Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 1/2 yrs post op - band not working anymore

Hello everyone. I am approx 2/12 years post op and having issues with my lap band. I did lose weight, not all but still happy with my results. Started slowly slipping into bad habits and eating a lot of slider foods. I only had 2 fills if I remember correctly and never went back due to hectic work schedule and thinking everything was okay. I was long, long overdue for a fill but had not made an appt yet. Fast forward to approx 1 month ago and all restriction is gone. Used to get full faster, couldn't eat a lot of different foods and breads were never tolerated well. NOW I can eat Everything and Anything as much as I want. I just had a barium swallow test and band is still in place and esophagus looked fine. I'm wondering why I had some restriction and now nothing. Any ideas or similar experiences would be really appreciated. Also Happy New Year to everyone in 2011.

Often times when you lose weight, you also lose fat in and around your stomach. Thus your restriction level needs to be readjusted as the fat "melts" away. The band isn't getting loser, you're just losing fat causing the the opening from pouch to the lower stomach to be wider. Also, a small amount of Fluid can "evaporate" over time. If its all the Fluid, thats a problem, but its not unusual for a small amount to exit, especially after 2.5 years.

And Im sure you've heard this, but even if the band somehow actually stopped working (totally possible, especially if there is a complication), you are of course in charge of your own food choices (Im not preaching, as I, as well as most others, struggle from time to time or for periods of time with food choices). Just friendly reminder :)

The thing I keep hearing is that we need to have adjustments every few months -- sounds like you need a fill to get things going again -- I'm sure you will do well again, we just need to get those fills and make sure we stick with wise food choices and Portion Control.< /p>

You cant get fills every couple of months if you do what happens when your band is completely full. You only need a fill when you stop losing weight or are not maintaining your goal weight, are excessively hungry, or start gaining. You dont need a fill ever couple of months that is insane thinking. On another note I dont think the band can actually stop working we just stop doing what we did in the beginning thats all. We fall off the wagon just like we did before the band and stray just like we did on other diets. It is our make up. You have to try to get back on track and not eat every and anything.

Well Kiddo, no way around it, you need to go in for regular fills until you get your restriction back. Hopefully it's not a leak that has caused you to lose restriction (really that's the most unlikely reason), but they can draw your current fill out to measure it to make sure the correct amount is still in there. Most likely you just lost a little bulk around the area and that is why you have no restriction. Not the band's fault. Fill it and it will work. If you are feeling restriction and having some success with your weight loss it will make you less likely to reach for slider foods because you will be feeling better about yourself. Right? The band can be fickle, some people need to be "topped off" at regular intervals even after reaching goal. I haven't needed a fill in over 8 months and am maintaining just fine. Feel free to contact me with questions.

Good luck on renewing your journey!

Hello everyone. I am approx 2/12 years post op and having issues with my lap band. I did lose weight, not all but still happy with my results. Started slowly slipping into bad habits and eating a lot of slider foods. I only had 2 fills if I remember correctly and never went back due to hectic work schedule and thinking everything was okay. I was long, long overdue for a fill but had not made an appt yet. Fast forward to approx 1 month ago and all restriction is gone. Used to get full faster, couldn't eat a lot of different foods and breads were never tolerated well. NOW I can eat Everything and Anything as much as I want. I just had a barium swallow test and band is still in place and esophagus looked fine. I'm wondering why I had some restriction and now nothing. Any ideas or similar experiences would be really appreciated. Also Happy New Year to everyone in 2011.

Not to be an alarmist, or scare you. But if it keeps up you might want to ask for a endoscopy. This is one of the main symptoms of an erosion. I had a CT and barium swallow that both showed my band as fine. No slip, no issues. Had to have a endoscopy due to extreme pain and delayed emptying of stomach. Turns out I have an erosion. Having my band removed next week. :cryin:

I had surgery 4 years ago and everything seemed to be going well. I got a revision 2 years later due to a slip of the band, and now the band doesn't work...and now I randomly pass out. I have gained about 80 percent of the weight back. When i try to get an appointment at the doctor, conveniently they aren't available. I have read every nutrition book and even tried to work with a trainer for 6 months and no help. I also get fills that only last 2 days and then back to the same result. I also had multiple xrays to prove the band hadn't slipped and no leakage due to the amount of cc's in the band. It makes me wonder just what happened in my surgery that is now making me pass out. I just want to be well... the exact reason i had a weight loss surgery in the first place.