Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Almost 2 Years, No Weight Loss

Hi Everyone! I'm not giving up on this surgery yet, but it really hasn't been good for me.

This is my journey...

The day of my surgery I was about 239. That was February 2009.

Over the next couple of months, I had 2 fills. I lost no weight.

Summer 2009 I went completely vegan and trained for an 8k marathon which I completed in December 2009 - ran the entire thing in a little over an hour! At that point I got down to 219. I feel it was completely because of eating vegan and running - not the surgery.

In January 2010, I had to have my gall bladder removed due to having complications. My doctor suggested I go back to eating lean meats, and due to the surgery I temporarily reduced my jogging. I went back up to 229.

In the last few months, I've had 2 more fills. I believe I'm at approximately 7.0 cc.

Now this is the kicker: If I eat fast, I throw up, but if I eat slow and chew, I CAN EAT ENDLESSLY AND WHATEVER I WANT AS IF I HAD NEVER EVEN HAD THE SURGERY! I don't understand how this surgery is supposed to work! Even though I watch what I eat and I am an avid jogger, if I can basically eat, get hungry, and never get full the way I did before the surgery, then what's the purpose? I've spent about $2500 out of pocket on this thing for what feels like nothing. Today I weigh 228.

What do I do????????

Hi Everyone! I'm not giving up on this surgery yet, but it really hasn't been good for me.

This is my journey...

Summer 2009 I went completely vegan and trained for an 8k marathon which I completed in December 2009 - ran the entire thing in a little over an hour! At that point I got down to 219. I feel it was completely because of eating vegan and running - not the surgery.

In January 2010, I had to have my gall bladder removed due to having complications. My doctor suggested I go back to eating lean meats, and due to the surgery I temporarily reduced my jogging. I went back up to 229.

In the last few months, I've had 2 more fills. I believe I'm at approximately 7.0 cc.

Now this is the kicker: If I eat fast, I throw up, but if I eat slow and chew, I CAN EAT ENDLESSLY AND WHATEVER I WANT AS IF I HAD NEVER EVEN HAD THE SURGERY! I don't understand how this surgery is supposed to work! Even though I watch what I eat and I am an avid jogger, if I can basically eat, get hungry, and never get full the way I did before the surgery, then what's the purpose? I've spent about $2500 out of pocket on this thing for what feels like nothing. Today I weigh 228.

What do I do????????

eat less!!!! its not complicated

Wow, that wasn't very supportive. Unfortunantley, I was just banded so I don't have any experience to share with you. Have you talked to your doctor or maybe saw a nutritionalist?

This is my journey...

What do I do????????

Nadine, I can imagine how frustrated you must be. I certainly would be if it were me. I am a slow loser but have not had your issues, nor have I exercised as much as you have. I do, however, have a suggestion. There are a couple of posters on this forum that have not had the "normal" response to the band. They are very literate and articulate about how they have managed to lose weight with the band not working for them the same as it works for most. One of the posters is "Elfiepoo" (not sure if I have spelled it correctly), she explains how she had to do all the work (just like you) to lose 100 lbs because the band was not working for her. Eventually, she decided to have the band removed and have a different WLS. Well, when they took the Fluid out of her band she learned that the band HAD in fact been helping her by keeping her appetite at bay much more than she imagined. Look on this forum for some of her posts. She explains how when the band is properly filled it presses on the vegas nerve which inhibits the ghrelin hormone that stimulates hunger (trust me, I'm no rocket scientist so I don't understand the particulars). She thought that the band wasn't doing anything for her -- that is, until she had the Fluid removed from her band. Once the fluid was removed her ravenous hunger came back. My point is, she learned that the band works differently for different people and we have to figure out how to make it works for us. Another wonderful poster is BetsyB. BestyB is a marvel! She learned that she cannot lose weight unless she severely cuts her carbs AND only eats about 800 calories a day. She lost more than 100 lbs in less than a year. What the band did for her was to keep her hunger at bay (if I understand her posts correctly) and enabled her to live comfortably on 800 calories. She has phenomenal self discipline. Check out some of her posts as well. Both these women have worked the band in different ways to suit their needs, and they have both had great success. For me, physical hunger was never my problem, head hunger was, and is, my nemesis. I started therapy with an obesity therapist 8 months before surgery, and I continue to see her to this day. I didn't often get physically hungry BEFORE surgery and even more rarely after surgery. I now know when I need to eat because I begin to lose energy. I almost never (and I mean this) have hunger pangs. This morning when I came back from my walk (can't run, back surgery 2004), a trip to Walmart, and the grocery store I realized that it was time to have Breakfast, so I put away the groceries and went to my room, signed on to my computer and then remember again that I should eat Breakfast. So, you see, hunger is not my problem. My problem is totally mental. So, with the help of my therapist AND my band, when I want to eat emotionally I have 1) tools that my therapist gave me tools to combat the need to eat to become calm, happy, comforted, etc.; and 2) because I have the band, even if I cannot find the "strength" to pick up a "tool" to combat the urge, my restriction keeps me from going overboard and having to start from square one again and again.

