Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It is good to hear that I am not the only one itching, but I am not sure that I can relate with your story. My rash is all over....not just my stomach which rules out the tape, elastic etc. My rash is on my face, complete arms, complete legs, complete stomach, complete back, neck, chin etc. Does anyone know what would cause that kind of rash. They are very small red bumps and is very dry.

Thanks,

Lisa

I have been having the same issue with itching all over . At present the rash is confined to my face arms and the creases in the back of my legs.I believe it is the liquid lortab they gave me for pain.

You should really go to a dermatologist....today! They wil be able to do a small scrapping of the rash itself and be able to give you an idea if its an allergic reaction to something our if its something completely different. Winter is so hard on the skin and I have seen a ton of rages pop up over the winter months. Keep us posted!

(btw I am an esthetician and massage therapist and I work in a dermatologists office)

As a pharmacist I can tell you that it was absolutely something you ingested. Of course I have no idea which medicine/food/etc. it might have been but I can tell you to keep taking and antihistamine. They make a claritin melt tab and a zyrtec melt tab both of these should last 12 hours where the benadryl only lasts 4-6 hours and causes more drowsiness. An antihistamine can also dry your up a bit so make sure you are getting your Water. Also try not to take really hot showers or get overly hot for the next few days becuase heat can bring out the itchiness and rash more. You can also use small amounts of 1% hydrocortisone cream on the really itchy rashy areas it will reduce the rash and slightly reduce the itch.

Hope this helps. If the rash is not completely gone in 10 days you need to seek further medical advice.

Good luck

As a pharmacist I can tell you that it was absolutely something you ingested. Of course I have no idea which medicine/food/etc. it might have been but I can tell you to keep taking and antihistamine. They make a claritin melt tab and a zyrtec melt tab both of these should last 12 hours where the benadryl only lasts 4-6 hours and causes more drowsiness. An antihistamine can also dry your up a bit so make sure you are getting your Water. Also try not to take really hot showers or get overly hot for the next few days becuase heat can bring out the itchiness and rash more. You can also use small amounts of 1% hydrocortisone cream on the really itchy rashy areas it will reduce the rash and slightly reduce the itch.

Hope this helps. If the rash is not completely gone in 10 days you need to seek further medical advice.

Good luck

Thank you so much for the advice. I will go and get the Claritin today because the benadryl is really making me very sleepy. I have noticed that my rash is drying up a bit and my face looks like it is beginning to dry and peel. I still have swelling under the eyes but I am hoping as the rash begins to disappear, so will that. I did talk with the Doc again today and he thinks it was the antibiotic they gave me before surgery. Thank you so much for your advice. My biggest fear is that it is the lap band. Do you think the lap band could be causing this?

I doubt very much the lapband is causing your rash. I agree it is probably an allergic reaction to the antibiotic they gave you. Sounds pretty bad- I would go to a dermatologist for sure. they will probably prescribe an oral steroid or a much stronger cream than the 1% cortizone you can get over the counter. I have had many skin problems (including several allergic reactions) so I sympathize greatly. Hope it clears up soon!

I just went to the Dr for this same issue yesterday. I was banded on 12/29 and started getting a rash about 4-5 days out. I was told I must have been alergic to the Iodine Prep they used before surgery. It makes sense since that is the only area i have my rash. Its all over my torso, breasts and wraps around the sides of my back. I was advised to take Benadryl but I hate how i feel when i take it so i am just dealing. Its been 7 days since surgery and its SLOWLY going away. But bumpy and dry for sure. Tiny little bumps. Almost feels like goosbumps when you run your hand over it. Hope you feel better!

