Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just Banded and Freakin Starving!!!!

I was just banded on 12/28/05---3 days ago and I have been hungry since the day after surgery. I drink my Protein Shakes, but nothing keeps my hunger down longer than 2 hours. I have been on full liquids as instructed since the surgery, but I want to cheat really bad. I really didn't expect to be this hungry after surgery- although part of it is probably just the fact that I am not ALLOWED to eat. Anyway- what is the shortest amount of time that someone has been allowed to move up to "mushies"-- (I am assuming mushies include some textures like noodles or something). I did lose 4 lbs since yesterday though- probably Water, but at least the scale is moving in the right direction.

Kelly

Guest Cowgirl

Hello,

I am in your shoes...... I was banded on 12-27 and I have been hungry but I also find ways to curb that. Some ideas for you would be to drink chicken broth and put 2 tablespoons of cream of mushroom in it. I find if you put it in a coffee mug and sip it, it is much better and does not allow as much air in. I drink 3 slim fast Optima with 15 gr Protein each and drink the broth to help me. So far I am fine.....stomach growling like a crazy lady but overall I am good. Try it.:confused:

Don't cheat! with hard food. If you are not feeling like the pure liquids are doing any good then move on to youghurts, even thicker yohgurts will feel more filling...I am not sure what sort of stuff you have in the US but I went pretty quickly to yoghurts with say a little bit of fruit in them (pre-mixed) or a natural youghurt with some tinned fruit and or even some museli (not too much as it will expand a bit), mashed potato (no butter but maybe milk just to make it thinner!) with say mushy peas and corn in it, Soup with a little bit of bread soaked in it (again not too much...just say half a slice and really soggy), THEN later in the week you could go to really soggy cereals like Weet-bix, or all bran, or porridge (oats)...extra care with these as they do expand but they are filling so you will feel less hungry. Also you might need to keep busy to take your mind off it...although if you are on here it might be hard ; )

thicker liquids. And your body needs real food - Protein shakes are great but they are not in and of themselves a complete Meal Replacement, your body needs carbs for energy too (in varying degrees depending on where you personally fall along the whole low carb diet thing).

I felt so much better when I just moved onto thicker liquids in a more traditional 3 meal 2 snack routine. I made good hearty Soups like lentil and vegetable - some Protein, carbs, Vitamins and minerals - blended down to an acceptable consitency which of course thickened over the 2 weeks. I gave up on the Protein Shakes, they didnt keep me feeling good. I included some V8, some prune juice, plenty of Water and a bit of tea and coffee and really didnt suffer the hungers, nor when I moved to mushies did I regain since it wasnt really a calorie jump at all, I just no longer blended so much what I was eating.

It wont hurt your weight loss either, you'll still be eating far less than what you were beforehand and it will keep coming off.

Drink lots of Water fruit 2 0 low sugar juice. Green tea(helps with hunger feel yourself up with liquids. Make some vegtable beef Soup puree it, chicken salad, refried Beans with cheese, potatoe soup stuff that will stick with you.Then a hour later have a protien drink you should not be hungry. I do have issues with head hunger just used to nibbling and I am breaking that habit.

I have lost almost 30lbs since December 1st. It is worth it. I can go to regular food after next week and I am sure I want to.This is not bad at all.

Good luck

Linda

The hunger pains were the worst after surgery, im 5 weeks banded and still when I do get hungry its such a crapy feeling, not the same as pre-banded hunger pains, not sure if anyone else has this same feeling/ but as far as the hunger goes i too posted on here pleading for suggestions, and it ended up that the protien shakes did work for me, along with some broth, like chicken and stars, Tomato Soup, applesauce, and Water, its almost constant hunger pains, i know, but it will stop just make sure you are drinking water and drinking the protien shakes!!

Don't cheat, I had runny rggs my second day out. I was allowed to go straight to muchies and I when right back to the hospital for a 3 days stint.

Stay on target - and enjoy the initial weight Loss.

Welcome to bandland.

Debby

Try getting won ton Soup (throw the wontons away) or egg drop (use only the brth). These Soups are thicker and seem to stick to the ribs longer.

I got really hooked on the packaged cheese soups (not canned). If I was really hungry I would add some mashed potatoes to make them a little thicker.

Do some searches here for things others have recomended. This is a common question. Good luck.....just remember thin feels better than anything tastes.

Oh Kelly, I was the exact same way, hungry from the time I woke up from surgery.

I had to do 2 weeks of Clear Liquids, then 1 week of thicker liquids, then the 4th week was mushies. When I was on thicker liquids I would suck on goldfish crackers... thats the only thing that kept me sane.

Please be careful and I know its very hard right now but you've come this far, don't mess it up. Stick to your diet and heal first. Mushies will come before you know it.

Like eveyone said here... drink your Water. Hugs.

Thanks so much for all of your suggestions-- It is so helpful talking to people that have been through the same experience.

Kelly

Also try blending the Protein Shakes with ice. It makes them thicker and will fool your body into believing it is getting real food. I also ate my broth with a spoon from a bowl, it helped me to think it was real food. I added a few instant potato flakes to my broth and that helped too. Most chinese take out places will make egg drop Soup without the eggs. It is a nice thick chicken broth and it really fills you up. I know it feels like forever but one day you will look back and this will all be a blur to you. I was banded July 28th of this year (Just hit the 5 month mark and I am am half way to goal) I can hardly remember my post-op diet. Seems like ages ago. It does get better. ~Mandy