I think that the essence of what I am trying to convey is that perhaps you will have to use your band in a non-traditional manner. One that suits you personally. It really sounds like you have all the tools to get the job done (i.e., exercise, ability to change your diet, perseverance, etc.). All that is left to do is to tailor your life to make the band work for you.

One last thing, there are many that will tell you that "the band is not for everyone". I cannot disagree. I am sure this is true. But, before you give up on the band perhaps you can tailor it to "Nadine.Carr.Phd. "

All the best to you!

Happy Holidays!

~F

eat less!!!! its not complicated

If that's all there is to it, then why didn't YOU just do that and skip the surgery?

When the band works as it is promoted you should reach the point, with your surgeon's help, of being able to eat a small amount of healthy food that will keep you satisfied (not hungry) for several hours.

But there are a lot of dirty little secrets about the band that the seminars, doctors and rah, rah, cheerleaders won't tell you:

1) the band does not work for everyone

2) not everyone can get to their sweet spot

3) you may have permanent left shoulder pain

4) your surgeon might not be very knowledgable about follow up care and how the band works.

5) you might get conflicting advice about what to eat from your surgeon and nutritionist

6) many who lose rely on being so tight they cannot eat and endure reflux, heartburn, vomiting, etc.. to do so (unwilling to get an unfill for fear of gaining weight)

You need to discuss all this with your surgeon. And don't allow yourself to be blamed. Too many surgeons blame the victim when it is their job to help you achieve success as long as you: eat healthy foods, exercise, and chew.

You really should start keeping a food journal that tracks your calories and nutrients like Protein and Calcium and sodium. Then see a dietician or nutritionist that are specialized in bariatric patients. They can look at your foods and tell you what may be happening to cause you not to lose weight. Even if insurance doesn't cover this, I would definitely go at least 2-3 times to figure this all out. Shouldnt cost more than $50-100 per visit. A lot of hospitals will have dieticians on staff, if you have trouble finding one.

If you are eating 1000-1200 cals daily, getting good Protein and Calcium and exercising like you do, I can't understand why you wouldn't be losing unless there is another underlying medical condition. You don't mention what you typically eat, just that you can "eat anything and as much as you want if you eat slowly." My band has no fill yet and already I have restriction. If I start to go past about 1.5cups of food at a meal, I get a feeling in my upper chest thats hard to describe, but it says "if you eat another bite you WILL NOT be as happy as you are right now." When I feel that I signal, even though my head wants to keep eating, I stop and leave the table and begin cleanup. After about 5min, the head hunger is gone and I'm very satisfied. The band doesn't do it all by itself, it only allows you to feel satisfied after smaller portions of food. You still have to feed yourself with good nutrition that helps with satiety, not the same bad foods that have gotten us all in this situation.

I would have to think that with your level of exercise you may be eating too little and your body is reacting as if it were starving?

What size is your band? If it is a 10cc, I doubt you have 7cc in it. Are you sure there is 7ccs? Did they take out all the Fluid when you had your last fill? I have heard of bandsters who think they have a lot of fill and somehow the port was missed or the tube has a leak.

The reason I think you may not have that much is because I have a 10cc band with 5.3cc of fill. I can not eat much at all and do not exercise. I do not track calories or anything else. 100 pounds dropped off in the first year. Restriction has been key for me.

I really think you need to go have them check to see just how much Fluid you have in your band. If you have a 14cc maybe you need another fill. Maybe a 14cc was too large for you?

I say eat less as that is the key - I am 3 months out from banding and I am down 58 lbs with 32 to go which I will lose in next 10 weeks, I have little or no restriction other than the mental restriction that is making me do this, I have had two fills and next one on jan 11th which I hope will give me more restriction, I dont exercise much and eat about 1200 - 1500 cals a day - I was at 800 - 1000 a day for first two months, I have to be focused everyday to achieve my goal, unless your mind is set on the task 100 per cent then i feel this wont work for anyone - I cant believe all the people on here who could never diet but then get there minds set on dieting and then do great - most addicts cant diet for more than a few ays without cheating but we all want he chance to be thinner an fitter and we manage the pre op diet, then we set off on the journey to restriction - i think it is a great journey that we all go on here, but the people who come on here an say they are eating 800 cals and not losing are lying to themselves less calories in verses more calories used makes you lose weight and thats a fact!!

