Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I survived band removal surgery...

Guest ASPHALT ANGEL

Glad to see you are feeling better. Have been thinking of you alot lately.

what have I missed? Lisa you were eroded? oh my, I have been away way to long....fill me in..............give me a update, please

Thanks everyone :P Francesca, I tried calling you but got a wrong number. Most of you know that Francesca and I were banded at the same time, in the same hopsital. She had Ortiz, I had Lopez (they used to be partners but work separately now.) Now here we both are, unbanded.

Today's the first day I'm starting to feel somewhat human again. That was a hell-of-a rough ride. I honestly don't think I could ever face another WLS again. Today's the first time food sounds/looks/smells good. I'm finding myself fighting the urge to eat since I'm not hungry, just and old habit.

I have the best restriction in the whole world (probably due to swelling.) I was only able to eat 1/4 can of blended Soup and 2 oz cottage cheese befoer feeling too full, but the best part is that I don't get any horrible band PB feelings or misery, just wonderful fullness with no agony. If only it would last!

So I'm up and about, and I plan to go back to work Thursday, maybe even tomorrow. I tore apart the sick bed and washed all the blankets and cleaned house a little, so it looks like I'll be back on my feet really soon.

Thanks everyone for standing by my side through all this. I'm not one to lie or sugar coat, but the band removal experience was probably the worst thing I've ever been through. Then again, I'm the weirdo because everyone else seemed to come out okay.

Francesca, I GOTTA get into that cute green skirt & sweater you gave me. I just gotta! Billy said I can have 1200 calories a day, so today I'm trying to count. Good luck to all of us for a lighter 2006.

I am glad you are through the worst of it... Keep your head strong....

Hi DeLarla and everyone!

DeLarla, so glad you are feeling better!!!!!

I have been unbanded now for over a month (I stopped counting...) and I am sooooooooooooooooooo hungry all the time now. *sigh* This sucks. With the band I didn't feel hungry - now I am starving even after eating. I now understand how people gain back all the weight lost if unbanded - it's not just about new eating habits, it's about feeling hungry ALL the time. :):D:(;)

Also, I wanted to add - DeLarla, I am so sorry you had such a hard time with your band removal surgery. But just so that others don't panic if they have to have their bands removed... for me the removal surgery was super easy. I got back to my room at 8pm at the hospital, and I was up and walking 2 hours after. The next morning by 10am I walked around the mall (next to the hospital) for at least an hour and went shopping (got my kids some stuff at ToysRUs...couldn't resist...) :) :) I never took anything more than Tylonol the day after surgery, and then nothing. (I am not writing this to make you feel bad, just writing it so others don't worry!!!!)

xoxoxo

DeLarla-

Your posts have been really educational, and I feel like I've been going through this alongside you. For whatever it's worth, I've been seeing Dr. Billy too (was banded by someone else) and your posts validate that he knows what he's doing. I can't tell you how much better this makes me feel.

I'm really hoping I don't have erosion. My only symptom is that my fills aren't working and I can eat everything in sight. And I'm hungry a lot, which was the point of going thru all that surgery in the first place, wasn't it??? I've put on 10 lbs. just like that, and I know I'm capable of putting all 80 back on if I'm not really, really careful.

Question: Why do you think your removal was worse than your "installation"? Should the removal be easier for the surgeon?

You are a pioneer. Thanks for the information and we're all pulling for you.

JD

Banded January 2003

Dr. Katkhouda, USC University Hospital

237/150/164 (yikes!)

I think I have some alien condition that gets me sicker than most people during surgery. I was up walking within an hour of my initial banding surgery, while others waited till the next day to get up. Maybe I'm allergic to anesthesia or something, but I always get so sick. I never had bad "pain" when I was banded, but I stayed sick and just felt super gross for 2 full weeks. I also woke up from band installation grabbing my throat gasping for air and ended up with a bronchial cold during recovery. The same exact thing happened during this removal. I still have a low fever even a week later.

Penni had her band removed and was pretty out-of-it as well, yet Tizag went shopping? All I can say is, WOW. My pain was too intense to get out of bed, and they didn't even remove the cathetar till the next day so my surgeon aparantly didn't expect to see me up. Tizag, did you have holes in your stomach that needed to be repaired? I did, so maybe that's the difference?

As far as removal being easier for the doctor, I'm not so sure. I know that Billy described the unbanding process as an art. He said some people never get the hang of chopstix, so some doctors never get the gift of using laproscopic tools, I suppose.

Ti, why did you have your band removed? As far as your constant hunger, my doc gave me a stearn lecture on eating the right kind of food to keep you full between meals. It's true that we sleep about 8 hours straight without starving to death, so I'm just trying to make it from Breakfast to lunch, but right now I have enough swelling that I feel tight and full after a cup of food. If you eat Protein without carbs, it's supposed to keep you full longer.

JD, tell Billy if you see Billy, tell him I'll arm wrestle him next time I'm there! He's a hardass and doesn't take any excuses when it comes to overeating, so I should put a pic of his face lecturing me on the fridge. I just finished my 400 calorie Protein lunch. Woof. I'm glad you're seeing him. He's not very sympathetic, but he's the best surgeon I know, and he knows what he's talking about.

I heard from Penni you had a rough ride little girlie! :0( So sorry to hear about the fever & stuff. BUT very happy to see things are smoothing out for you now. Stay strong & soak up that sunshine. I am glad to hear your out of the woods.