate of success. The actions of the Patient has a HUGE amount to do with the Success of the Band, in situations where the Band was THE appropriate choice of surgeries. (Often it is not the right choice.)

Just about a year ago, a young woman on this forum asked why it was that Cotton candy went down so easily after WLS. I had the audacity to suggest to her that perhaps consuming pure sugar….let me repeat that: PURE SUGAR….might not be in her best interest after having weight loss surgery. The response from various members was astonishing. You would have thought I had just raped her baby and set fire to her kitten. It was kind of nasty. Not so muchfrom her, but various OTHER members of this forum! But…..not totally unexpected. Because so many people here do NOT "get it".

Incidentally, the young woman who had the cotton candy? She comes and goes on this forum. She made an appearance here recently, and commented that not only had she not lost any additional weight, she had PUT ON additional weight. Gee….ya think?

I say all of this not to berate the OP (ok, maybe just a little….) but to suggest to the OP and everyone else here who might be struggling that YOU play a vital role in the success of your Lap Band. If you are not continually doing the RIGHT things, and avoiding the WRONG things then you are going to FAIL at this, plain and simple. It is a fact that the Lap Band does NOT work for everyone. And it works in different ways for different people. And to varying degrees for people who it DOES work for. YOU have to work hard to make this thing work.

If you are not acting in a decidedly proactive manner, then will not succeed at this. The process does NOT start at the moment your band is installed. It starts WAY before that, when you do the research to ascertain what kind of WLS would be appropriate for you. It begins when you Make the DECISION to have WLS. From that point on you need to do everything in your power to make this the life-changing experience for you that it has been for many other people. And if you do not KNOW EXACTLY what you are getting into, then there is a problem on one or both ends.

You need to choose the RIGHT surgeon. (there are a LOT of greedy idiots out there playing with scalpels, waiting to soak up some of your hard-earned cash) You need to make sure that a first-class pre-surgery educational program is in place. You need to be sure that an excellent post-surgery support and follow-up program is available to you. You have to ask LOTS of questions of your support staff and the surgeon. You have to follow the surgeon's instructions to the LETTER. And if you do not get you results you want/need, then you have to look elsewhere for the information that will help you achieve the results you want.

For some people, this process is a nice, easy ride. They lose the weight, and go on living their lives. For others…not so much. It can be a disappointing adventure, full of frustration and heartache and no results to show for it. But YOU can play a role in how it will turn out for YOU.

And a HUGE part of the "success matrix" in this experience is understanding the fact that Pie-Holing a Big Mac is a BAD IDEA under ANY circumstances. If you didn't learn that prior to surgery, then you have some work to do.

Here is my suggestion to the OP: It would appear that you might have an idiot for a surgeon. If he did not give you anything more than a cursory gloss-over of what your responsibilities are in this process, then it is unlikely that he/she has much of a post-surgery support mechanism in place. So, I would suggest that you look for a new Doctor that SPECIALIZES in Bariatric Support. This does not necessarily mean a Surgical group, but a Physician who understands WLS and provides support for people who have had it. You don't find them all that frequently, and if there is not one in your area, then find a new WLS surgical group that will take you in as a post-surgical patient. SOME Groups will do that; others won't. If you can find one, GET INVOLVED. Ask questions. Go regularly to support meetings. Find out everything you can about this process, and make it work FOR YOU.

I'm sorry you had this experience. I don't think you have done any damage to your Band; you would probably know for certain if you did. It can be very unpleasant if you have done anything to change the positioning of the Lap Band.

NOTE: There is a thread on this forum that was begun about a Year and a half ago. It was closed for some reason, I think, but it was one the funniest threads I have ever seen on this forum. It has to do with the subject being discussed here, people who wonder why they have problems when they consume food that might not be considered a "good" choice. It is quite hysterical. If you search for "Seriously Curious" you will probably find it.

S.

Big Mac….Jeez.