I say eat less as that is the key - I am 3 months out from banding and I am down 58 lbs with 32 to go which I will lose in next 10 weeks, I have little or no restriction other than the mental restriction that is making me do this, I have had two fills and next one on jan 11th which I hope will give me more restriction, I dont exercise much and eat about 1200 - 1500 cals a day - I was at 800 - 1000 a day for first two months, I have to be focused everyday to achieve my goal, unless your mind is set on the task 100 per cent then i feel this wont work for anyone - I cant believe all the people on here who could never diet but then get there minds set on dieting and then do great - most addicts cant diet for more than a few ays without cheating but we all want he chance to be thinner an fitter and we manage the pre op diet, then we set off on the journey to restriction - i think it is a great journey that we all go on here, but the people who come on here an say they are eating 800 cals and not losing are lying to themselves less calories in verses more calories used makes you lose weight and thats a fact!!

If eating less is the key and you have little or no restriction then you should have been able to lose all your weight without the band. I guess you just didn't have the willpower. You say you will lose the 32 pounds in the next 10 weeks. Maybe. Maybe not. It's one thing to be confident. It's another to be smug. And the band isn't supposed to require some major mental exercise. If someone was able to overcome their eating with willpower alone, they wouldn't need the band. And to do it without exercise is also not healthy or recommended.

The band is supposed to keep you feeling satisfied with small amounts of food thus allowing you to eat less and lose weight. Calories in is important, but some people's calories out is low/slow despite exercising. They just have a slow metabolism.

It's just so wonderful that you have been so successful. But I have been on here long enough to know that the honeymoon often comes to an abrupt halt. I sure hope that doesn't happen to you.

I would suggest food journaling for a couple of weeks then consulting with a nutritionist. I think if you are journaling everything then you can get an idea of what nutrients you might be missing and where you might have overages.

Best wishes!

drsmossy, congratulations! I am very happy for your success. I'm not as "focused" as you ... but I continue to lose weight at an acceptable rate for "me". That said ... we have heard the "calories in v. calories out" before and while life seems very black and white when it comes to food and weight, I have learned here on these forums that it's just not so. There are numerous intelligent people on this forum that have had extreme difficulty losing weight no matter what they tried. Some found "their" niche and discovered how to make the band work for them. It was neither simple nor black and white. Your theory is very logical, but if you continue to read these forums you will find that weight loss is complicated and personal. I will direct you to a search the topic " Dr says my calorie count cant be right Grrrrr". You will gain some interesting insight. After you have been on these forums for a while you can tell when a person is lying. The people responding to the topic I suggest are truthful and quite enlightening.

All the best to you on your journey.

I ditto Hummingbird...double check how much you actually have in your band. I have a 10cc band and only have 5ccs in it..I can barely eat 1/2 cup per meal. I also lost 127 lbs in 11 months with no problems. I attacked it as a lifestyle change. I am not a vegan that is for sure so I can't help in that aspect. I cook 95% of all of our meals..I eat almost everything..light on the pasta..no breads (only because they fill me up too fast and I don't get enough protein). I do eat what I want so I satisfy the craving before it takes control of me. Maybe logging your foods may be good for you..sometimes that paints a picture that you can see until you write it out. I get a ton of recipes on www.sparkrecipes.com My form of exercise is swimming. My doctor believes walking or swimming is the best form of exercise...it really worked for me. I went from a 3X to a size 5 and loving life. I wish you the very best. Oh, finally the most important aspect..a positive attitude..couldn't have done it without that!! Anytime during this past year if I felt negative..that dirty little scale would go the other way..so I made a deal with myself and said NO NEGATIVITY and it actually worked!! Take care, take it one day at a time!!

Thank you all for those of you who have motivational constructive advice. "Eat Less" is simplistic and not constructive. I had a gastric bypass friend say the exact same thing to another overweight friend of ours awhile ago when my GB friend was at her lowest weight. The GB friend has since gained almost all her weight back. It clearly isn't that simple.

I think I will try to do a series of things including seeing a nutritionist and journaling what I eat again. I've done these things before, but I'm going to have to try it again, just differently. And I'm gonna keep trying. And keep trying. I do indeed feel hunger pangs similar from before the surgery. Perhaps they aren't that bad, and I am mentally making them as bad as before. I'm not really sure, so I've been thinking and perhaps I'll start a hunger pangs scale where I include my physical and emotional state as a factors.

Also, I'm not sure if I wanna live a life eating 800 calories forever - when I tried that after my 2nd fill, I felt like I was starving myself! But I can do a minimum of 1100-1300, that is plausible with some meditation and discipline. It's rough being a jogger and getting too low in calories. Perhaps I might even need to reduce the jogging a bit. Currently, my diet follows the standard food pyramid and I eat about 2000 calories a day because I'm essentially eating as if I had never had the surgery, so I'll try to eat as if I do have restriction. I just hope the sensation of fullness starts to genuinely kick in at some point!

I am certain that I am at 7cc. In fact after my 3rd fill, I charted it down at 6.6cc, so I might actually be more than 7cc since my 4th. But I will keep trying. I'm determined to not have wasted all this time and money. I'll keep trying and trying.

Thank you all for your words of encouragement!!! This is a journey and like many others in my life, it's a bumpy one! AND HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!