Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm not getting post-op support and I have questions

I was banded on Dec. 29th, just three days ago. I'm confused because the hospital nurse told me my stomach is still the same size as it was before the surgery and that it wouldn't be restricted until the Dr. filled it 5-6 weeks from now. This was never mentioned and I never read it in all the lit I studied. Now I'm home, feeling pretty good, but when I eat ( full iguid diet) I do get full after I eat. whey do I feel full if my stomach is the same size? I'm only eatng around 680 calories a day since I've been home. No one ever told me how many calories I'm supposed to aim for each day. 680 doesn't seem healthy. I lost 10 lbs on the pre-surgery Protein shake diet, but the next morning after I came home from surgery, I had gained it all back. The next morning I gained 3 more lbs. This morning I lost 2 lbs., but I'm still over the weight I'd lost before the surgery. How can this happen if I'm only on full liquids, 680 calories per day? I've tried to call the Dr. , but no one answers my messages. I'd like to know how many calories I should be trying to get a day, how much Protein a day and some after surgery support. I was so positive before the surgery, now I feel anxious and a little depressed.

Leigh

Don't worry about the right gain...its from asl the fluids they pump you with and the narcotics. As far as the amt of calories I wad taking in about 500 or do the weeks I was on Clear Liquids and full liquids. You wil start loading again soon enough....this I'd a time to heal! As far as the stomach being the same size....every one is different on how the stomach reacts to getting banded. I felt restriction right from the beginning....i only have about 3ccs in my 10cc band. Yiu also have selling around the band so it will make you feel more restriction.

Goodluck! You can pm me if you have any more questions!

I was also banded on the 29th and I am feeling the same thing you are. I have tried to keep sipping on Water and at 12:00 I am to sip on some Soup. I feel like it is all in my throat. I am going to wait a couple of hours and see if it subsides a bit. Not to concerned tho. Make sure you are taking your Vitamins. That at least will help you some.

Tina

What you're feeling right now is a false restriction, caused by stomach swelling from the band placement. In a few days your stomach will calm down, the swelling will go away, and you won't feel as much restriction. So when you eat or drink, you will notice you aren't feeling full as quickly. That's all normal. The performance of the band comes later. The calories you're eating right now are also less important. RIght now your task is to heal up from the surgery.

Banding isn't instant, nor is it automatic. It takes time to get your system tuned up to best performance with the band you have. It will all come in time. For now, keep doing as you've been instructed. Over the next several weeks things will change, and you'll find you have a new "normal."

Good luck!

Dave

Hi!

I've learned a lot from reading different posts on this website and have also learned that everyones journey can be so different from anothers. In my opinion, you're stomach may be swollen and is in healing mode from surgery and that is why you may not be hungry. This is also why we need to be on a liquid/mushy diet after surgery to allow ourselves to heal. I too, was only taking in 500-700 calories a day during this period but it's only for a short time. As far as restriction is concerned, I was banded on Nov. 24th and after about 2 weeks I was wondering if the band was even in me as I was so hungry! Lol! But after I moved to solid foods I knew things were different. I have had NO fills, lost over 20lbs, and can feel that there is some restriction albeit not super tight. This is just the band by itself. My Dr told me that if I keep losing weight at this pace I won't have to have a fill. I KNOW there is restriction because if I eat too fast or too big of bites it HURTS! I think this is what banders refer to as being 'stuck'?

Congratulaions on your journey! This is a great place to help answer questions and gain support. Hang in there and know you are not alone!

Dave summed it up perfectly. The most important job that you have right now is to heal. Your food intake will increase as you heal. The important thing to remember is not to overdo it. I could tolerate all foods until I was about 5 months out and had reached restriction. Now I have to be really careful of what I eat because I can get stuck if I break the rules. It's something that we all have to learn for ourselves. I saw my doctor thgis week and he told me that I'm right on track with my weight loss. He also told me that I should look into getting some new clothes because the ones that I was wearing were falling off. Your doctor should be ashamed for not returning your calls. I use a full care practice and they are available 27/7/365. They actually get mad if you don't call if you are having a problem. Hang in there. You're just starting off on your journey. Try to remain optimistic and keep coming here because there's lots of gret people that will help get you through the rough spots.

Thanks so much, everyone. I'm in tears because of all the responses and your support. I will be less anxious now! I'm wondering if I am "Stuck" from trying to get to much in me. Does this feel like your whole stomach area is sore? Even when I breathe, it hurts. I will try to take smaller sips and be more careful now. Thanks again! I'm so glad I found this site!

Leigh

Thanks so much, everyone. I'm in tears because of all the responses and your support. I will be less anxious now! I'm wondering if I am "Stuck" from trying to get to much in me. Does this feel like your whole stomach area is sore? Even when I breathe, it hurts. I will try to take smaller sips and be more careful now. Thanks again! I'm so glad I found this site!

Leigh

Yes! Small sips are important. And soreness when you breathe, I have that too, but it's important to breathe as deep as we can and move as much as we can to reduce the risk of developing pneumonia. I don't know if you had to consult with a nutritionist before your surgery, I did. Mine gave me a very detailed breakdown of each post-op time frame and how to eat for those days. I even have sheets broken down by the hour so I can record what I ate in order to keep track. Honestly, I have been finding that an hour goes really fast.

You're doing great! focus on healing, try warm fluids and keep away from cold ones. The warmth will assist in keeping the stomach from being irritated. Try to get your fluids in as prescribed by your surgeon's office, and watch your Protein intake to make sure that you get enough Protein. Your stomach is still the same size with a very major difference and that is the band has now made a slightly narrower opening and you have a small pouch on top of the band that will hold small amounts of food and let it slowly empty down into the stomach for processing. The slow emptying will give you some sense of fullness especially Proteins.

When your physician/surgeon's office opens up...I would ask them who or what number do you call after hours or on holidays. Someone should be available to you when you need them.

Good luck!

I had mine on 12/28. I work in healthcare so I have more experience than others although I am not a clinician. What everyone is saying is correct. This is a time to heal so dont focus on weight loss at this point. Just let your stomach heal. Dont drink thru a straw and dont drink anything that is cold as this causes gas pains too. Take lots of deep breathes even if they hurt alot and try to cough softly too. Take walks..move..move...move. Just like before you had surgery, gas pains have to be moved out of your body to feel better and moving around will help that. Just drink as much Water as you can for now and dont worry about Protein or calories. It will be hard to take in Protein just 3 days out of surgery. Day 4 will be alot better.

Hang in there

Love

mslove, beg to differ with you on the straw statement.....my Dr. had me on a straw-diet up until I got my first fill, also protien is important from the get go....80 grams a day....by the way peeps, it also helps to keep you satiated,,,start a journal, and write everything down, what, when, time.

Expect to eat every two hours when your in your liqued and mushie stage, just be sure to write down calorie amounts...at the end of the day total up, then do yourself a favor and google calorie calculator, it takes your weight, age, etc. and can guesstimate how many calories per day you need to loose two pounds per week....mine was 2000, but I rarely go over 1400....and i walk/jog 30-60 min a day, every day!

Don't subtract your exercise calories from your daily total! Drink lots of Water, and take your vitamins.....WHA-LA, that's how easy it is.