Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HONEST-Post Op Diet Success

Hey just wanted to know how you all have been doing with the post op diet? Has everyone been able to stick to the restrictions, b/c I haven't and I'm feeling like the black sheep of the forum b/c everyone else seems to be mastering it, at least those who share! I think it is important, to share ALL info, both great and not so good news, just to help those coming along!

Anyway, I feel great about my progress so far, but just wanted to start this thread, b/c as I shared before, I initially had issues and was feeling like such a loser. Some of the feedback helped, but some had me feeling like I was going to Lapband Hell =). So I look forward to EVERYBODY'S responses and stories!!!!!

Side-note, I was able to sleep on my belly last night, for the first time!!!!!!!!!!! I am now 8 days post- op and I cooked a black bean and soy meat Soup last (pureed) but it was DE-LI-CIOUS! HIt me up, if you would like the recipe!!!

We are surgery date buddies. 12/27/2010.

I've been on liquids mostly so far, but could you some guidance moving into soft. Will have more advice as I move on.

I know right, it's just like you gotta kind of find your way and it's a bit scary!!!!! How much longer are you on liquids? This is my second week and I am now in the "thicker" liquid phase, so it's not too bad!

We are surgery date buddies. 12/27/2010.

I've been on liquids mostly so far, but could you some guidance moving into soft. Will have more advice as I move on.

Yeah, I got beat up on here when I talked honestly about my slip-ups and asked for help with motivation. (I got some positive support also). It does seem like so many people on here are able to stick to the rules almost perfectly.....however, I am not as good. I really want to stick to it and I do try, but it is a totally new way of living for me (us). I never stopped when "satisfied" and always had to feel like I was about to pop before I stopped eating. THAT was what full felt like to me. Now, to feel full in my chest is really weird and doesn't feel as satisfying. It's hard to get used to. We are trying to break habits that have been there for years and years. There's a lot of behavior modification that has to take place at the same time and we are all not going to be perfect right away. I think it's a learning process and I try to look at myself compared to MYSELF pre-surgery. I compare how much I used to eat to what I am eating now. It's MUCH less. I know my weight would be dropping much faster if I followed the rules very strictly. But we are all different and this is a journey that we have to figure out along the way. Good Luck. Do the best you can. You will succeed!!

I'm doing pretty well. I'm getting a little carried away with my portion sizes since I went in to more solid food because I don't have restriction yet. So this week, I'm making sure to measure my food and write down the calories. I'm not hungry at all, but it's hard to feel satisfied. I didn't lose any weight this week, so I'm kicking it up, and make sure I exercise (I know I should just be patient because it's only been 3 weeks). It's just taking some getting used to, but overall I feel it's pretty easy to stick to.

But by no means am I going crazy. I feel like I have a good handle on things. I'm not eating junk, no Pasta, barely any bread. I'm not hungry, I don't really feel like I'm missing anything. Yes, it's less food, but I'm not craving junk food, or soda, I'm perfectly happy with what I can eat.

The hardest thing for me is keeping a schedule and not grazing. I used to just eat because I wanted food. Didn't have anything to do with hunger.

Honestly, I tried my hardest to adhere the the 4 week post-op liquid diet during all the parties and food events of December but honestly I didn't make it. I put myself on purees within three weeks and I ate real food including meat on the 21st, the 24th and 25th. Now that I've had my first fill and officially have been advanced off of liquid I went straight to a regular diet, albeit I eat much less of it. I do eat pureed cauliflower but only because I like it. I've experienced two stuck episodes, one involving bread and the other Peanut Butter. Everyday I learn something new and I agree, we aren't going to undo years of bad habits overnight. I've lost 40 lbs including my pre-op, I've dropped into a size 16 jean. This is life long and it's going to take a while to get things right between my head and my body's actual needs. Good luck to you and everyone! And hang in there.

Cheryl

243/203/160

Surgery date Nov 30, 2010

I've had one shrimp, about three tablespoons of rice, black eyed peas and cabbage on NY and about 5 Cheeto Puffs!!! In comparison to pre op eating habits, this is a freaking Miracle!!!!!

To be honest: I am starting to have a hard time with the soft mushy food stage. I am hungry all of the time> My stomach growls that it hurts! I am starting to crave foods that are not good for me, (so far, so good havent eaten them), however for New Years I ate a little more than the 1/2 cup per meal. What can I do to stop all of the cravings until I get my first fill. I think I have 2 more weeks before I get my first fill.. So I know how you feel. I am not getting on a scale scared I havent lost but I have noticed a difference in my clothes.

I've had one shrimp, about three tablespoons of rice, black eyed peas and cabbage on NY and about 5 Cheeto Puffs!!! In comparison to pre op eating habits, this is a freaking Miracle!!!!!