I also am on day 3 of an itchy rash all over my body. A friend of mine (who is a nurse) and I have a theory that mine is due to stress from the surgery and having pneumonia post op. The only other time I had hives like this was when I had my baby (29 yrs) ago. My friend felt that both times my immune system was stressed after giving birth and having surgery. My band surgery was on 12/20 so the doctor I saw in the ER yesterday feels it is not the anesthesia, the antibiotic for the pneumonia or the pain meds because it is too far out from these and they would be out of my system by now. I feel the anesthetic takes longer but who knows. I was given benadryl, prednisone and vistaril in the ER. Last night was the worst, I could not sleep because of the itching. Today the rash is lighter and I am itching the most on my breasts and abdomen. I agree with most of the posters to do the benadryl, and cortisone cream. If my rash is not gone by next week, I am going to see my primary physician. Good luck and I hope you stop itching soon.

I also am on day 3 of an itchy rash all over my body. A friend of mine (who is a nurse) and I have a theory that mine is due to stress from the surgery and having pneumonia post op. The only other time I had hives like this was when I had my baby (29 yrs) ago. My friend felt that both times my immune system was stressed after giving birth and having surgery. My band surgery was on 12/20 so the doctor I saw in the ER yesterday feels it is not the anesthesia, the antibiotic for the pneumonia or the pain meds because it is too far out from these and they would be out of my system by now. I feel the anesthetic takes longer but who knows. I was given benadryl, prednisone and vistaril in the ER. Last night was the worst, I could not sleep because of the itching. Today the rash is lighter and I am itching the most on my breasts and abdomen. I agree with most of the posters to do the benadryl, and cortisone cream. If my rash is not gone by next week, I am going to see my primary physician. Good luck and I hope you stop itching soon.

OMG! The same thing is happening to me! I am 2 weeks post op. At my stitch removal at the surgeon's she wasn't happy with the pink/puffiness at each incision site so she prescribed liquid penicillin (amoxicillin clavulanate potassium600/5 ml suspension. Surgeon thought it was an allergic reaction to the glue used to hold each incision tight. I took 2 teaspoons yesterday and 1 today. By 5 p.m. the whole back of my head (under my hair) was covered with large bumps about the size of pimples- hard itchy bumps. There was one on my abdomen and 2 on my chin. The doctor on call thought it was an allergic reaction to the penicillin - said to stop immediately- take 2 benadryl then, 2 more at bedtime, and also in morning. It's now 12:58 a.m., having awakened with multiple weals and welts now spread on abdomen, under breasts, and torso. It is so itchy and awful! My daughter developed something like this after having her c-section 20 months ago- similar to PUPS but not. She had to undergo several rounds of steroids to get it to stop. This is devastating- I am supposed to go back to work for the first time in a few hours! Hopefully I can make an emergency doctor appointment for right after school with the pc or dermatologist! I am devastated!

Update to my previous post:

Ended up in the ER this morning. Even 4 benadryl tabs did not prevent my hives from going all over my torso, head, neck, back and down 1 arm. My eyelids were swollen shut this morning due to a large welt on each EYELID! Itching driving me frantic, scratching here there and everywhere. An absolute NIGHTMARE! So I call my ex hubby to come and drive me to the ER since I could not open my eyes! Got to ER around 6:15 a.m., got pumped full of steroids, benadryl, another inhibitor, etc. Itching calmed down, feeling better. At the beginning, after they struggled to open an IV, my ex all of a sudden felt faint (he had been watching them try and retry to start it), and he passes out in the ER. So they call a code blue type of thing, revive him, give him an EKG, chest xray, etc- he's fine! It was so funny- we were in adjoining beds in the ER. Thank God he's ok. I guess he still faints at the sight of blood! And he's an athlete, a marathon runner, in perfect health. So now the ER doc prescribes 3 days of prednisone, and a different antibiotic, which I buy. Then the surgeon's office calls me and says under no circumstances should I take steroids since it will compromise my immune system and the internal incisions won't heal- if they tear internally you can actually die from internal bleeding. So good bye steroids. Hello Cipro (another different antibiotic.) Gotta be one of the worst days of my life. Hopefully I'll finally be back at work tomorrow!