Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was just told that I can start on solid foods, but I still only can eat 1/2 cup of food per meal. Can someone please help me with this. I cant seem to get my mind around this. How can I eat a 1/2 cup of salad? etc.. Please keep in mind, I have not received my first fill yet. Help!:blink:

that would cause be a bit of difficulty also. i am almost three weeks post op still on soft food and am just now able to get to a 1/2 cup. I was thinking about a salad also. i dont know if i could digest the lettuce yet. so i told my husband if and when we start going out to dinner again i will have a high Protein salad. (no lettuce) i know i did not help but a great question to think on and search for an alternative.:D

I was just told that I can start on solid foods, but I still only can eat 1/2 cup of food per meal. Can someone please help me with this. I cant seem to get my mind around this. How can I eat a 1/2 cup of salad?etc.. Please keep in mind, I have not received my first fill yet. Help!:blink:

salad may not be the best choice for you, just starting on solids. My surgeon stresses to eat HIGH Protein as this biggest part of your meal and to eat it first. I am only allowed 1/2 cup as well. Even before my first fill, 1/2 of chicken salad, tuna salad, etc actually filled me up (for a while). I didn't try lettuce for a while and didn't have problems with it, but my surgeon says save veggies for last and to just eat a small portion of them. Protein has to be the majority to stay full and keep muscle. Solid Proteins should stay in the pouch longer and keep you from being hungry longer than salad will. Also, I'm learning that we can no longer look for feeling full so much. It's more about not being hungry. I can't even say satisfied, because many times I just want to eat more. But you should no longer be hungry after 1/2 cup. You can do it!

Good Luck!!

What other foods are you eating? 1/2 a cup of food is not satisfying me. My stomach growls so bad it hurts...

Congratulations on your weight loss.

quote name='hokiemama' timestamp='1294347528' post='1555893']

salad may not be the best choice for you, just starting on solids. My surgeon stresses to eat HIGH Protein as this biggest part of your meal and to eat it first. I am only allowed 1/2 cup as well. Even before my first fill, 1/2 of chicken salad, tuna salad, etc actually filled me up (for a while). I didn't try lettuce for a while and didn't have problems with it, but my surgeon says save veggies for last and to just eat a small portion of them. Protein has to be the majority to stay full and keep muscle. Solid Proteins should stay in the pouch longer and keep you from being hungry longer than salad will. Also, I'm learning that we can no longer look for feeling full so much. It's more about not being hungry. I can't even say satisfied, because many times I just want to eat more. But you should no longer be hungry after 1/2 cup. You can do it!

Good Luck!!

i agree, salad might not be the best choice in meals so early out.

you should be eating as much Protein as you can... eggs, cheese, chicken, Beans.

I'm not quite sure how these doctors expect an adult to get enough nutrients in 1/2 cup of food...let alone assuage the hunger that you will inevitably have to deal with. I was fortunate enough to have a surgeon who also has a band so had personal experience in living with it.

If you can do it...more power to you, I guess...but if you can't, then the next best thing is to eat a reasonable, balanced meal...3-4 oz of Protein, 1/2 cup vegies and 1/4 cup starches (if you're still hungry). If you find you're still hungry between meals because you aren't at your sweet spot, then eat a hard boiled egg, or an ounce of cheese, or some other type of Protein. Even a low carb low cal Protein shake is better than dropping into bad food habits.

Bottom line - you need to make this work for you.

Thank you for the responses. They are very helpful.. I have until the 26th before I get my first fill. I hope I can make it..:o)

I'm not quite sure how these doctors expect an adult to get enough nutrients in 1/2 cup of food...let alone assuage the hunger that you will inevitably have to deal with. I was fortunate enough to have a surgeon who also has a band so had personal experience in living with it.

If you can do it...more power to you, I guess...but if you can't, then the next best thing is to eat a reasonable, balanced meal...3-4 oz of Protein, 1/2 cup vegies and 1/4 cup starches (if you're still hungry). If you find you're still hungry between meals because you aren't at your sweet spot, then eat a hard boiled egg, or an ounce of cheese, or some other type of Protein. Even a low carb low cal protein shake is better than dropping into bad food habits.

Bottom line - you need to make this work for you.