Wow, I'm amazed that you could eat a Big Mac! I eat a tiny bite of mashed potatoes and I'm vomiting for 2 hours! But seriously, I'd call your doctor and come clean. The office staff may have some ideas for you that are practical and easier for you to follow. Hang in there!

Hautemama

Wow, I'm amazed that you could eat a Big Mac! I eat a tiny bite of mashed potatoes and I'm vomiting for 2 hours! But seriously, I'd call your doctor and come clean. The office staff may have some ideas for you that are practical and easier for you to follow. Hang in there!

Hautemama

Hautemama;

If you are vomiting continuously after consuming a small amount of Mashed Potatoes, You might need a slight unfill.....that should not be happening. The point of the Lap Band is not to strangle....it is to RESTRICT the amount you consume at any given time, with the "possilble/potential" added benefit of some appetite suppression at some point down the road. You NEED to eat....this is not a starvation diet.....

See your Doctor if you are experiencing that much discomfort......

S.

I don't know...I keep reading the stuff about willpower...and I feel like you need even MORE willpower with the band. Granted I'm only a couple of weeks in...but it has its' "sucky" moments. The gnawing belly hunger feeling is overwhelming sometimes. I "cheated" with mashed potatoes. It's was only a half cup...and I could barely eat the whole freakin' thing...but that's what I had and it felt like I'd choked down an entire Thanksgiving dinner.

Haven't had a fill yet...rather my doctor had left a little too much of the Fluid in initially when it was placed and I ended up retching like crazy and dehydrated on the third day of the band. They took a bit out and popped me into the hospital for 36 hours. Nice. But...each person is different.

For the original poster...think of it this way...there's a 4 ounce stomach there replacing that 32-64 ounce stomach that you had before...you didn't go through all the stress and planning that you had to do...for it to NOT work. You have been through so much. Don't "test" it...just treat it like you have to make this work. Think of it as a brand new baby stomach with a clean slate...and you have to take care of it like that.

The Protein really helps, too. I'm not really a sweets person...so sometimes it's annoying to consume the Protein drinks or mixed with pudding or whatever...but I do it. Also...water Water Water. They tell you that when you do any diet...but with this one...it seems to actually "fill the gap"...at least for a little while.

I wish you the best of luck and hope all is well with your band. Hopefully...things are okay. No one is perfect and every single one of us in this shape because we love food...so don't beat yourself up...just take care of yourself. You can do this!!

I could never imagine getting a whole Big Mac down just a few days after sugery......... a week out of surgery I could only eat about a half cup of cream Soup. Another classic examples of why it is important to make sound informed decisions.

I read the reply's from one of the ones who actually answered your question instead of lecturing you it sounds like you did not cause your band to slip. I had a scare like that myself, I ate 3 pcs of pizza one night and all night long i felt this fluttery feeling in my chest area..it was weird but it went away, I had an appt with my surgeon and asked her about it..she said that it was my esophugus trying to push the food down and if I continued to make my esophugus work so hard it would eventually stop working and I would have permanent damage and have to have the band removed and I would not be able to eat normally again...it was a scary moment. sometimes I still eat too much but knowing about slippage and damaging esophugus's keeps me mindful of the irreprable damage I could do to myself. I was under the mindset that if I could eat something without throwing up I was ok...I didnt think of the damage I can do to my body by eating too much...It's food for thought LOL

Okay, so I am a moron

I watched my friend go through an old fashion stomach stappling and thought that the lap band was the same thing

She was on the liquid diet because...that's all she might of been able to eat.

I thought the same thing

So, I got home with my diet guidelines in hand.

I followed them for the two days....

But I was feeling fine.

I became more confident

I starting 'testing the waters'

I ate a WHOLE big mac, and I ate it fast.

I've been eating like before I had it done

(I have had no fills)

Then I start messing around on here and find out that the diet had a reason- SO YOU DON'T SLIP!!!!

Needless to say, I'm freaking out!

How will I know if I get a slip??????

I read about acid reflex....

