Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Foods you eat/don't eat?

I'm almost at my one-year bandiversary!

I am happily surprised that I really consider my food options to be wide open. I don't often think about *what* I'm going to eat in public (though, nachos are a pretty safe bet for me when out with friends and family), but rather HOW I'm going to eat it, keeping in mind to take small bites and chew, chew, chew! However, there are a few foods that I hardly ever eat. Either the caloric cost is not worth it to me, or they have given me problems more than once. I don't count a food out after a one-time incident; it's gotta be a repeat offender for me to nix it.

I don't eat generally most bread or bready foods. That's mostly because I am working so hard to lose weight, and I can live without bread. :) I don't eat pancakes (Ugh. Just thinking about eating pancakes makes my throat close up!) and most of the time, don't eat toast. I haven't eaten broccoli since I've been banded and I'm almost scared to try. I am at 7.5 ccs in my 10 cc band, and have pretty good restriction, I must say. I still eat rice and Pasta, just in small amounts. My husband is Puerto Rican, and so there is always rice around! :) I love my scrambled egg whites with cheese and turkey sausage! MMM! I eat that a lot.

What are your nixed foods (for either a weight-loss reason or a band-passage reason) and what foods are always a safe bet for you? I've got 10 weeks until my birthday, and I'm trying to live my rules very closely, so I can have some results to be proud of in the next 10 weeks! It's amazing, even with the act of eating now taking a lot of thought (as far as what will go down, how to eat, etc.), how little I actually think about food. I love my band. :)

OMG thanks so much for posting this!! Finally someone my height im a litte bigger than you my highest is 208 and im on day 2 of preop and down to 203!! I'm scheduled to get banded 1/11. The info you put on here is great information on eating after getting banded I look forward to seeing your progress Congratulations on what you have done so far. you have really given me the motivation I needed to get through the pre-op diet phase. Quick question if you don't mind me asking I am so worried about excess skin I am 34 and I have a trainer that said she would help me do excersises to help but I am not so sure. Please let me know It helps to see someone on here close to my profile.

Thanks,

**best of luck to you you are on your way to your goal!!

I'm almost at my one-year bandiversary!

I am happily surprised that I really consider my food options to be wide open. I don't often think about *what* I'm going to eat in public (though, nachos are a pretty safe bet for me when out with friends and family), but rather HOW I'm going to eat it, keeping in mind to take small bites and chew, chew, chew! However, there are a few foods that I hardly ever eat. Either the caloric cost is not worth it to me, or they have given me problems more than once. I don't count a food out after a one-time incident; it's gotta be a repeat offender for me to nix it.

I don't eat generally most bread or bready foods. That's mostly because I am working so hard to lose weight, and I can live without bread. :) I don't eat pancakes (Ugh. Just thinking about eating pancakes makes my throat close up!) and most of the time, don't eat toast. I haven't eaten broccoli since I've been banded and I'm almost scared to try. I am at 7.5 ccs in my 10 cc band, and have pretty good restriction, I must say. I still eat rice and Pasta, just in small amounts. My husband is Puerto Rican, and so there is always rice around! :) I love my scrambled egg whites with cheese and turkey sausage! MMM! I eat that a lot.

What are your nixed foods (for either a weight-loss reason or a band-passage reason) and what foods are always a safe bet for you? I've got 10 weeks until my birthday, and I'm trying to live my rules very closely, so I can have some results to be proud of in the next 10 weeks! It's amazing, even with the act of eating now taking a lot of thought (as far as what will go down, how to eat, etc.), how little I actually think about food. I love my band. :)

I can not eat pork, as in pulled, roasted or chops. Just won't work. I have shied away from bread and been stuck a few times after the temptation was too great at a restaurant.

Oddly, steak has always gone down well. When out I tend to get quesadillas. (Getting sick of them) or a side salad and baked potato. They are my eat out "treat" as I can not have in the house or I will make them all the time.

My new fave is mashed cauliflower. I buy steamers and run them through food processor. Yesterday I threw in FF cheddar and some real bacon bits and garlic. Like a "loaded" potato. It was awesome. I can get 3 servings from one bag.

