Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Undecided and Nervous

Sign in to follow this  

I am in the process of going through all of the testing and deciding about the surgery. I have so much weight to lose, I feel as if I am at the bottom of a giant mountain that I have to climb. I thought this was the right move for me but after the nutrician meeting I attended and reading some of these forums I am nervous. Do we really have to give up absolutely everything we enjoy? Is there really so many things that get stuck and do you really get sick so much? Then someone said they put weight on, how could that be when you eat as much as a shot glass. I am really worried about this surgery. Can anybody shed some positive light on this?

I gave up ABSOLUTELY nothing I enjoy!

Life is more normal after surgery if anything.

I still eat EVERYTHING I love. Just a lot less of it. That being said, I am a meat and potatoes guy that never really ate a lot of Cookies and candy.< /p>

Living alone, I eat out 5 to 7 days a week. I either order and appetizer or kids portion when available. If I do order an "adult entree", I ask for a to go box before I even start eating. I store what I don't plan on eating in the box and take it home for later.

I don't do fast food (any place with a drive thru). If you enjoy McDonalds,Jack-in-the-box or Taco Bell, you'll have to cut you portions and trips down.

NOTHING is bad in moderation!

I should also have added, congrats of being wise enough to do the research first.

Take your time, life is not a race and the Lapband will always be available if and when you decide to go through with it.

Good luck!!

i'm 2.5 years post-op and i have to be honest with you... in the beginning it's hard. right after your surgery (the first 2 weeks or so) you won't be hungry at all and it will seem impossible to get in all the required Protein but as your stomach heals after the surgery, your hunger will return and since your band will not be filled you will enter what is known as "Bandster Hell" because you're banded but have no restriction and all the familiar hunger pains will be there. you might not lose any weight the first month after surgery so that can bring on depression. after a fill or 2 you'll feel the restriction and that's when the work really begins...

for me, one of the the hardest parts has been knowing when to stop eating. your band will tell you when its had enough but your brain tells you to keep eating because it tastes SO good. if you listen to the band, you'll be fine. if you listen to your brain, you'll throw up. the second hardest parts is dealing with the foods your band will no longer tolerate. for me, i can no longer eat bread... which includes pizza (my most favorite food EVER). i also can't eat hamburger or popcorn... other favorite foods.

after time, you learn to adapt your eating habits. while i can't eat the bread from the pizza but i can eat the cheese and toppings which is the best part anyway. i still crave burgers and get extremely jealous when a friend or family member orders one but i don't like the consequence i have to face if i DO try to eat one. you become so much more in tune with your body that its amazing. i went from wearing baggy mostly black clothes to proudly showing off my curves with bold colors. i love the compliments i get. i love shopping now! i love feeling healthy which makes me HAPPY!

it's a difficult journey but my happiness is worth it!

"Do we really have to give up absolutely everything we enjoy?" Maybe, if you do get very strict with your diet you will lose faster. There are basically 2 ways to do it, go very intense and lose quicker or take the laid back approach and enjoy more of your foods and lose slower, you will have to decide which is better for you.

" Is there really so many things that get stuck and do you really get sick so much?" I only get stuck now when I eat too fast or too much. I can eat any food I want.

"Then someone said they put weight on, how could that be when you eat as much as a shot glass." I have always eaten more than that, I limit my food to about a cup at a meal.

I had my band relatively tight for the last 3 months that I was losing, and there were a few things that I couldn't eat and I had to eat soooo slowwww that it was almost silly but once I got to goal (3.5 months ago) I had .2cc removed from my band and I can (and do) eat anything. I eat my normal diet Monday- Friday but on Saturday and Sunday I eat anything I want (in the proper portion so I don't stretch my stomach) and my weight has been stable, within 5 pounds. So I think that I have normal eating habits now. But I do have to say what I consider normal now is not what I thought normal was then. My body requires MUCH less food than I thought possible.

My life seems more "normal" now that I have taken off 107 pounds. I used to avoid social situations because I felt so fat and so bad about the way I looked. I can do simple things now that I had much trouble with before ..... getting in my husband's truck, cutting/painting my toenails, going up/down stairs, wearing normal size clothes...........

My stomach is very sensitive to many of the foods that give bandsters trouble, but it has been so worth it.

I thought I would miss some foods much more than I do. I loved pizza and all other types of fast food. Now that stuff just doesn't even sound good. I really do not miss it. I do not throw up or get sick in any way very often. There have been a few times, but I learned my lesson quickly and avoid the foods or situations that cause problems.

I really haven't given up everything I love - for the most part it is just the portions that have decreased. I eat around a cup of food for my meals and am satisfied. I can pretty much eat anything I want. I have only been "stuck" a few times and have actually only "vomited" once - I have learned real quick how to eat, both of these problems were caused by me eating too fast and taking to big of bites. I have lost steadily since June and am very happy with my progress. Now if I could only just make more time to get to the gym :)