Any other signs???

And yes, as I stated I AM AWARE I messed up, you don't have to tell me!!

I had a moron day also (corn dog and mashed potatoes). I am sipping some tea waiting to vomit or for something to feel stuck and nothing. I feel the same as before surgery. I don't have my appt for a possible first fill until Feb 8th. Today was surely an emotional eating evening and I feel worse now because of it, where before I would at least feel better. Lesson learned. Not worth it. All the lectures aside, you are brave to admit what you did, and this should be a safe place for you to admit you effed up. I have learned that I am not ready yet to watch my daughter and her friends eat nachos at the bowling alley. I would have been better off if I would have just had one and savored it instead of coming home and having pity food. On top of that, my daughter told me that she is glad I had the surgery because one day one of her friends said "Look at that fat lady" and she had to say "that is my mom". I am crying just typing it. I never want her to go through that again, so take that corn dog! You tasted like crap anyway!!!

Uh.....Ok. YOU said it.

Let me see if I understand this. You went into surgery NOT KNOWING what you were having done?

Huh? How does THAT work?

In MOST "quality" surgical operations, the procedure being performed is verified with the patient in several steps. In my case, it was at the check in, and in the prep room by both the Surgeon and the Anesthesiologist . This to avoid a situation that you hear about every once in a while where a surgeon amputates the WRONG leg, for example. And he didn't EXPLAIN the differences between a Gastric Bypass and a Lap Band?

So, I'm gonna have to suppose that your surgeon is one of these guys who works out of a dune buggy at the foot of the Santa Monica Pier…or maybe shares space with a massage parlor in a strip mall, perhaps?

And...a Big Mac?.....Seriously....you Didn't. You Did? Ugh.:blink:

Unfortunately, this situation speaks to a LOT of issues. First, it points to the sometimes amazing lack of information provided to the patient by the Surgeon's Staff. There are some Bariatric groups that do an amazing job of preparing the patient for this process. Lots of pre-op information, coaching and classes, and spectacular post-surgical support, followup, and "cheerleading". This is CRUCIAL for the success of most WLS procedures.

BUT….there are many Surgeons who jump into this field for the quick and easy insurance money, and are not going to part with the time OR the money to set up such a program.

The other side of this coin is the patient. I am quite often astounded by what I read on this forum (and other forums) by patients who have had various types of weight loss surgery. The kinds of things they eat, their mindsets, the stuff they believe about their WLS, is often mind-boggling. It is no wonder that the Lap Band has such a low rate of success. The actions of the Patient has a HUGE amount to do with the Success of the Band, in situations where the Band was THE appropriate choice of surgeries. (Often it is not the right choice.)

Just about a year ago, a young woman on this forum asked why it was that Cotton candy went down so easily after WLS. I had the audacity to suggest to her that perhaps consuming pure sugar….let me repeat that: PURE SUGAR….might not be in her best interest after having weight loss surgery. The response from various members was astonishing. You would have thought I had just raped her baby and set fire to her kitten. It was kind of nasty. Not so muchfrom her, but various OTHER members of this forum! But…..not totally unexpected. Because so many people here do NOT "get it".

Incidentally, the young woman who had the cotton candy? She comes and goes on this forum. She made an appearance here recently, and commented that not only had she not lost any additional weight, she had PUT ON additional weight. Gee….ya think?

I say all of this not to berate the OP (ok, maybe just a little….) but to suggest to the OP and everyone else here who might be struggling that YOU play a vital role in the success of your Lap Band. If you are not continually doing the RIGHT things, and avoiding the WRONG things then you are going to FAIL at this, plain and simple. It is a fact that the Lap Band does NOT work for everyone. And it works in different ways for different people. And to varying degrees for people who it DOES work for. YOU have to work hard to make this thing work.