I can do eggs, cheese and deli meats well too.

Baked chicken has started to become a problem, which stinks. I may need a slight unfill.

I am still new at all this and learning.....but I haven't had bread since pre-op. This has a lot to do with the effects on overall weight loss mixed with some fear of getting stuck.

I have eaten Pasta...although a small amount. I can still eat chicken and pork tenderloin but I am finding that I need to really have it moist--I haven't gotten stuck yet, but it definitely feels different if it isn't moist.

My standby is eggs. It is my quick fix when I don't know what else to make.

I haven't tried rice. I am avoiding most carbs due to the effects on weight loss.

I am about 100 lbs down in 6months or so.....here's what I eat....

Protein shakes (eas choc, add 1/2 banana, scoop peanut butter)

cottage cheese w/sea salt soy crisps (hood full fat chive..yum!)

salads

I make homemade chili about every other week

eggs

cheeses (I keep babybels around for the hungries)

nuts (planters nut trition pre portioned packs)

I love roasting edamame, and chick peas...very addictive!

I avoid pastas and breads (unless I am frying my eggs in arnolds high Protein slice, runny yoke)

primarily protein and veg....not very much red meat

I love this website....(go to the bottom and click home for more recipes) and this particular recipe is good...I use ground turkey and extra spinach...

hang in there!!

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/burger_scramble_florentine.html

I am very tight so I avoid bread, rice, Pasta, and all kinds of snack. (can't do crackers or pretzels)

Also, I can't eat eggs. Don't know why but I am guaranteed to puke if I try. Some days, things go down well, other days I am guaranteed to be sick. For me, this is like being on a roller coaster but I keep trying.

I enjoy soups--hearty Soups like those on http://www.bariatriceating.com/BEhealthnutrition/recipes.php

I love her recipes and the Caribbean Sausage Soup is the bomb!! I have made that every week for the past month! Also, I enjoy the split pea and again have made that one a week for the past month.

Lastly, I have cookbooks like "Eating Well after Weight Loss Surgery". Most of the food in the book is very moist so it goes down well.

I can not eat breads, Pasta, cinnamon kills my guts and so does even the slightest piece of chocolate.< /p>

I do well with most meats except for steak, I do well with Beans and chili has been a big fan of mine. I also have to drink Protein Shakes for Breakfast cause nothing is passing in this band in the morning. It doesnt open enough until around 11 and I only have 2cc in there. Not crazy anymore about eggs. I love cottage cheese and sugar free pudding. I will never eat frosted mini wheats ever ever again that stuck worse than anything and omg the pain I couldnt wait to get it down. I dont do cake, or muffins either. If I want pizza I just eat the topping and not the bread.< /p>

I am very tight so I avoid bread, rice, Pasta, and all kinds of snack. (can't do crackers or pretzels)

Also, I can't eat eggs. Don't know why but I am guaranteed to puke if I try. Some days, things go down well, other days I am guaranteed to be sick. For me, this is like being on a roller coaster but I keep trying.

I enjoy soups--hearty Soups like those on http://www.bariatric...ion/recipes.php

I love her recipes and the Caribbean Sausage Soup is the bomb!! I have made that every week for the past month! Also, I enjoy the split pea and again have made that one a week for the past month.

Lastly, I have cookbooks like "Eating Well after Weight Loss Surgery". Most of the food in the book is very moist so it goes down well.

sounds like you need an unfill?? I mean, most of us avoid breads, etc, but if you are eating mostly soft foods, then you need an unfill....you should be able to eat solid hard Proteins and not get stuck... you dont want to risk slippage or erosion!

OMG thanks so much for posting this!! Finally someone my height im a litte bigger than you my highest is 208 and im on day 2 of preop and down to 203!! I'm scheduled to get banded 1/11. The info you put on here is great information on eating after getting banded I look forward to seeing your progress Congratulations on what you have done so far. you have really given me the motivation I needed to get through the pre-op diet phase. Quick question if you don't mind me asking I am so worried about excess skin I am 34 and I have a trainer that said she would help me do excersises to help but I am not so sure. Please let me know It helps to see someone on here close to my profile.