I was just told that I can start on solid foods, but I still only can eat 1/2 cup of food per meal. Can someone please help me with this. I cant seem to get my mind around this. How can I eat a 1/2 cup of salad? etc.. Please keep in mind, I have not received my first fill yet. Help!:blink:

Don't bother with salad right now. Eat 1/2 cup of tuna, chicken, meat, scrambled eggs, egg salad made with light mayo, Beans etc. I've been at 1/2 cup for the past three weeks. It's easy when you get the hang of it.

I also agree with the salad part..well at least the lettuce. I changed my whole outlook on life once I was banded. I didn't go on a diet I had a lifestyle change. I started being more creative in my thinking on how I cooked (yep, started cooking instead of eating out or eating take out) and what I actually ate. Everyone thinks that well know we "can't" eat this or never eat that...well my goal was to make sure I never felt like I was lacking or craving something. I am one of those eaters that does feel totally satisfied on 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup max on most meals..it does depend on what it is...soups are generally 3/4-1 cup but most other things are 1/2 to 3/4 cup. I do eat 5 times a day.

To me I think most of us used to eat large salads thinking how healthy it was but in reality it really didn't give us much but a lot of lettuce (for the most part). Now a salad to me is tomatoes and cucumbers with Ken's greek Salad Dressing. Sometimes I don't eat this during either lunch or dinner..I eat it as a snack.< /p>

I still have a pizza craving..well I don't eat bread..not that it gets stuck..it just fills me up too fast and I can't get enough Protein in. Well I found a fabulous recipe for Pizza Soup. It is fabulous, made in a crock pot. I have even found another recipe that uses mashed potatoes as a base..I haven't tried it so I can't say what It tastes like but you make it like a pizza..so it is next on the list to try. So if I eat one slice..I will be full.

A normal chicken plate for me...chicken cordon blue, mashed potatoes and green beans...2 oz of chicken, 1/4 cup of mashed potatoes and 2 tablespoons of green Beans.< /p>

Another thing is to stop eating when you feel satisfied not when you feel full..that might help. It is an adjustment. I guess I lucked out due to I get the hickups and that identifies that I am full.

I wish you the very best!!

I have a question, IF you feel you are at your sweet spot are you eating around 1c total (Protein + vegs/carbs)?

I know everyone is different but just curious if there is a standard here. If you can eat 2c, you probably aren't at the spot, right?

Just curious :unsure:

I was told the same thing, but I didn't really follow it until I got closer to restriction. Now since I am tighter, I can only eat about 1/4 - 1/2 cup. It gets easier. Just hang in there, and I wouldn't worry too much if you don't eat 1/2 cup. JMO.

I have to agree with ElfiePoo. And even though my surgeon isn't banded (as far as I know... he's never said he was) he recommends almost the same program.. 3oz Protein & 1/2 cup veggies. He doesn't suggest the grains/starches, but I doubt he would have a problem with them as long as they didn't stall my weight loss or make me want more carbs.

As to "making this work for you", I'll share my own experience. Even though the doc said 3oz Protein, 1/2 cup veggies.. I was SMO (super morbidly obese) at the beginning of this journey and I just could not get by on 3oz. I ate 4oz of protein for a few months until I was comfortable with only eating 3. And guess what.. I still lost really well. I was losing at almost 4lbs a week at the beginning. So fast that I had to almost beg for my first fill.

Once I went in for an appointment and told the nurse I had had 1/2 cup of chicken salad for lunch, but that it didn't hold me. She said 1/2 cup is more for RNY (bypass) .. that as a bandster, I should be eating closer to a cup.

As always, YMMV. Just some things to consider.

I have a question, IF you feel you are at your sweet spot are you eating around 1c total (Protein + vegs/carbs)?

I know everyone is different but just curious if there is a standard here. If you can eat 2c, you probably aren't at the spot, right?

I can only eat about 1/4 - 1/2 cup of food per meal. Sometimes maybe 3/4 cup at supper.

I am a very boring lunch person (I work from home and don't do a lot of cooking. For Lunch I take Romaine lettuce leaves (3) line the spine with chicken breast, spread low fat laughing cow cheese, squeeze on mustard. Basically makeing a wrap with the lettuce instead of bread. I have a veggie on the side.

It's not about how much you can or can't eat. It's whether or not you're hungry after a reasonable meal. I'm at my sweet spot (no hunger for about 4 hours after a meal) and, if I wanted, I could still eat half a pizza. That shift in thinking from the band restricting the amount I eat to the band eliminating hunger is what finally led me to successfully losing weight again...slowly, but losing.