Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

In 2004, I lost my dad's eldest brother to diabetic complications, he was on dialysis and an amputee.

Today I can't help but flash back to December 22, 2005. It was the day I lost my dad. He was diabetic, overweight, and suffered from every ailment under the moon when it came to his weight. He was nearly 450 pounds when he passed away at the age of 54. He never took care of himself. The night he died I remember him telling me he needed to work on his weight because it was getting out of control. I was 21 years old and at the time probably weighing 340lbs. Within and hour of that conversation with my dad, he was dead.

I have a cousin that was diagnosed with juvenile diabetes, entered her adult life and kidney failure hit, dialysis set it, and it was downward spiral. She passed away on Sunday of complications from her dialysis. We had her services on Tuesday. I prayed and counted my blessings that I have not yet followed in her footsteps. I'm going to miss her terribly, she was 29.

This morning, I had a phonecall from my brother. He said "Uncle Ray just died." So many things ran through my mind including the thought that it was a joke and wasn't happening. It was that feeling I felt when I lost my dad. He too was diabetic, on dialysis, and suffered from all the same ailments as my dad but worse.

Today, I see how precious life is and how important this band is in allowing me to live another day on this earth and become healthy.

Oh, Angela, I'm so sorry for all of your losses!

You're right though- there's no day like today to start living a healthier, happier life. Most of the diseases that are killing people, at least in this country, are related to the way we live our lives. It's hard to get that stuff under control, but we got a lap-band to help us do just that.

Life is precious. Thank you for reminding us!

Angela,

I am so sorry for the loss of so many in your family. I applaud you for taking steps to ensure that your life is not only different, but long and healthy. You are very brave. I say that because it can't be easy to be the "maverick" in your family and take a different route. Upsetting the status quo in any family has its challenges. KUDOS to you! :D

While your story is a sad one, it is truly a reminder to all to count our blessings -- big and small. You make me so glad I had this surgery.

Thank you for sharing.

All the best to you on your journey.

~Fran

Oh my Gosh....what a story.

Life really is, so very fleeting...

Thank God we have been given a 1st, or last of many chances.

Be Well and God Bless,

Rebecca

I amsoglad you have beenableto make changes to stop the family health issue. This is alot for one person to bear. I hope you have support. Keep up your good work. Hopefully you will be an inspiration to your family.

I am very sorry for your loss. It is never easy to lose a loved one. I will keep your family in my prayers and you also. I hope that you will continue your journey and i wish you much sucess in breaking the cycle of health issues. i also feel blessed that i had the surgery even if i am having struggles right now. Our lives truely are a blessing and we have to count each moment as one.

what a strong woman you are! You will have a good life. You know how far the decision to take care of ourselves goes. Like you, I took a "pre-emptive strike' against all the ailments that go along with obesity. Thank God we have this chance!

In 2004, I lost my dad's eldest brother to diabetic complications, he was on dialysis and an amputee.

Today I can't help but flash back to December 22, 2005. It was the day I lost my dad. He was diabetic, overweight, and suffered from every ailment under the moon when it came to his weight. He was nearly 450 pounds when he passed away at the age of 54. He never took care of himself. The night he died I remember him telling me he needed to work on his weight because it was getting out of control. I was 21 years old and at the time probably weighing 340lbs. Within and hour of that conversation with my dad, he was dead.

I have a cousin that was diagnosed with juvenile diabetes, entered her adult life and kidney failure hit, dialysis set it, and it was downward spiral. She passed away on Sunday of complications from her dialysis. We had her services on Tuesday. I prayed and counted my blessings that I have not yet followed in her footsteps. I'm going to miss her terribly, she was 29.

This morning, I had a phonecall from my brother. He said "Uncle Ray just died." So many things ran through my mind including the thought that it was a joke and wasn't happening. It was that feeling I felt when I lost my dad. He too was diabetic, on dialysis, and suffered from all the same ailments as my dad but worse.

Today, I see how precious life is and how important this band is in allowing me to live another day on this earth and become healthy.

God bless you , Angela, you truly have an angel watching over you! Your Daddy, and other family were your warning, and you received the message.

Thank you for posting this remarkable message of hope, for yourself, and others. Rest assured that you are on the path toward a more healthier you. God bless you and have a Peace filled Holiday season. May you heal from your losses. Karen(kll724)

Thankfully you have made the step to not follow in the footsteps of those who have passed. I can't tell you how sorry I am that you have been hit with so many passings in such a short time. Live your life to the fullest.

Angera so sorry for your losses. I think you have a very healthy attitude and will become the healthy person you want to be. You have a great support team here, and can talk to us any time.It does take time to get the weight off, but every pound is a step in the right direction.And just remember "A journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step."

~kelly!~

Thank you all for the kind words. I was truly taken back by the happenings of this week. I had gotten so consumed with numbers, smaller clothes that I lost focus of the most important aspect of this journey...........my health! It's so easy to get lost in a world of "being skinny", but at the end of the day it's the "being healthy" part that matters most.

I've been with my family the past few days and it's so overwhelming. Too much food everywhere and i'm not used to eating the way they do anymore! My dad and his siblings (9 of them total) grew up very poor. In their adult lives, they've always had problems with "excess" when it came to food. They never wanted to go hungry as they did when they were younger, so they tend to make too much or buy too much food. I think this is the root or where my food problems arise. My dad had a tendency to always buy so much food and cook so much and well I ate so much! While thankfully, I have never known what is it to go hungry because of a lack of resources, I've had to retrain my brain to think that excess isn't always good.

Tonight is my uncle's memorial service, I can truly say that my time here has been such a great experience. I've spent a lot of time with my dad's siblings. I love looking at my family and seeing how each one of them have shaped the person that i've become. I am truly blessed. I've heard people are shaped by the things they experience in life. I've experienced so much sadness and I know the best is yet to come.

I firmly believe through all the sadness will come my greatest happiness in life.................living it to the fullest in my "healthy body" :)