Thanks,

**best of luck to you you are on your way to your goal!!

I too am happy to see a couple of people that are close to my profile. I was 208 lbs. at my first appointment. I had surgery on August 17th and currently weigh 175. I can't believe what a difference these 33 pounds have made!

I have had three fills so far. I stay away from bread but do have toast occassionally, but I eat an organic flaxseed toast that is high in Protein and Fiber. Pasta is absolutely something that I cannot tolerate. I actually haven't missed it either. The more you stay away from carbs, the less you miss them. I do not crave or desire them at all. For some reason, it is much more difficult for me to eat in the morning and in the afternoon, but I do fine at dinner. I drink Protein shakes and homeade Soups (bean Soup for protein!)during the difficult times and eat a salad with some sort of Protein on top at night. Chili is something I enjoy too. This may not sound appetizing to you, but I also make put tuna in a maranara sauce, which I really like. I enjoy cottage cheese and if I am in the mood for something sweet I will add a little sugar free vanilla coffee Creamer to cottage cheese and it makes a tasty treat.

My best to you. Let us know if we can help in any way. Enjoy the journey!

I guess I got lucky because I can still do bread (just save it for last or only eat one slice). I cannot eat scrambled eggs. No matter how much i chew, they still get stuck. I can do them over east tho (because of the yoke). I can do chicken breast if its baked in Water or a lowfat cream Soup on top (like cream of celery) but sometimes grilled gets stuck if its too dry.Ive only had one fill of 5cc's and have pretty good restriction, but I still have to stop cheating (i've only been banded for not quite 2 months, so Im still learning). I really want this to work, so Ive got the stuff to go back on track with this.

One of my very favorite food is meatballs, take some mushroom Soup, breadcrumbs, egg, and hamburger. They are mega band friendly, and I eat them for breakfast too.....naver have been an egg or Cereal girl.

I like to make casseroles, stews, Soups, tacos, anything as long as it is balanced. I just eat sooo much less now than before and I exercise for at least 30-60 minutes everyday!

As far as bread, I use sandwhich thins(multi-grain)....and Pasta I can't eat in front of the T.V. because I have to focus on chewing all the pasta up or I'm like a mama bird regurgitating to her fledgling...hahahahhahaha If I pb my dog looks longingly at me (I bet she would just love it)! You know dogs always eat their barf anyway!

If anyone wants my mushroom meatball recipe just respond to this and let me know, you will not be disapointed!

I did so enjoy this thread....night peeps!

By the time I hit 6cc back in May, there were so many things I could no longer eat - bread, chicken, eggs...

After an unfill in July (I was up to 8.75cc) back down to 6cc, within a week I found it interesting that I no longer had a problem with any food but the hunger is controlled and that's where I'm at now.

I can eat anything, and as much of it as I 'want' but I choose to limit my calories to 1200 and I'm avoiding wheat and sugar products because both set off obsessional cravings.

The only thing I can think of that I absolutely cannot eat is big, thick bread--so that rules out things like subs for me. Sometimes all bread gives me trouble, but often I can have some flatbread, nibbles of crusty bread at a restaurant, thin-crust pizza, or some well-toasted bread with a small sandwich. Pork is sometimes hard, but I've never had a problem with steak. eggs can be tricky sometimes. Something funny is that I have never successfully eaten a normal meal from one of my husband's favorite restaurants--if it is anything other than Soup, my band clamps shut and I PB--don't know why, as the food there isn't much different than at others. But overall, I can eat almost everything--just not always whenever I want it! My band is kind of "moody," so if I'm tight I don't try anything I know may be a problem.

my go to foods when eating out are grilled chicken (no bread) with a baked potato, quesadilla, nachos or chicken fingers. luckily all my friends know about my band and we all share appetizers or they let me eat off their plates lol

i can't eat most breads... including pizza. i can handle the crust of one piece and the toppings from two pieces.

i also can't eat any ground meat which has been just as rough as no bread!