Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

for those that have lost ALOT of weight, what are you going to do about the extra skin?

i was just wondering of those that have lost ALOT of weight (100 lbs or more) what are you planning on doing with the extra skin if you have it? at first i was told that my insurance would cover skin removal, but now i am reading that most insurances do not cover that as iti s considered cosmetic not medically necessary. i am just starting the process, but this is a concern of mine, i carry my weight in my belly area, and of course "the GIRLS" have been heading south for quite a few years they are already defalted balloons, cant imagine if i am down 100 pounds what they will look like then.

thanks for taking the time to answer and congrats on your weight loss

I made a consult appointment with a plastic surgeon today. I'm hoping for a mini Tummy Tuck and a good bra for the time being. I lift weights and do everything humanly possible to minimize the skin thing. PArticularly if you've had a few children, it's pretty hard to avoid. Small price to pay! I wouldn't even think about it at this point.

I lost 107 pounds and have had plastic surgery. I had a Tummy Tuck and breast augmentation. I am thrilled with the results. I did have a complication with Fluid retention- had to be opened back up. However, I would do it again in a heartbeat. Next is a face lift and bat wings lol. I don't believe there is excersise that helps with extra skin, the skin has lost it's elactisity. Wait and see what you are dealing with once you loose the weight. Then find a good surgeon lol.

at first i was told that my insurance would cover skin removal, but now i am reading that most insurances do not cover that as iti s considered cosmetic not medically necessary.

Hi grmadeb01,

Congrats on your surgery. I hope all goes well for you. One thing I have done is every time I go in to see my doctor (band doc or just general physician), I point out to them any problems my loose skin is causing, even very minor things. I then ask them to please make note of the problems in my files. By the time I get to goal weight, I should have enough notes to more than justify the medical necessity of getting rid of this skin. I have had regular and very annoying complications such as yeast infections, heat-related rashes, and just plain old discomfort and difficulty with exercise, etc. So yeah, anytime you go in, let your docs know and get them to keep a written record. Did your insurance pay for your band? That's always a good sign regarding the removal of loose skin afterward.

Best of Luck, Wen

P.S. To be honest, even though my loose skin has caused issues, I don't think I'll be doing anything about it. I'm allergic to opiates, and the surgery just looks way too intense and painful. I think I'd rather just stay mushy. :) But, like I said, I'm keeping good records just in case I change my mind.

I'm just starting, but I plan to at least get my arms done. My stomach and boobs will be horrible I'm sure, but they can be covered with Spanx and a good bra. BUT my Dad just told me he would pay for me to get the loose skin removed. Best dad EVER!!! lol :D

For now I waer Spanx, whuch works wonders! But I'm saving for plastic surgery. I also work out and recently started strength training to help tone everything thats underneath my loose skin. My plan is to get a full TT, breast augmentation (possible lift), and Lipo for a few problem areas. Thankfully, my arms, legs, and back have been good to me... Good luck to you and the rest of us!!!!!!!!!!

God Bless,

Rebecca

I have lost 110 pounds so far and have another 10 to go. I've been going back and forth on this idea as well though. I also am a HUGE Spanx fan (actually Leggs makes a shaper that is a heck of a lot more affordable and works just as well). A good bra and the shaper and with clothes on I'm pretty happy. Without the clothes (bathing suit etc).... not so much. I definately would like to do something with "the girls" and a Tummy Tuck (I heard that the pain on the TT is AWFUL). I also was told that the tummy tuck would be covered by Aetna, but I'm sure they would push back when the time actually came if I wanted to get it done. My hubby discourages any type of plastic surgery (he says loves me anyway, wrinkley and all ... which makes the idea of getting anything done, even more difficult). Congrats to everyone who has done so well! In my wildest dreams I never thought I would have this problem, so on that level I'm really thankful that the band has worked so well that I even need to consider plastic surgery.

I have to say I'm on the fence. When I had my band surgery, there was a woman in my room who'd just had work done on her torso (belly, boobs, etc.). I couldn't help overhearing her docs postop plans which involved months of special restrictions...I think 5-6 months. That, along with some very recent reminders from the death of two friends (one from band surgery) who died of 'complications of surgery' (blood clots), one younger than me by 6 years and I'm not sure my wrinkles are bothering me enough to go through another surgery.

Then again I have close to another 100 pounds to go and I'm already dealing with folds of skin at the backs of up upper thighs, knees...and let's not forget the belly and boobs, so I may change my mind. At that point it may be more than just 'cosmetic'.

Like a previous poster, I'm just making sure I have the doctor document all the problems I'm having with my skin as a result of the loose skin...just in case.

I was only banded on 12/27...... so I have a long way to go and have no idea if I'm gong to consider plastic surgery.

However, back in 2006, I had a breast reduction.... because their size caused health issues, it was covered by my insurance and my only out of pocket cost was the $500 deductible. I'm am SOOOOOOO HAPPY with the results...and that is one part of my body that I know is going to look great once I lose this weight.

So ... those that are concerned about the "girls" should check it out with your insurance companies to see if they will cover a reduction.

I have lost 92 pounds with 10-15 left to lose. I don't plan on getting plastic surgery of any kind. Firstly I could never afford it and secondly I have seen the scars from tummy tucks and body lifts, etc and in my honest opinion would bother me more than my little bit of saggy skin. I have two children that stretched my stomach out but it has actually bounced back pretty well. And I am 37 so I won't end up looking 20 again with surgery anyway. Lol.

At first, I wasn't planning on any body plastic surgery after all the weight comes off. But now that it's getting closer, I am seriously reconsidering.

I think I would be OK if my stomach was uniformly flabby/wrinkly, but it's not. Where my port is, the skin sharply pulls in, creating this sort of divot that makes the rest of the skin/fat on the upper part of my abdomen all uneven and lumpy. So yeah, I really want it gone, and a TT looks like it will be the only way to do so.

I was already planning on a neck lift, but losing weight has only stepped up the timeline on something that I would have done regardless. It just means I won't have to do Lipo in combination with the lift. Women in my family get jowly early (fat or thin), and I want an actual jawline. ;)

No arms, thighs, butt, or back for me. I'm on the fence about my boobs. I was thinking just lift and reduce whatever is left after I'm at goal, but it seems that most surgeons won't do that without implants. I'm not overall all that keen on that idea, and my spouse is definitely not in favor of artificial boobs. LOL

I have lost almost 150 and have no plans to have PS. I am simply thrilled that the skin is no longer filled with fat. I look fine in clothes am not one to worry about how I look in a bathing suit (after all I did wear one in public at 330 lbs). I wear three quarter or longer sleeves and longer skirts and shorts and am fine with the way I look and feel.

My surgeons office does skin tightening with a laser. I wouldn't really go for this BUT I have a tiny friend who had twins and had it done on her tummy area. She was beyond thrilled with the results. She actually teaches aerobics and tried everything but the laser treatment worked.

If you are considering plastic surgery read this:

3 years ago I had a Tummy Tuck w/liposuction. That is a brutal invasive surgery (including Lipo post op) and a tough recovery BUT thrilled with results. If you keep your weight off you will be happy for life. If not, your weight will redistribute to other parts of your abdomen first before repopulating where you had the tummy tuck. Strange I know. Also It is expensive :(

I am just starting my journey, though I am already 80lbs lighter than my highest weight. I have a feeling my skin is not going to be good, my thigh area seems a bit loose already. I am not sure weather I'd do a Tummy Tuck or not, but my boobs have pointed down for as long as I can remember and I have always said when I lose weight I'd have them done.