Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey guys! I've never had any kind of surgery before, so I really know nothing about the day of surgery. I just want to know if you have any piercings did you have to take them out when you went in for surgery? I have several piercings and a couple of them are pretty new and I'm worried about them closing up if they have to be taken out.

Also, this may be a stupid question, but I was wondering if you were allowed to wear panties into surgery. I'm worried about those horrible hospital gowns with the opening in back! Haha.

no piercings...i have my nose, tragus, rook, etc done, and they all have to come out...i don't know if it's universal, but i couldn't wear underwear in surgery. my gown, however, was huge, so i didn't have any problem covering up.

I have been requested full bottomed panties...no questions about piercings, just that I must be free of jewellery

I was not able to wear underwear and I had to get plastic retainers for all of my piercings. ALL of them lol

Thank you all for responding! I guess I'll be looking for retainers for my piercings!

Thank you all for responding! I guess I'll be looking for retainers for my piercings!

Well I had a nipple piercing going in!!! Came out without one it was in a bag waiting for me. They said he could started sparks lol. But all my others came out.

I noticed you had surgery the same day as me. My nutritionist and doctor both said I could try solids after 2-3 weeks and although I still have no appetite yet, I have been trying little bites of meat such as turkey, pork chop, and roast beef. They seem to go down ok as I have no problem or pain with them. My doctor said don't eat if your not hungry so I feel guilty for eating them, but I know I need protien and eat nothing else. What is your post op diet, and have you tried any solids yet? Do you have any hunger pains yet? I'd appreciate any information you could give me on your experience if you don't mind sharing. Thanks :)

I was not able to wear underwear and I had to get plastic retainers for all of my piercings. ALL of them lol

I have 17 piercings and I usually have to take all my piercings out. When I was first banded I had just gotten a piercings a few weeks before so I refused to take the piercing out. The nurses kept bugging me but then I talked to my doc and he let it be ( it was an ear piercing).

Other times I have had surgeries I usually have to take everything out but I have always left my nose piercing in, sometimes my nipple piercings and sometimes that one ear piercing. It depends on the surgery I am having and what my doctor says.

I would ask your doc to see what he says is ok to stay in. If you explain that you just got a new piercing he might just tape the piercing and or tell you to get the clear plastic things instead of the metal in the piercing.

Hey guys! I've never had any kind of surgery before, so I really know nothing about the day of surgery. I just want to know if you have any piercings did you have to take them out when you went in for surgery? I have several piercings and a couple of them are pretty new and I'm worried about them closing up if they have to be taken out.

Also, this may be a stupid question, but I was wondering if you were allowed to wear panties into surgery. I'm worried about those horrible hospital gowns with the opening in back! Haha.

I had to take all my piercings out, but I've had them all for years. The latest one was 4 years old. Also, I was not allowed to wear panties and did NOT like it. As soon as I was out and coherent I asked if I could put them back on. The hospital gowns at the hospital I was at came around to the side and tied so there was no opening in the back (thank goodness!!)