Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

In and Out of Bed

Anyone have any tips for getting in and out of bed? I've set up a bunch of pillows to mimic a hospital bed for back support, but when I try to get back up out of bed, I strain my abs and it friggin hurts ! My incisions are still pretty fresh, only been banded about 24 hours. I'm assuming it gets better ?

Anyone have any tips for getting in and out of bed? I've set up a bunch of pillows to mimic a hospital bed for back support, but when I try to get back up out of bed, I strain my abs and it friggin hurts ! My incisions are still pretty fresh, only been banded about 24 hours. I'm assuming it gets better ?

I am 6 days post op and still have a little trouble getting up from a chair or bed. I just sort of "rock" myself to a standing position. Its quite graceful. LOL

It does get better. Today is my first day back to work..... and I am fine but just a bit uncomfortable sitting all day. At lunch I walked around the office several times to just move around.... it was slow but i feel better.

Cool, I was thinking of trying to slither out somehow, lol, definitely not very graceful. i'm just worried a bout the incisions opening up by straining too hard.

Cool, I was thinking of trying to slither out somehow, lol, definitely not very graceful. i'm just worried a bout the incisions opening up by straining too hard.

I have butterfly bandages on mine and at my post op yesterday the Dr replaced on of them and said they looked good... only a few more days for precaution. So I am betting yours will be fine too.

for getting out of bed i had my husbands help for the first couple of days, but I didn't go into a laying down position when he wasn't home. I have a body pillow that works miracles. I doube it over and prop it under my lower back, and on about day four I could get out of bed on my own. Wasn't pretty and it still felt crappy but I was able to do it by myself. relax while you can, but it does get better.

I had surgery last Monday 12/6 and I am still having trouble getting in and out of bed..and from sitting to standing position. When I am getting out of bed (I sleep on my right side) and that is also the edge of the bed. I swing my legs out (staying on my side) and push myself up side ways. If you have a recliner try laying in the recliner. For me it was most comfortable and was easier for me to sleep and rest. I am still in my recliner...I love it. I do sleep in bed...but only a few hours at night.. Its really uncomfortable for me (i am a belly sleeper)!

I swung my legs over and used my elbow to push up on to. Day 5 post op today and I can get in an out just like I used to.

it took me a good 4 days before my muscles didnt hurt. my heating pad was my savior.

hi all i just use to prop myself up in bed and roll out sideways in the morning lol

Try blowing air out through your mouth, while getting out of bed or up from the toilet. Sure worked for me.

Yea take a deep breath in when you get up or sit down. Just do it quickly, it's going to hurt. I feel like i have more pain and trouble if i baby it. I had mine on Monday and it's much easier getting in and out this morning.

I've been sleeping on the couch which is ok for like an hour haha then I have to sleep sitting up, so I've been sleeping in my parents bed when they get up in the morning. Going back to my place tonight. I can't wait to be able to sleep on my side!!

It's definitely more pain and trouble when you baby it!

Lucky me, the day after surgery thought I was gonna barf so had to roll over and hop up pretty quick to grab the trash can. After all that, I just had a teeny dry heave...and that for some reason made me laugh hysterically. So between laughing and hauling myself out of bed to barf, I got over any pain fast.

I was banded six days ago and had the same issue. I found that having a family member or my boyfriend help me up for the first 3 days helped alot. I also found that standind still for a minute after getting up, helped to lessen the pain instead of jumping right into motion.I still have been using alot of pillows in the bed. It does get easier though, it doesnt hurt me near as much to get up and down now.But i just wish I could feel my port. Im eager to know where it is!

I was banded six days ago and had the same issue. I found that having a family member or my boyfriend help me up for the first 3 days helped alot. I also found that standind still for a minute after getting up, helped to lessen the pain instead of jumping right into motion.I still have been using alot of pillows in the bed. It does get easier though, it doesnt hurt me near as much to get up and down now.But i just wish I could feel my port. Im eager to know where it is!

I want to know where my port is too. I called the dr's office to ask a few quiestions and that was one of them. I told them I need to know where things are in my body...LOL. I felt weird asking but I just had to know. They told me its where the horizontal cut is...thats just under my left breast where my rib cage is. hmmm ok! Just glad I m not the only one left wondering!

haha I have no idea where mine is either.. and i have no horizontal cut, just 4 small ones.. the middle one has a larger bandage, maybe thats it haha