If you are not acting in a decidedly proactive manner, then will not succeed at this. The process does NOT start at the moment your band is installed. It starts WAY before that, when you do the research to ascertain what kind of WLS would be appropriate for you. It begins when you Make the DECISION to have WLS. From that point on you need to do everything in your power to make this the life-changing experience for you that it has been for many other people. And if you do not KNOW EXACTLY what you are getting into, then there is a problem on one or both ends.

You need to choose the RIGHT surgeon. (there are a LOT of greedy idiots out there playing with scalpels, waiting to soak up some of your hard-earned cash) You need to make sure that a first-class pre-surgery educational program is in place. You need to be sure that an excellent post-surgery support and follow-up program is available to you. You have to ask LOTS of questions of your support staff and the surgeon. You have to follow the surgeon's instructions to the LETTER. And if you do not get you results you want/need, then you have to look elsewhere for the information that will help you achieve the results you want.

For some people, this process is a nice, easy ride. They lose the weight, and go on living their lives. For others…not so much. It can be a disappointing adventure, full of frustration and heartache and no results to show for it. But YOU can play a role in how it will turn out for YOU.

And a HUGE part of the "success matrix" in this experience is understanding the fact that Pie-Holing a Big Mac is a BAD IDEA under ANY circumstances. If you didn't learn that prior to surgery, then you have some work to do.

Here is my suggestion to the OP: It would appear that you might have an idiot for a surgeon. If he did not give you anything more than a cursory gloss-over of what your responsibilities are in this process, then it is unlikely that he/she has much of a post-surgery support mechanism in place. So, I would suggest that you look for a new Doctor that SPECIALIZES in Bariatric Support. This does not necessarily mean a Surgical group, but a Physician who understands WLS and provides support for people who have had it. You don't find them all that frequently, and if there is not one in your area, then find a new WLS surgical group that will take you in as a post-surgical patient. SOME Groups will do that; others won't. If you can find one, GET INVOLVED. Ask questions. Go regularly to support meetings. Find out everything you can about this process, and make it work FOR YOU.

I'm sorry you had this experience. I don't think you have done any damage to your Band; you would probably know for certain if you did. It can be very unpleasant if you have done anything to change the positioning of the Lap Band.

NOTE: There is a thread on this forum that was begun about a Year and a half ago. It was closed for some reason, I think, but it was one the funniest threads I have ever seen on this forum. It has to do with the subject being discussed here, people who wonder why they have problems when they consume food that might not be considered a "good" choice. It is quite hysterical. If you search for "Seriously Curious" you will probably find it.

S.

Big Mac….Jeez.

Do you think perhaps your band is a little tight?

You seem a bit cranky... maybe your hungry?

TanksMama,

Like a few others have said, you probably didn't do any damage, however you might want to give your surgeons office a call and discuss it with them. Those of us that have had WLS obviously have had it for a reason. The one suggestion I would like to make, is to try to make sound decisions. Believe me, I love Wendy's Baconators and used to be able to put away two of them. But that's what helped me get to where I used to be at. There will always be temptation, but don't sabotage all the work you have already put into getting banded. The band will only do for you what you do for yourself. Best of luck in your journey!!!!!

John

I agree with a lot of the posts here. Though Spartan put it bluntly, maybe that's what you needed to hear despite your rebuttal towards him even though you started the thread calling yourself a moron. I'm not sure if you were looking for people to comfort/disagree with you or what you're seeking.

Threads like this really make me wonder just how much people look into the WLS they're getting and just how much information they recieve from their surgeon. You should have been well-informed of what the Lapband surgery consists of. Very odd to me that you seemed well..clueless about what you were having done.

While I doubt you've slipped your band or caused serious damage, you have interrupted the healing process of your stomach and you've basically admitted to resorting to old ways. I couldn't imagine getting a Big Mac down, fill or no fill. I'd really take some time to sit back and consider if you're truly looking to change. You're not just going to lose weight because you're eating less.

I'd call your surgeon and speak to him/her. Maybe he/she will be able to guide you and sit down and explain in detail what you should and shouldn't do while banded. Best of luck to you.