Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No, I am not Pregnant, thank you. I'm just fat.

Hello. I was at Mc Donald's today eating what I call " The Last Supper". You see, today was my appointment for medical clearance with surgery set for Janaury 11th. I found out all about the pre-op diet and figured that I was go have my last hoorah over at Mc Donald's. As I was standing there, waiting for my greasy fattening food to arrive- some man walked up to me and said, " I have to compliment you on your looks." Great, I thought. Maybe I don't look all that bad. But this man went on to say, " You sure dress nice for a woman of your size." Nice. I left McDonald's without my food that I already paid for. I cannot believe things have gotten this bad. What the heck happened? I guess I just wasn't paying attention. Too wrapped up in life to notice that I was getting so overweight. More often than not, someone asks me, " When is your baby due?" I said, she was born 9 years ago. Well, this year, I am making my resolution to take control of my life- starting with my weight and my health. If you don't pay attention, the years slip by, the pounds creep on, and one day you are stuck shopping in the plus size section right next to the maternity clothes. And what sucks even more, is the clothes for pregnant women are cuter than the plus size clothes. My feet are so wide that I cannot find shoes like I used to. It's getting tougher to get into restaurant booths. I don't know how I didn't notice before just how bad it was or is. I knew I was overweight but MORBIDLY OBESE? Nah, not me right? Well, my eyes are wide open now looking forward to my surgery date and a new life to begin!

I know exactly how you feel, I've been asked so many times when am I due... my last child was born 7 yrs ago!! I've always known I was "over weight", "fat".... never did I consider myself Morbidly Obese.... to me that was someone who wasn't able to get out of bed due to their size... not me... but as time went on I had a harder time find clothes to fit...even in the plus size section of most department stores...going to restaurants and asking for a table instead of a booth for fear I wouldn't be able to fit in it.. this is when I knew I was Morbidly Obese and it just hurt!!!

Well my new life has now begun because I was banded this past Monday Dec. 20th. I'm very EXCITED but at the same time very NERVOUS of how I'm going to handle not turning to food for every little thing that happens in my life... tomorrow is Christmas Eve and we have family gatherings to go to, there will be all kinds of delicious foods and everyone eating except for me... I'm wondering how I will handle this...

I keep telling myself it's only for a little while, soon I'll be able to start introducing foods back into my diet... but for right now it's WILL POWER I have to rely on to get me through this... oh and this wonderful website that is full of all the support I need... Good Luck on your journey!! It's a wonderful one to be on!

Oh I can relate! you know, I was really thin once. I was merely 108lbs. that was 5 years ago. Then I got pregnant, twice, got carried away with bad food decisions and no exercise... no I am double the weight I used to be. I am 4'9" tall, so I am a very short morbidly obese 26 year old!

When my son was 6mo I got pregnant with my daughter. It happened so soon and unexpected to everyone that now when they see me hide behind huge sweatshirts from the old navy plus size section, they joke about me being pregnant again... soon, and unexpectedly. I laugh, not to cry... although I do cry inside, how did it happen? how did I become this? I don't even recognize myself when I look at the mirror, somebody told me on Christmas eve "what's wrong with you? your eyes look sad, you don't only look older, you 'feel' older" I know what's wrong with me, almost 100 pounds that I can't get rid off on my own because it's like I reached the "no return" point. I can't exercise because of excruciating pain on my knees and ankles. I used to climb mountains, I used to swim, roller skate, I used to be a gymnast. Now, I feel like I am a 80 year old woman, and I'm not kidding, my energy is gone along with my joy for life. But you know what? It never hit me before... I was packing on pounds and never noticed, until one day I didn't allow anyone to take pictures of me, and after 8 trips me and my family took this year, we got home and i started seeing pictures of my kids enjoying our vacations... I wasnt in their pictures, it's like ME, their mommy, never existed in any pictures, or in their childhood. Then it hit me... I am wasting precious time, I am wasting the opportunity to create and preserve memories with them. And unconsciously i was avoiding the pictures because of my weight. That's why I started the process for the lap band... Sometimes things like this have to happen in order for us put some value in ourselves, our lives and our bodies. I learned my lesson, now I am on my Quest of being healthy and happy, and also raise 2 healthy and happy kids. I am looking forward to be banded and start my new chapter, and be as healthy as I can be!

