Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is there a time limit on losing weight?

When I researched the lap band I read that you can expect a 60% weight loss. I have also read that you lose mostly in the first year. After finding these boards I saw that many people had lost more than the predicted 60%, some even hit their goal, and lots continued to lose after the 1 year mark. Because of this I was banded in July 2010 and I've very excited about my current 56lb weight loss. I'm hoping the 60% that I read about was just a CYA from a clinical prespective, but what about the 1 year theory? Can anyone help me wrap my mind around this?

Thanks!

i'm 2.5 years post-op and came into this journey will a relative low BMI but i still needed the help losing weight. i did lose the majority of my weight during the first year but continued to lose about 2 pounds a month during the second year. at my 2nd year anniversary, my doctor declared me a "success" because i had lost the 60% of the weight.

while i'm EXTREMELY happy about that, i asked him what my chances were of losing 80 or even 100% of the excess weight. he told me my chances were slim. well, that really made me mad!

in the last 7 months since my visit to him, i've lost an additional 14 pounds! it's been a s-l-o-w process but it CAN be done!

I think like all statistics, they're just that - numbers on a paper. They dont have much to do with YOU personally and have nothing to do with your intentions or mindset. And you can make yourself determined to not be part of the average or the statistics. My grandfather always said that whatever the outcome is, that is truly what your intentions were. It's harsh but true. If your intention is to lose all of your excess weight (or my goal is to lose my excess body fat percentage and be in the healthy to athletic range for a female my age) then you will be able to do it. There are many people on here who have met their goal with their band.

I'm almost 2 1/2 years out and my original goal was 160, I hit that at about a year and a half out so I lowered my goal to 150 and hit that at my 2 year mark. I'm not an exerciser (Hate to admit it) But I do watch what I eat to this day. I went on maintance and didn;t do to well, I gained 6 lbs so and to go back into the losing stage. I now have 4 more lbs to get back where I was. The one thing I've learned from this experience is it's a life long journey it doesn't end. But I know it's well worth it. Everyone is different what works for one doesn't always work for another and everyone loses at their own pace. For some it just seems to drop off and others fight for every pound. I think how much one loses and how long they will lose is pretty much a one on one basis. Don't worry yourself about it to much just keep following the rules and I bet you get where you want to go. Good luck

Great advice from everyone and I like the different views. It helps a lot, thank you very much.

I don't think there's a time limit with the band.

I lost 118 lbs my first year, and have gone on to lose another 53 in the 9 months since then. As I get smaller, the weight loss slows, but if I continue to work it, it should continue to work.

I think the first year or honeymoon phase is probably more applicable to other WLS.

When I researched the lap band I read that you can expect a 60% weight loss. I have also read that you lose mostly in the first year. After finding these boards I saw that many people had lost more than the predicted 60%, some even hit their goal, and lots continued to lose after the 1 year mark. Because of this I was banded in July 2010 and I've very excited about my current 56lb weight loss. I'm hoping the 60% that I read about was just a CYA from a clinical prespective, but what about the 1 year theory? Can anyone help me wrap my mind around this?

Thanks!

Hi there! Congrats on your success so far! Doesn't it feel fantastic?? As far as your question goes, I have to side with one of the original responses...I believe that with the lap band, you get out of it exactly what you put into it. I read those same stats, but made up my mind to do better. The first part of my loss was ALL in part to my band. Everything since then has been because I modified my eating habits and I am diligent about my activity level. I am THRILLED with my results and am just now carving off my last 15 pounds. This has been a wonderful "tool" for me to use. It has NEVER been "the answer" to my weight issues, kwim?

Thank you so much, I do feel great! I do think I could do better though with my eating habits. I'm going to go back on focus on the basics. I am determined to lose my weight and end this fight with fat! How often did you need a fill? I know it very individual but I'm curious on the average timeline.

I would think if you are losing weight really slowly, and you are cheating, you will lose motivation. But, yea I think it's just a number. For me, I want to lose all the weight right now! I didn't spend all this money for it to take years and years. But I think you can still use the band as a tool in the future if you get off track.

Today is my 2 year bandiversary; I actually lost more weight in my second year than my first. It took me about six months to reach my sweet spot, and by the end of a year I had lost about 55 pounds. I reached my initial goal after almost 18 months, and total this year I lost about 70; I'm not trying for any more, but will allow a few more to come off without worrying too much.

When I lost my 60% my Doctor said congratulations you are a sucess at this. But I was still consider overweight but he said the surgery did what was promised. Basically go home and enjoy life. But I have kept at it and lost another 25 lbs since them it is very slow and I have to workout every night. I have not had a fill in a year and could not handle one if I did. But I want to get last 15 lbs off and I will be happy. I have gone from 251 lbs to 167 lbs woulld like 15 more gone!!!

Cheri

Cheri