I've been following my surgeons orders to the letter but I think the fear of pain or messing something up is my motivator! On Wednesday, I see my surgeon and I suspect she will advance me. I currently eat 3-4 1/2c meals per day plus 1-2 Protein Shakes and one sugar free popsicle. My calorie intake has not exceeded 600 since I had surgery. I don't think it is helping with weight loss though. I can't wait to find out how to increase my calories and still eat three healthy meals.

I have been on full liquids since my surgery on the 29th. I'm too afraid to stray from the list my surgeon gave me, fearing I'll cause a problem. However, I am getting so sick and tired of broth, Jello, yogurt, pudding and Protein Shakes. The thought of having to go another week and a half on this diet makes me crazy!

Don't let other people discourage you - everyone is on the same journey, but we have different paths...so it doesn't always look exactly the same. Like some folks never touch pop again - and others of us (ME) drink one daily and I don't feel bad about that choice. (no matter how many folks lecture about what they have heard...yadda yadda) I guess you just have to find a balance that works for you - take some folks' advice and leave the others....just like when you have a newborn baby - EVERYONE has their own idea of what works best and I found the best thing was to delve through everything I was told and find my own way. B)

I don't remember a whole lot about my post op timeframe --- as when I had surgery I had a 6 week old baby at home....so when I got home from surgery it was busy busy! I DO remember that I drank my shakes daily and the days I didn't get enough Protein in I was exhausted and grumpy, but if I managed to get enough Protein in I felt better...the more I walked (like at the mall -nothing strenous) the better I felt. I liked those chicken noodle at hand things by campbells as they had the itty bitty star noodles - so I knew it wouldn't get stuck....it helped me to start getting solids in. I wasn't focused on weight loss at ALL the first 6 weeks post op as my doc said to heal heal heal -and your body needs calories and rest to heal. I don't think I lost anything those first 6 weeks as my body was thrown into a whole new world --and I was completely OK with that. Once I started getting my fills and experimenting with foods I started to loose steadily....so I was happy with that. Truly "Bandster Hell" -the limbo before you find good restriction - is probably the most frustrating thing about this journey....but know that if you hang in there and keep trucking you will do fine in the long run! It is a race - not a sprint. :D Meanwhile - we are all here to encourage one another and give each other ideas!

Sorry if I rambled a bit....LOL

Kim

@JAMILLAH E Still be careful. Yes, at this time you CAN eat food, but follow the plan. Sure, maybe my purees ended up being not as pureed as they should be, but I didn't go eating full, hard food. I think you have to figure out what works for you... but you don't want to slip into your old ways. You are only a few days post op. I took those weeks as training for my new diet.

@CheckYes I'm scared to screw it up too, I don't want to get sick.

I have been on full liquids since my surgery on the 29th. I'm too afraid to stray from the list my surgeon gave me, fearing I'll cause a problem. However, I am getting so sick and tired of broth, Jello, yogurt, pudding and Protein shakes. The thought of having to go another week and a half on this diet makes me crazy!

Hi . . . I was also banded on the 29th and have not even advanced off of Clear Liquids. The yogurt and pudding comes next week and I can't wait. My doctor is strict, but he's so successful that I don't want to vary from what he says. I'm terrified of sticking episodes and I hate to vomit. That's probably why I'm not straying at all. Good luck!

I am 6 months post op. At first I followed the "plan" pretty close because I was worried about something going wrong. I don't understand the people who say they have NO restriction. I have always had some restriction, I saw the band before they put it in, in my surgeons office and it is only about 1 1/2" in diameter so I would think everyone has some restriction, the fullness may not have lasted till the next meal but since I have had the surgery I have never been able to even come close to eating what I ate before, I call that restriction? If you are eating "mushies" after you are past the mushie stage, you are going to be able to eat a lot more. I try to follow the "plan" for the most part, but I do eat things I shouldn't eat once in a while. I now have 5.2 cc in my band and it has made a world of difference in what i can eat and the quantity, but if i make the wrong choices... I can eat way more than a cup of food. I don't beat myself up when i snitch something I souldn't, i just get up the next day and move forward. I have so far been pretty successful. My clinic uses the term "mindful eating" a lot and I have to say I really need to think about what I'm eating but even more importantly, why I am eating! It is not always easy to recognize when you are "full" or should I say when you "are not hungry" Good Luck to you, it's a great journey, I'm enjoying every minute of it!

Right, i'm still full with less, but not full enough to be satisfied I guess. I don't understand the "i'm starving" because I personally am not. I feel like i have to police myself. Which is hard to learn.