I'm sorry you had to go through that. I've become a lot more mouthy in my old age and probably would have said something that I should regret but would'nt like "I may regret being fat but do you regret being rude?". One day at the gym after I had already lost about 40 pounds a little girl in the locker room said to her mother "That lady is really fat". I was so upset 1) becuase even after all my work I knew I was still fat 2)becuase the mother just averted her eyes and yanked the kid along and did not chastise her for the rudeness.

Oh, I felt it, as I read it. This month, at a ballet show my dd was in, I had a 3 year old walk up to me and point to my belly and say baby. At least the skinny pregnant mother was on the ball with a good lie for me: "She says that to every woman." Curiously not to the thin ballet moms. I have my first apt. with surg.center Jan 5th.

To all who have posted here...I say to you....Good for you, you are willing and determined to make a change not only for yourselves, but for those that you love! People will be rude, ignorant, uncaring, and just plain embarrassed for what comes out of their or their family's mouth, but it has made you more aware and with awareness can come strength. You my dears have come to some ugly conclusions (much like the rest of us have) and you are doing something about!

I am truly sorry that you were hurt in this process and nothing worth while will come easy, but look at you now and know what you will be in the future....feeling good about ourselves, because we are already beautiful where it counts in the heart!:D

I like to embarrass people right back when they ask if I am pregnant...I say nope...then slap my belly and say just fat...they turn so red and stumble all over themselves to aplogize or run away.

The fact is, they don't know you. They know nothing about you and I honestly beleive most people don't mean to be rude. It can be hurtful but we have to be strong and confident in knowing that we are doing what we can to make our lives the best they can be and that means everything.

Children pointing and saying I am fat doesn't really bother me because it is usually an innocent observation. I have young ones myself so I am sure that helps with the perspective but I have had my own kids point to other obese people in a store and say they are really fat. I take that opportunity to tell them, people come in all shapes and sizes. Look at me, look at you, look at your Dad...we are all different...can you imagine how boring the world would be if we all looked the same? And then I explain to them that it's not nice to point out flaws no matter how obvious it might seem because it can be truly hurtful. My kids get it. I just think the parents that say nothing just whisk the kids away and probably chastise them when they are no longer within ear shot. It can be truly devastating and surprising to hear your kids say something they shouldn't and catch you off guard.

SCREW ALL THE RUDE PEOPLE OUT THERE. You are still beautiful and after the surgery you will feel even more beautiful.

Its sucks to be fat. it really does. i am uncomfortable in my own body these days. Just always remember the fat girl you are now, cause when you skinny butt is fitting into a size 10 jeans - and you are feeling fabulous, dont loose the person you are today.

I love your post...in particular the part where you talk about how time passes by so quickly.... It is so true. I spent most of my 30s and now most of my 40s being overweight. Sure, there were times I lost and I ALMOST was on the verge of feeling good about myself...then, GAINED IT ALL BACK AND THEN SOME! Sigh..

I don't know what is sadder...when I was asked if I was pregnant in the past....OR the fact that I am not asked that anymore, at the age of 46. Wahhhhh!!

We are taking charge of our food addictions. This is a huge step and we can be successful!!

Hello. I was at Mc Donald's today eating what I call " The Last Supper". You see, today was my appointment for medical clearance with surgery set for Janaury 11th. I found out all about the pre-op diet and figured that I was go have my last hoorah over at Mc Donald's. As I was standing there, waiting for my greasy fattening food to arrive- some man walked up to me and said, " I have to compliment you on your looks." Great, I thought. Maybe I don't look all that bad. But this man went on to say, " You sure dress nice for a woman of your size." Nice. I left McDonald's without my food that I already paid for. I cannot believe things have gotten this bad. What the heck happened? I guess I just wasn't paying attention. Too wrapped up in life to notice that I was getting so overweight. More often than not, someone asks me, " When is your baby due?" I said, she was born 9 years ago. Well, this year, I am making my resolution to take control of my life- starting with my weight and my health. If you don't pay attention, the years slip by, the pounds creep on, and one day you are stuck shopping in the plus size section right next to the maternity clothes. And what sucks even more, is the clothes for pregnant women are cuter than the plus size clothes. My feet are so wide that I cannot find shoes like I used to. It's getting tougher to get into restaurant booths. I don't know how I didn't notice before just how bad it was or is. I knew I was overweight but MORBIDLY OBESE? Nah, not me right? Well, my eyes are wide open now looking forward to my surgery date and a new life to begin!

Jackass...that is not how you give a compliment to a lady! It sounds like something my Dad would say, basically a bonehead observation. Turn it around..you DO look good (especialllllly for someone your size), which is about to change anyway!